Have Enduro bikes evolved in the past 20-years?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Seavoyage, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Fuel Injected 2-Stroke! [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]

The #1 Reason Manufacturers do not support 2-stroke development and do not import more 2-strokes into the US: Emissions.

The Ossa EFI direct into the cylinder is a significant development: EU emissions compliant!
    [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/04/16...eturn-feature/

Support the Ossa initiative:

We really hope the new Ossa technology takes hold. Snowmobile manufacturers developed the 2-stroke technology to address high unburned hydrocarbon (UHC) emissions from carburated 2-strokes. The technology does exist and is mature, and we hoped a mainstream European manufacturer like KTM/Husaberg + Husqvarna would take the initiative. Most of the European 2-stroke initiative is driven by the Trials manufacturers (GasGas, Sherco, Beta) that require light weight and torque. Emissions compliant 2-strokes would open a completely new alternative.
    [/FONT]

If these Ossa EFI models do well in the USA it may be a harbinger of a viable market and the other manufacturers may quickly follow suit. It's interesting that the same dynamics affected the outboard motor and the snowmobile industry.

There were three Ossa Explorers at the PITS event at Frank Raines OHV this weekend. Very cool. I had the chance to catch up briefly with Adrian Lewis of LewisportUSA He is the US importer for Ossa, and recently brought in and sold most of his Ossa Explorer inventory. General opinion on riding the new Ossa: felt narrower and lighter than the GasGas.

Shameless plug for LewisportUSA: Convince your local dealer to carry Ossa!

We discussed his plans to import the Ossa 300i... now this is too cool: 2-stroke EFI running 120:1 premix ratios to meet EU emissions.

Strong F1 influence: The engine cants backward, Intake is in front, exhaust is behind the engine (a la Cannondale 440) and isn't vulnerably exposed. Cartridge gearbox. Crankshaft and conrod accessible from side.

[​IMG]

Here's the 2011 concept bike: <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OiD3A89RiYI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Other than my GasGas Trials bike, I've been fortunate to own a GasGas EC300 that I was able to transform to Fantic TR300ES specs and get California street license plates:
    [​IMG]

By 20-years, I meant since 1993 when we already had liquid cooling, reed valve intakes, exhaust power valves, linked (or PDS) rear suspension, cartridge forks, CDI, and 2-stroke oil that stayed suspended in gasoline (remember emptying your gas tank and float bowl after every event?)

I'm with you - I'm still very nostalgic on the : air-cooled, piston port, twin-shock/damper rod technology I grew up with.
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Yah,I ended up with a 93 RMX250 here cause it was cheap and fresh,1 ride and it was put aside for the KTM's Ive ridden for many years.
    No comparison what so ever between old and new.

Riding a 125 off road is an aquired art and not for everybody,they're light and work great if you can run the clutch and engine as they are intended to be run. I ride a 09 KTM200XCW currently and it works for me on the tight trails around here. It may not be that much lighter then a current 250/300 but it feels lighter and changes direction instantly.

A KDX is ok if you like that sort of thing,slow and heavy come to mind,then antiquated would be next.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    What is the strong need for DI about? 2 strokes run fine with carbs and the barest know how of jetting them. They are simple beasts.
  5. slideways

slideways EspaƱa

Oddometer:
    Out of the box the 01 motor had no bottom a weak mid range and a huge rush on top. Not very usable unless you are road racing. Also the jetting was a nightmare.

I immediately ordered up a new cylinder and head from Eric Gore who used a lot of epoxy to increase the volumetric efficiency and also reworked the head. Boysen reeds and some flywheel weight helped smooth things out. An FMF fatty put the CR ON par with my YZ.

[​IMG]

I still think the best bang for your buck is a 06 plus YZ 250 or 125. You cannot beat SSS suspension
  6. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
    Epilogue: Sold the CR125R to fund a current KTM200MXC "Cheap Bast'd" project.

The new owners ran the CR125R without pre-mix oil; damaged the piston; then traded it to the current owner for a pool-table. The CR125R was last seen listed on CL after a Namura piston replacement by the current owner for $1500: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3843190452.html

[​IMG]
  7. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
  8. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly for emissions and MPG.
  9. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Great vid... I think I will keep my 04 250 exc
  10. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    The only attraction for me is the apparently vastly improved fuel usage rate.

That is my only complaint about two strokes, and I would use my Gas Gas on a few outback trips except for the need for a huge amount of fuel to cover small distances.:lol3

All my four strokes used under 6l per 100K, my 2 strokes seem to use 10l per 100, DI apparently brings fuel usage more inline with the four strokes.
  11. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I would be more interested if they were comparing standard EXCs with standard EXCs...

I thought it just showed the factory bikes are 15 years ahead of what we get.:lol3
  12. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    No man, the 1998 production bike was said to be ON PAR with the 2014 production bike. Motor wise anyway. :evil
  13. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    I have been on the fence about replacing my 10 year old 2T for awhile. Mainly because I really thought I would benefit from the latest / greatest in the suspension /handling & power delivery. Also I just wanted the damn button. Now I may just keep it & look for some newer forks & shock. I will just have to keep kickin it to life. Just at the end of a long hard day in mud you can barely stand on, its nice to be able to hit the button & go.
  14. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    That 98 "production" bike was still a factory works bike.

It would be far superior to anything available at the time, so I still say it only shows that works bikes are 15 years ahead of what we get.:deal
  15. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    The way I understood it was a 97 works bike and a 98 production bike. Of course frame geometry and suspension have improved but point from video (at least my understanding :loco) was that the 98 motor seemed just as good as the 14. :jjen
  16. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    At 1:14 he says something like "The other bike is a 98 model, ISDE overall winning 125cc machine, which again is a factory machine, but just not as a special of an engine because it's not such a one off."

It says it in the blurb as well.

17. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    I had a '00 200EXC that had a great versatile motor. Per my butt dyno it felt as-good as a new bike. Now I have a new bike. Its motor is also excellent and I can tell the power range is very wide - but after all it is a 300cc smoker. :bow

I like the older smokers for their value but not gonna lie - newer brakes, geometry, and suspension is worth it for a primary bike. Especially when it's a Husqvarna at nearly half the price of the new KTM.
  18. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 1981 Yamaha IT465 goes everywhere team orange does and back.

I have the added bonus of never worrying about boiling over.
  19. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    you also have the bonus of not riding behind a 465. when my yz490 was my main ride, i used to think i must be pretty damn fast, because rarely was anyone close behind. had little to do with the speed, a lot to do with the constant roostertail of rocks and small boulders that'd keep riders far back.
    man, i miss that bike :D
  20. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    NO..just seizures :D