Dr. Bean's 950 fuel pump kits

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dr_Bean, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean Supporter

Oddometer:
    so.. US shipping with seems to work fine: 8 out of 8 arrived without problems within approximately 1 week.

for EU shipping I use full tracking: just little more expensive, but fully traceable and insured.

again: IF you want to order a kit, please write me a PM on this forum (only)

and please do write you experience with it here.. I will try to improve it where possible.

grts
  2. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Received my kit last week via fmfpunk :thumb
    Performed the pump surgery over the weekend and bench tested with an old battery... tooka~tooka~tooka~tooka~tooka

I've been running a Facet for the last couple years, but i'll swap the modified stock pump back when convenient.

-M
  3. wantok

wantok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gday Dr Bean

I'd like to install one of your kits as well. I'm in Darwin, Australia & sent you a pm regarding this.
    Many Thanks

Nick
  4. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    PM's/mail send.

my kit is now running in Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Greece, Swiss, Germany, Finland, UK, USA (many), New-Zealand ...
  5. ACP

ACP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed my Dr Bean pump kit a fortnight back. Bike's been running without problem since.

Points were pretty much shagged and I don't think they'd have lasted much longer. Bike only has 11k miles.
    [​IMG]

Instructions were easy to follow:
    [​IMG]

I made it more difficult because I decided to do the install with the pump still in place and I haven't soldered anything since I was in school about 19 years ago! But, I'm confident I got good sturdy contacts which will last well.
    [​IMG]

It was quite tricky to get the cap back on with the grommet in the right place but I made it easier by trimming back about an inch of the plastic sheath to give some room to maneuver
    [​IMG]

All looking good. Cheers Dr Bean :thumb
  6. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have my kits in Bosnia, Canada, and Costa Rica and what you said except no Finland or Italy. Not a challange just an observation:D

Nice kit good job Dr Bean
  7. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I didn't go back through the whole thread, but I recall Dr. Bean wanted to know how the fuel pump worked in the heat. I rode to Laguna Seca to watch MotoGP and when I rode back home this afternoon, it was 108f (42C) for the last 45 minutes of a 6+ hour ride. Worked great and I didn't notice any difference in the heat vs. cooler weather
  8. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    yes, super feedback!

we don't get that type of heat over here.
    I also sold some in Greece and italy: gets hot there too.

good to hear. thanks.
  9. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    Got my part on Monday , installed on Tuesday, first ride on Wednesday. The bike now starts much easier then before, seems like it iwaiting to run. rode it around the property for a few miles just to make sure it worked, did not want to push it. It worried me at first, when it tested it before install it only pumped 5 times. I tryed it again and the same thing but it was working, Now for the real test this weekend. A long needed camping trip and some dirt fun.
    :freaky
  10. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    2 things stop the pump from plopping:
    - the ECU of the lc8 switches it of after 3-5 seconds when the engine is not running
    - when the fuelpressure is enough (carb is full) the pump isn't 'loosing' the fuel any more and slows down pumping to the very minimum (less then 1x per second)

If you test it with a clip-on fuel-line, line the SMT has, it only plops 2-3x.

grts
  11. biker_mike

biker_mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received my pump upgrade kit today from Dr.Bean. The package was opened by customs,but things look fine. Thanks for the fast turnaround time..barely a week.

The only down side was the instructions were missing. Thats no big deal,there is enough info and picts on this thread to cover the installation.

Again thanks Gerben.Can't wait to install it.

Mike
  12. ACP

ACP Adventurer

Oddometer:

The instructions are a print-yourself job. Here>>> http://www.lc8.nl/download/fuelpump manual.PDF
    or take the laptop out to the garage with you...

Good luck :wink:
  13. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    As mentioned in your my PM/Mail: I don't print the instructions.

you can download full instructions in english (or dutch if you want) in pdf:
    http://www.lc8.nl/download/fuelpump manual.PDF

regards

14. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    Sounds like a great fix Dr. Bean. How do I order one of your kits?
  15. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to buy one. Sent you a PM.
  16. biker_mike

biker_mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went back and (REALLY) read my PM. It was just like Dr.Bean said,he does not print the instructions. Wasn't blameing him anyway,kind of thought customs lost them when they opened the package.

Anyways,its all good...sorry for the confusion.

Thanks again Dr.Bean

Mike
  17. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, no problem.

I don't include the manual: That would increase the weight and (in some cases) go over the limit of shipping it as letter-mail, making it a lot more complicated.
  18. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    Took the bike out this weekend for the first time after the pump fix. Rode some dirt roads, water crossing and had not one problem. Sure is nice to go for a ride and wonder if you are going to make it back with only 20,000 miles on the bike. Points were shot. Thanks Mr Bean. :clap
  19. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does my 2007 adventure still have points in the fuel pump?

Anyone have a link to the o rings on the pump other than the KTM dealer?

Has anyone had any luck using an external fuel filter on a 2007 or newer 990?

My bike act as if is starving for fuel around 5000 rpm's and higher in any gear so trying to get repair parts lined up. What is the correct pressure for the pump to make?
    Thanks!
  20. Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    a 990 is injection and has a completely different pump.
    only 950 is carburator and ALL 950 have the same fuelpump.

Probably you should check the filters before and in your 990-injection fuelpump: Likely you find that in another topic/thread.