Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. But I'd be cautious in case something you change causes the Montana to brick itself... Hopefully changes like this would be cleared in a Master Reset, but I don't want to be the one to find that out.

Gotta run, as the saying goes. :lol3
  2. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well DAMN :cry, I knew it was real easy when I did it 6 months ago, and the little magnifying glass differentiates these from shortcuts. I still have the fuel services icon and it works fine,but I haven't done a master reset recently.

I assume it will dissapear as soon as I do.

MONTANA BETA, ARE YOU READING ME? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?:rofl
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: There isn't an issue. Seems that if you place the App Icon on a Menu Page or in your Favorites Dashboard, you won't see that App offered if you try an place it in the same area (page/dashboard).

Better to send an Feature Request to the Montana Team

Master Reset will not change your Profiles nor should future updates change these "App calls". All of the Montana Apps are defined in the "lookup tables" internal to the Montana code (that's how "lookup tables" work). Just because the Dev Team has changed the list of Apps they show us in this Where To? list does not change the previously defined Apps #'s. Hence, Fuel Services should always be #66 in the "lookup table". IF, they were to completely remove the App (feature) from the Montana then the App# would no longer work (or would call some other App) but that is really a poor way to do business with PND's so I don't think we'll see any of that (I hope not anyway).

Anyway, messing around with what # is called in a Profile really can't do much harm to the Montana. Just make sure you Backup all of your personal data (Profiles, Shortcuts, etc).

Cheers,
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you post a screen shot with the fuel services icon, please?
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    See post #6217

Cheers,
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Can you post the code for that shortcut to the Dropbox?
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't.

This post is only #6224, yours was #6222 - But I'll look at it once someone posts it :)
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    You mean the Profile. The code is shown in post #6217.

Yes, I will shortly post the Profile.

Cheers,
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does your Fuel Services Icon still have the magnifying glass, shortcut arrow, or neither?
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    These Icon's are those for the Where To? search apps. They will all have the magnifying glass. They are not "shortcuts" but rather predefined "Search" apps.

Cheers,
  11. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    Whew! Good to hear....I REALLY like that canned search when on a Freeway in some strange city after dark and nearly empty!:clap

Thanks Master Dan!

And yes, I will definitely contact the team....I rather think they may have gotten a bit tired of this HUGE thread.:lol3
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Um, Bli55, you do realize that "11 mm nut" is actually an American size, not Metric, right? Takes a 1/4" wrench to remove it.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Profile? I thought I was asking about a Shortcut which brought up the "Find Fuel" screen.

But I should have asked Rocky TFS instead. He seems to be the one with a Shortcut from the previous software incarnation.
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Yep, a Profile. There was never a way to create a Shortcut to a Where To? function other than a Waypoint. The only way to get an Icon on your Menu is/was to [ Add->WhereTo?-> ] during Setup-MainMenu. So, once in the MainMenu setup you could add a Where To? Search function: e.g, Fuel Services. Well, that Where To? function list has been changed in the v4.60 code. You now only get the general category of Search.

This was the pre-v4.60 list of WhereTo? search options for adding a WhereTo? search to your Menu:

[​IMG]

This is the v4.60 list of WhereTo? search options for adding a WhereTo? search to your Menu:

[​IMG]

To be absolutely correct in this, Garmin just left out a bunch of the Search categories - which happen to be the ones we would use most often.
    Cheers,
  15. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    MBD, it's NOT a shortcut! :huh See DRTBYK post #6213. Not technically anyway, but of course it works just like a shortcut, thus my (and everybody else's) confusion.

This canned search for Fuel Services, created just like DRTBYK said, was made some 6 months ago, in which version I'm not sure, but most likely 3.90 or 4.20. It's still there on my menu, just where I put back then, and looks just like the icon for Fuel Services in the Where To? categories with a little magnifying glass in the lower right corner instead of the shortcut arrow. There are several examples in recent screen shots from DRTBK a page or two back.

It's NO WONDER none of us can get a shortcut to do this!!:muutt

Everybody write MontanaBeta at youknowwho! Why can't they fix other stuff without destroying a really good feature?
  16. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    Well now, this just gets curiouser and curiouser.....I just checked my V4.60 Montana, and doing a Add Menu Item->Where TO?-> page down the categories to......Ta Da:wings FUEL SERVICES!!!! They don't have icons on the categories anymore, but the same old fuel icon with the little magnifying glass shows up when you select that category.

Let's see what others come up with? Can you add Fuel Services, Hospital, etc. by this method just the same as we used to do in earlier versions?

So what exactly ARE the categories that got left out? I not going to figure this out because I'd have to revert to 4.20 and I don't want to go through the hassle, but maybe someone who still has pre 4.60 will post a screen shot of all Where To? categories.
  17. michael2wheels

michael2wheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It works for me in 4.6 also!
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you found them RTFS. This is another example of a Custom Profile not showing all of the possible "list" choices. I've had this problem in the past on another feature. All of the "standard" Profiles do have the complete WhereTo? list of searches.

OK, it's my unit (Custom Profile's) that seems to have this problem. I'll contact the Dev Team and let them know there's another "special" condition with Custom Profile.

Cheers,
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl :norton

Well, I'm old and slow but eventually I [usually] get it. Here is how the Montana's Applications, Shortcuts, Setup and WhereTo? links work when you add something to a Menu. Once you place the link on a Menu the next time you are in Setup-MainMenu and access that (what you add previously) list you will NOT see that item on the list - since it is already on a Menu.

So, when I look at the WhereTo? Search list under Setup MainMenu, I don't see Fuel Service, Food and Drink, Lodging, Extras and Hospitals.

Sometimes getting old sucks - the rest of the time it's OK 'cuz I'm still here.

Cheers,
  20. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    A VERY IMPORTANT point, and why so many of us were not able to see whatever category we were looking for.
    It just so happened that I changed to a Camping profile just before diong the test because I didn't want to screw up one of my main profiles. Camping Profile had NO Where To? icons.

However, I just did this check: I counted ALL the categories available in the normal main screen Where To? and ALL the categories in the Setup>Main Menu>Where To?. There were 37 in the first and 35 in the second. Fuel services was no longer available in the second, just as you said. That makes 36...so where and what is 37 in the Setup> Main Menu>Where To? Next test, I'll change back to Recreational, which is unchanged from original and do this all again.

OK, to settle this once and for all, (until the next revision:lol3), here's how to "can" a search category into an icon:

Setup>Main Menu>option>Setup Drawer>(plus or minus changes to Add Icon)>Add Icon>Select Category:(Applications,Shortcuts,Setup, Where To?)

Select Where To?> Select desired category. The name of the Category (i.e. Hospitals) and its icon will be added to the drawer at the end of all the other icons. Now you can move it wherever you want.

Yeah, you can put it directly into the Main Menu, I just think the majority of us would rather have these types of icons in the drawer.