Lets see your XT660R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by EnduroAlexis, Dec 10, 2006.

1. shards

shards Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 5'11" tall and really love my Givi. However, I had the flip-top shaved off to remove the turbulance. What I am left with is a screen that removes the wind from my chest without any other consequences.
  2. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Having just recently bought the bike - a 2008 XT660 - have been experiencing problems with holding a constant rev.range!
    The bike seems to be hunting when sitting at a constant pace or coming off the throttle...

- after the first refuelling (with premium) it seemed a bit better but the problem is still present
    - spark plug seems a bit light/grey... maybe a problem with it running too lean?

Bright ideas or help is appreciated...

Cheers...
  3. shards

shards Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get yourself over to www.xt660.com and get hours of interesting and useful reading. The surging issue has been bashed to death (several times). All XT660's will surge a little due to many things....big single with too-lean-from-factory FI, worn rear cush drive (yours should be OK unless high K's), chain badly adjusted etc etc. Check out the above website, in my 18 years back on bikes it's the most informative and ego-free, attitude-free site I've been a member of. And, big bonus, the site's tech guru lives in Brisbane. I have a 2007 XT660R, live in NZ, ride the Snowies once a year. Happy reading.
  4. InkaJoe

InkaJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Robson!

Haven't been here for a while....
    Hope to see you in December for some :freaky!

saludos,
    Joe
  5. TomADV

TomADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem at first when i had mine. You can very easily adjust the mixture through the computer on the dash. Check out xt660.com for the exact procedure as my memory has faded a little, but it goes something like holding the 2 buttons down together for a few seconds to get to the diagnostics page, then cycle until you get to the cylinder page and adjust the values as required. There is a full explanation on xt660.com, and the whole thing takes no more than one minute to do, and you can just keep going until you get it right. My bike was running very lean when I got it, so i bumped it up a bit and it made a big difference.
  6. Big Al_SA

Big Al_SA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

been lurking for many months, finally joined and am really enjoying the forum. Awesome to see all the different ideas out there.. :clap

Here's my VERY NEW (1 week old) 2005 660R.. was in the standard Metallic Grey panels, but I replaced all the panels so I have spares, and sprayed the blue panels Matt Black for a unique look.. Just finished now putting them back on the bike, and am getting some yellow and white vinyl decal paper to do the traditional Yamaha squares in the blue stripe. Should look cool..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed Center Stand, Hand Guards, Sump Protector, made my own orange headlamp protector, made my own raised Screen fitted on top of the Yamaha Extended Screen, fitted wider off-road footpegs, and now awaiting the bar raisers. besides all that, pretty much stock, and my daily commuter and weekend toy.. :wink:

cheers from Cape Town, South Africa.

Regards

Al
  7. Robson Jaborá/SC

Robson Jaborá/SC Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer:
    Great Bike... :beer
  8. Big Al_SA

Big Al_SA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clapHere he is, Meet "Thumper".. :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very pleased with the looks.. won't be a problem if I drop him etc, as I have the original Plastics safe and sound.. :deal

Cheers

Al
  9. miniroot

miniroot running in: please pass

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

0.4km on the clock.
  10. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
    Mine after 99.000 km...
    [​IMG]
  11. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
  12. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
  13. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
  14. miniroot

Oddometer:
    Ouch.

My DR650 did that after 39,000 km. If I get twice that out of the XT660, that'll be just fine.

;)

Attached Files:

• 3rd.jpg
      3rd.jpg
      File size:
      136.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Hrimfaxi

Hrimfaxi On/Off n00b

Oddometer:
    Yikes ! Sure as hell hope that does'nt happen to me !
    Just did 2½ weeks in and around Denmark. No breakdowns - not even a flat tire :ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cya out there !
  16. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
    This thread is going to be the better at ADV Riders... :lol3 :freaky
  17. agricon

agricon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have recently upgraded my exhaust to the OTR 2 into 1 system. I thought I would share how it turned out.
    [​IMG]
  18. miniroot

Oddometer:
    That really is a gorgeous looking bike.

In other news, dealer called me this morning and my options have arrived: screen, bash plate, brush guards, rack. Guess I'll be farkling this weekend.
  19. agricon

agricon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You and me both :-) The postie just dropped off a new sprockets etc. So out to the man cave I go.:clap
    On a different topic, how do you find the "surging" issue on the new XT?
    Cheers
    Andy
  20. miniroot

Oddometer:
    My main issue when I picked it up was that the tickover was set way too high -- I was fighting the engine to brake, rather than getting any engine braking. At the time, the revs would drop then peak again.

Since adjusting that, I've got to say that it's no lumpier at the bottom end than my stock-carburated DR650. I'm not sure how much that's saying, because a lot of folk complain about the carb on the big DR, but it's certainly not hampering my enjoyment of the bike.