Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. wingam00

wingam00 Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer:
    Try this link: http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=104_99&products_id=246

(not my site or do I have any stake in the site.)

QUOTE=PhiSig1071;21467844]I need the quarter turn/dzus fasteners for my airbox cover. My bike has non-stock bodywork, and when the new airbox cover was installed the PO didn't retain the locking washers on the dzus fasteners, and there are two missing.

I've been to my local ACE, O'Reilly, Cycle Gear, Merle's Auto, Performance Off-Road, and the Suzuki dealer. None of them have anything that will work. I looked at eBay and Amazon, and all they have are complete kits for $20-$30 (bolt, base, etc)

Surely I'm not the only person that needs these fasteners? Where can I get them?[/QUOTE]
  2. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that will work, but I was hoping not to spend $20 when I need two fasteners and that's it. If I can't find anything else then I'll go with that.
  3. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask over at Thumpertalk DRZ board. There is someone who bought a bunch a while back and is selling them at reasonable prices. I can't remember his name, but just start a thread or do a search for dzus and you'll find what you are looking for.
  4. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    A member named SunDog, I sent him a PM. I'll let you know if it works out, I can't be the only one that needs them. Thanks.
  5. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    oops I see you already tried kurvy girl. Dzuz fasteners are tough..
  6. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's who I got mine from a few years back.....
  7. soul_adventurer

soul_adventurer grin and bear it

Oddometer:
    i want to take off the factory fitted tailight plastic as its too ugly. what brand is the best, neatest looking, easy to install taillight/indicator combo i can fit. i have looked at acerbis but still shopping around.

i see a lot of drz's have the chain guard removed. i figure if i remove the guard the bottom of my panniers will cop a load of dirt and gunge. whats other peoples experiences with this?

any recommendations for a steering dampner? brand?

i will also revist my intention to fit two round headlights. any info on this mod would be appreciated. i want to fit a small windshiled as well.
  8. rycomm

rycomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the Edge taillight is the most popular.

I don't think I'll be taking the chainguard off, but whatever works for some people.

Scotts seems to be the damper that most people go with. I don't have a damper, so no experience with that.

I like the look of the single large round headlight, but two singles may give it a bit of a hooligan look. Mine is still stock.

I'm sure all of this has been discussed at length on Thumper Talk.
    It may be worth the time to do a few searches there.

Ryan
  9. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
  10. axia

axia Super Schralpster

Oddometer:
    Is there a page somewhere of these 1300 that discusses sprocket sizes? I am due for a replacement, and I straight up don't get all the options. I mean, I guess I like the stock sizes but maybe I'm missing something glorious?
  11. See-Three

See-Three C3

Oddometer:
    I really like the look and functionality of the UFO tail light.

[​IMG]
    Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
  12. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
  13. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you get the Edge taillight, do yourself a favor and seal the lense and the holes where the wiring goes through the housing with silicon caulk. My two year old taillight just had to have a new resistor soldered to it because the taillight quit working. The brake light never failed though.
  14. Alacrity

Alacrity Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer:

Agreed

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If you're out in stuff like this - skip the Edge. As threadkiller notes, sealing issues. Imagine it can be sealed, but water finds a way - I prefer simple. Lotta slop here, regularly, couple riders have had problems with the Edge. May not be its intended use tho. Plate mod was free :D

4 years no issues with a full Trick Dualsport kit the UFO. Replaced the bulbs with LEDs - per Blaster11 post - we'll see how they hold up. Brighter tho.
  15. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Replaced the bulbs with LEDs - per Blaster11 post - we'll see how they hold up. Brighter tho."

what led is used ?
  16. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    I did the same to mine...big difference :D
  17. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
  18. Alacrity

Alacrity Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer:
  19. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    stock S gearing: 15/44
    stock E gearing: 14/47
    stock SM gearing: 15/41 (which, with the smaller SM wheel works out to about the same as 15/44 on the S)

for trail riding, imho, dropping the stock S gearing to 14/47 (like the E) is much, much better. 15/44 is too high for tight trails. i also like 14/47 better around the city (where speeds are generally under 50mph and you are doing lots of accelerating at lower speeds).

14/47 does mean you'll be revving higher at highway speeds, though, so there is a trade-off. (i do still cruise at 65 with mine at 14/47, but the engine is up in the RPM range.)

a lot of people seem to like to compromise at 15/47 or 14/44 which are about equivalent (1 tooth on the front is about equal to 3 teeth on the back) and puts you in between the stock S and stock E gearing.
  20. revmaaatin

revmaaatin Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer:

Nice post.
    On my DRZ 400S
    I am running the 13/44; moral equivelant of the 14/47.
    The new sprockets sitting on the bench are the 47 Rear, moving back and forth from 15 to 13.
    this will require a 114link chain.
    m.