ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I have heard from a local KTM dealer they will likely be $10K+ out the door, ouch! That's a spendy 510cc dirtbike.
  2. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    You can take that assurance that it will be street legal to the bank. And yes, $10K is a lot of money but the new 500 EXC is one heck of a lot of bike.

Don't forget that the dollar has fallen over 25% against the Euro in the past few years so it takes more cash to buy Euro products. If you are paid in Euros, Swiss Francs or Chinese RMBs you can get it cheaper.

Stu
  3. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There will be a 350EXC and a 500EXC for MY2012. Both will be street-legal from the factory.

The 450EXC has been dropped as people were coming into the dealer to buy it, but mostly left with the 530EXC anyway.
  4. mt21

mt21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the output of the stator ???

// MT
  5. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:

210w i beleive
  6. Mudguts

Oddometer:

Correction the 400 has been dropped and replace with 350

So there will be 250 350 450 500 exc , all have landed here in Aust :clap:clap:clap test riding 350 300 500 next weekend
  7. mt21

mt21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, let us know what you think after you test drive it.
  8. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was invited to go on a test ride today but i was to scared to go because i know if i rode it i'd want one.

I'll wait for mudguts to buy one and work out any little bugs before I buy one.
  9. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked the US ktm site but they are not showing any street legal exc's for 2012. Am I missing something? Not that I am at all disappointed with the 530 ;-)
  10. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus

Oddometer:
    You are missing the fact that the marketing / webmaster at KTMNA must not be talking to one another. The site is a disaster. New models are not listed, but old ones are. Specifications are inaccurate. If you want accuracy go to one of the European sites for model information. If you want to know what KTMNA deems fit for American consumers go talk to your dealer. I would add that the 690 R street version is not available in the USA. We are apparently, in KTMs eyes, unable to appreciate its virtues. Likewise KTMNA is NOT importing the Six Days version of the 350 or 500. That version has a lot of great add-ons that would reduce your overall cost of prepping a bike for off road use. KTMNA apparently wants us to spend even more money to equip our 350/500s the way Europeans will get them anyway.

Stu
  11. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    THanks. I was interested in the 990smt but it doesn't seem to be available in US, at least according to the website?! Maybe in fact it is.
  12. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Local dealer had them on the floor (San Antonio, TX) last several times I was there.
  13. FalloutMan

FalloutMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here in SoCal. Sharp bikes but a street-only is impractical for me.

I was at the local stealership Sunday and asked about the 500 EXC. They just shrugged when I asked about delivery but I was assured they would gladely trade 10k for one when I get back from deployment in June. Guess Im gunna have to tell the wife a vacation will have to be skipped this year! :deal
  14. Mudguts

Oddometer:
    test rode a 350, 500 4t and 250 2t today pick of the bunch was the 500
    while the 350 was awesome handle excellent the power delivery was good but a little bit funny to get right but plenty of power,

while the 500 i thought was excellent it did tend to stall a couple of times but that would be easy to sort out

the suspension is good real good under sprung for my 96kg but still good
    on both bikes

I felt more at home on the 500 kinda like a skinny 690 just lighter.

IMO the 350 will need a set springs to suit your weight fulll exhaust system and vortex ECU to make it more adjustable for different applications ( note the two maps on the standard ECU I believe i rode the soft map if so the race map should be awesome

The 500 set of springs and a muffler , and bling

as for the 2t did not like it at all

Which one will i buy .............its a flip of a coin but leaning towards the 500

Attached Files:

15. tundra61

tundra61 I wish I had a title

Oddometer:
    Amazing they dropped the 400. There was always a lot of talk about how great that bike is.
  16. ekms377

ekms377 The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer:
    Any ETA on the 500EXC in the US?? I just checked and my local dealer's website is now updated to show the EXC model. Last week it wasn't even on there.
  17. deminimis

deminimis I Eat Glue

Oddometer:
    As in a heavier flywheel would cure it or do you think it was a fuel issue or?

How does it compare with the former 530?

Thanks for the report, by the way.:clap
  18. Mudguts

Oddometer:
    was an idel issue, even a muffler would help I think ,i still have not decided what I will buy the 500 was so easy to ride eere the350 had to be worked to keeped on song
  19. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here ya' go... http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-exc-usa.html

:deal M.

New for 2012:

New SOHC EFI engine tuned for enduro riding and 5.5 lbs lighter than the previous engine
    New cylinder head with new inlet and exhaust port design as well as a new combustion chamber design and new water jacket
    New valve chain guides and new spring loaded mechanical chain tensioner with a ratchet stop for a simpler and lighter weight design
    New lighter weight die-cast cases made of a special alloy
    New single oil circuit for easier maintenance
    New multi-function balancer shaft to keep the engine narrow and reduce weight
    New lighter piston and PANKL con rod
    Newly developed lightweight single diaphragm spring clutch unit with steel billet basket for unbeatable reliability
    6-speed enduro gearbox for precise shifting
    New electric start system (plus kick start) and stronger 196W stator
    Completely new frame design with PDS that reduces longitudinal stiffness
    New one-piece cast aluminium swingarm with excellent flex characteristics
    New WP PDS mono shock (7mm longer) with new preload adjuster
    WP 48mm USD forks received new oil and dust seals by SKF and new bushings with improved Teflon coating for better sensitivity and durability
    New silencer and larger volume spark arrestor for lower noise level
    New 2.51 gallon/ 9.5 liter translucent fuel tank with integrated fuel pump and regulator
    Equipped with DOT approved headlight, taillight and turn signal indicators
    Newly designed taillight and license plate holder with improved durability
    New intake boot that provides great power and extra protection for Twin-Air filter which still has the same quick change, no-tools access air filter change process
    New bodywork including a white airbox, white rear number plates, and a redesigned reinforced rear fender for perfect ergonomics and excellent contact points
    New handguard mount and flag design
    New black Giant rims with CNC machined hubs, black spokes and silver spoke nipples
    New integrated routing for the cooling system for better airflow
    Metzler Six Days Extreme DOT front and rear tires
    New auxiliary radiator fan for improved cooling