Hey KIWIS

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by skysailor, Apr 6, 2013.

1. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Just starting to plan a journey to NZ nest Jan or Feb. I'll have 2 weeks. Would like to rent a bike and do the South Island. So, many questions.
    Best time of year?
    Probably fly into AKL and go from there?
    Types of bikes and costs?
    Good spots to rent?
    Or...you can visit Canada and borrow my DR650 if I can borrow yours? Wonder if anybody does that sort of thing?
    Lots of time to plan so any ideas welcome.
    Cheers
    Lyle
  2. NZAL

NZAL n00b

Oddometer:
    If you only want to do the South Island, then maybe look at flying into Christchurch.it's embarrassing for me to admit I haven't ridden the South Island, though I spend a week down there every month for work (driving), there are so many great roads, Central Otago, West Coast that it would be too hard to choose (I'll let those who have ridden there tell you).

Basically New Zealand is one great bike trip from top to bottom (just stay off SH1).

Bike hire appears to be in the $ 150 to 300 per day range, would suggest something other than a "wing" but really, it depends on your riding style.

Al
  3. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Al. A "wing" No thank you! More like a mid sized DS bike. DR, KLR and the like. Might actually try to buy one if I can find a dealer to set up a "buy bacK" with? I visited the Hawkes Bay area last year. Enjoyed it greatly. Other than the purpose of the trip, that is. Would go back to Taupo (sp?) in a flash! Great roads, great people.
    Lyle

Taupo from the hotel:
    [​IMG]

Great roads.....from the cockpit of a 1 Series BMW:
    [​IMG]
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi mate, as above, for the South Is I would fly into & hire something from Christchurch. Jan-Feb-Mar is indeed the best time.

Have a look at the NZ FAQ & ride reports, keep us posted in the NZ forum if you want to meet a few locals along the way.

Cheers
    Clint
  5. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    January over here is school holiday time, February is normally the best summer month.
  6. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    or even march