New Color, New Dimension, New Value

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Eclecticmale, Sep 7, 2012.

1. mint julep

mint julep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ray, great to see life is good and your settled for bit.
    Looks like a great place. I must make a mental note. ;)
    Thru this RR, I'm with ya in spirit.

Thanks for sharing, safe travels amigo.:freaky
    Cheers,
    Dave.
  2. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray
    Have tou set a budget for yourself or are you just winging it?
  3. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    7 April 2013, I headed out of Antigua on my way to visit Semuc Champay, and it turned out to be a bad day for riding, but a great day for human kindness. As I traveled on what seemed to be a smooth ride, the pave road ended and the dirt/hard rock road began throughout the mountains of central Guatemala. I lost control of the bike and crashed after two hours of riding these rough roads. The bike was too heavy to get upright by myself, so I had to wait until other guys came by to offer help. We got the bike upright within 15 minutes, but by then the damage was done, and the bike would not start. I tried everything to get the bike started, so I decided to call my friend Shawn in Antigua, and get him to google “V-Strom wont start”. That did not help, but Shawn told me that his wife Jessica and her father Byron were close to my location. So, Jessica called me got my location, and her father contacted the closest police station to my local. Jessica and her father told the local police of El Chol that I was an important missionary…long story short the police came to get me at 9PM. I left my bike at the police station and spent the night in a hotel in El Chol for free thanks to the local police.

The next morning I went to check on my bike, but police had contacted a local mechanic to stop by and look at my bike. The mechanic got my bike to start, but had to take the bike to his shop for a better look. At the shop they realized that I had damaged a solenoid and about three hours later my bike was ready. Since it was still an hour ride to an asphalt road, the police offered to carry my luggage and bags in their pickup, so that I would have an easier and lighter ride on the mountain unpaved road. We stopped at the town of Rabinal, and I got my luggage loaded, and we parted ways. I am truly thankful for all the help and assistance that was provided to me. I then made my way to the town of Salama to spend the night.

The following morning I made my way to the town of Flores, and found a decent hotel named Casa Amelia, and quickly decided to sign up for a sunrise tour of Tikal the next day. Did the Tikal tour the next morning, and returned to the hotel to give the bike an inspection, so that it would ready Belize. All was good, and I departed for Belize the next morning without any problems. After 5 hours of riding I made it to Placencia, Belize.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t stay too long in Placencia, only for about 5 days…it is a small beach town with not too much to do. I made my way north through Belize, I must say ii was not a scenic ride. It looks like Belize needs to do some infrastructure work on their roads, but all in all it was a smooth ride to the Mexican border. Exiting Belize was a very quick and easy…it was one of the best borders to cross. I arrived in Chetumal, Mexico around 4PM, and found a hotel that was clean and safe. While in Chetumal, I had my front and rear brake pads replaced and my luggage rack adjusted since it got bent pretty badly when I crashed in Guatemala. I spent 3 days in Chetumal touring the town and just being lazy, but that got old, so I packed my stuff and headed to Playa del Carmen, Mexico.

My ride to Playa del Carmen was uneventful, but it was nice to enjoy smooth roads and proper road signage. Playa del Carmen is a small resort town about 45 minutes drive south of Cancun, so I found a hotel about 2 blocks from the beach (which is very nice). So nice, I decided to stay at the playa for 30 to 60 days. I found a long term place to stay after I left the hotel, and it is 2 blocks from the beach and only $290.00 a month. It’s not that great, and I will have to search for a better place for my final month in Playa del Carmen. So right now I am just getting to know the in and outs of Playa del Carmen and making new friends every day.
  5. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    OK...........now................I'm in .....:evil

[​IMG]

Fred
  6. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That jacket looks like a black Steve McQueen :lol3

Hey man glad to see ya made it, pm me ill get you in touch with my buddy. Make sure you eat at El Fagon near the Walmart and get the Pastores.
  7. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The other day I needed to purchase some things from Wal Mart and while I was in line checking out, I ran into an old school rapper…Coolio. We started talking and I told him my story, he stated that he was doing a concert that night and gave me a free ticket. I made it to the concert, and was pleasantly surprised that Coolio had such an international following (who knew?). All and all the concert was went well, and I had a good night hanging out with Coolio, a real down to earth guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decided to leave Playa del Carmen, I have had my fill of the quasi American Beach town (i.e. Panama City Beach, Florida, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina). Playa del Carmen is a beautiful place, but there is nothing truly Mexican about the place…McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, Wal Mart, Sams, Sears…I could have stayed in the USA for that crap. I could only imagine this was a small town 20 years ago until Corporate America showed up, and the place lost its Mexican soul. It was about a 4 hour ride to Progreso, and the ride was uneventful. I arrived around 2PM and found a clean but very old hotel on the malecon for about 20 dollars per night. I found that Progreso is very inexpensive, and has really great seafood at half the cost of food in Playa del Carmen.

[​IMG]
    Playa del Carmen (PDC)

[​IMG]
    PDC

[​IMG]
    PDC

[​IMG]
    PDC

[​IMG]
    PDC

[​IMG]
    PDC

[​IMG]
    Seafood in Progreso

[​IMG]
    Seafood in Progreso

[​IMG]
    More seafood in Progreso

[​IMG]
    Progreso

[​IMG]
    Progreso

[​IMG]
    Progreso

[​IMG]
    Sunset in Progreso
  9. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It has been awhile since my last update, and I have been enjoying my time back in Mexico so far. I spent the last month or so in various cities being a tourist. I have met so truly great people, and taken some photos along the way. I don’t really have much to say, so please enjoy the photos. My plan is to return back to the United States by September when my visa expires. Please note I have no Oaxaca photos due to a massive festival...no hotel rooms...just stayed overnight.

[​IMG]
    My route

[​IMG]
    Campeche

[​IMG]
    Campeche

[​IMG]
    Campeche

[​IMG]
    Campeche

[​IMG]
    Merida

[​IMG]
    Merida

[​IMG]
    Cancun Sportsbar

[​IMG]
    Cancun Sportsbar

[​IMG]
    Cancun Sportsbar

[​IMG]
    Road to Puebla

[​IMG]
    Puebla

[​IMG]
    Puebla
  10. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your still having fun, that's what matters. What are your plans when you return to the U.S.?
    Phillip
  11. Eclecticmale

Eclecticmale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Phillip,

I plan to spend time with my father in Charleston, SC...he is getting up in age 77. I will start my job search, and hopefully find a job close to my father's home. I also plan to continue to live with less, and save all of my cash and start a new motorcycle adventure in the near future. Thanks for asking.

Raymond
  12. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was starting to wonder how you were doing. Had lost track of your updates in my email that is only dedicated to ride reports. Thanks for the pics! From the pics you've truly enjoyed your travels!

Later
    John
  13. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw this RR. A lot of great pictures. Ride safe.