Type I diabetics - your insulin/diet strategy

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by SiouxsieCat, Jan 20, 2013.

1. SiouxsieCat

SiouxsieCat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a solo 2 week trip through SD, WY, CO this summer. I use Novalog and Lantus, a pretty common combination.
    Obviously, I'm not going to be able to keep this stuff cool. I plan to carry all food/water - primarily dehydrated meals.
    Type 1's - what is your strategy for long, somewhat-primitive trips? Any special diet or dosage tips?

Thanks very much
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you discussed strategy with your doctor ?
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There are a bunch of threads on this topic already that may give you some of the information you are looking for. ("Search This Forum" "Diabetes")

Take a look at these and see if they help you out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695208&highlight=diabetes

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567777&highlight=diabetes

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369373&highlight=diabetes

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310473&highlight=diabetes

Hope this information proves helpful to you.
  4. SiouxsieCat

Oddometer:
    Ya, this would be part of my normal discourse with her.

Perfect. Obviously my search skills need improvement. Thanks!
  5. Yakima

Yakima Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a pumper for about six years; type 1 for 46 years. I'm 56.
    Check out "frio" or its equivalent for keeping insulin cool.
    Insulin pens are helpful. I injected through clothes on many occasions without ill effects.
    I did break a pump falling on it. I now wear it around my neck on a lanyard under my jacket.
    Check your Bg every hour or 90 minutes, especially for the first two days, to discover your rhythms.
    Adjust accordingly.
    being alone means maybe running a bit high at bedtime lest you run into lows at night.
    It's really no big deal.
    Good luck. Be smart. Don't worry.
  6. trippda

trippda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Type 1 since i was 12 here. I am on the Novolog/Lantus regiment too. First I would spend a few weeks prior to your trip making sure you are really comfortable with your lantus dosage and carb to insulin ratio. Counting carbs should be easy with packaged dehydrated meals. If it is not labeled, I would reasearch carb/mass ratios and weigh out ideal portions so you know.

I use pens, so it is not really necessary to keep that small an amount cold. Highly recommended. :thumb

I second Yakima saying to check as often as possible for your first few legs of the journey to get your rhythm down.

One strategy the Doc told me about when I went to summer camp way back when, that I still use sometimes is to not be afraid to run a little high. Because as you know, last thing in the world you want is to go low while your riding. I find the physical symptoms of hypo really hard to notice while riding. This heightens the risk for dehydration though so beee careful!

I want a pump though
  7. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    You'd be shocked at how little the average dr knows about type 1. Having had it for 26 years, I've been through many of 'em, and it seems to be a pretty common trend. Rather the norm, as opposed to the exception, unfortunately.
  8. panhead rick

panhead rick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im pretty sure the pens dont have to be kept cold,i just started useing them...ive been dieabetic for 25 years and only had 1 bottle of novalog go bad because of the heat,,,but it was summer in nj and it was left in my truck the same way i always did.I pretty much have the same eating routine now for years so u should stick with your normal shots but keep snacks handy its better to be high on a bike than low thats the way i did it on my trips.just check your blood in the morning and you know your body better than any doctor,,even if your high a few days you will be fine.
  9. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Type 1's - what is your strategy for long, somewhat-primitive trips? Any special diet or dosage tips?

I carry clif bars (granola bars, cereal bars, etc) everywhere- it's actually pretty annoying lugging that crap around all the time.
    I test my blood every 2 hours or so- even more when I'm riding. But, I don't eat breakfast, eat a small lunch, and a big dinner, so traveling is easier when you only need one big meal per day.
    As others have said... I'd take the same insulin as normal, but if I were going to change my dose, I'd err on the less insulin side. High blood sugar takes years to kill you... low blood sugar kills you overnight.
  10. kreegah

kreegah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yes you are - and you should. Get a couple of them Frio wallets or just soak a t-shirt and wrap it around your pens/vials/whatever if the weather gets hot. Evaporation will do the trick.

Remember to pack your prescriptions, too (just in case).
  11. KinkyWinks

KinkyWinks El Gringo Perdido

Oddometer:
    I bought a 12volt/110volt cooler on e-bay that holds several bottles or 3 (I think) pens. It's about 6"x6"x12" I have ran it on 110 to test it. I have not wired it up to the Goldwing yet but, I plan to use it this summer. I have seen several types on e-bay, the one I got was around $70
  12. DevGuy

DevGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Frio pouches. They've worked for me when I did MDI and I use one now for my Novolog bottle used to fill a pump. I've ridden lengthy trips in Eastern Oregon and California with no issues due to heat.

If at all possible, I'd suggest a CGM. I use one that I put in a waterproof map case strapped to my arm (from Aerostich). As I'm riding, I can simply push the button and see where my blood sugar is.

If CGM isn't an option for you, then stop frequently to check even if you THINK you're good.

As for diet, I actually find eating low carb helps me with more consistent sugar levels. Less insulin means the numbers are far more stable but this isn't something you want to start just before a trip.

Darcy

13. SiouxsieCat

Oddometer:
    Frio purchased!