About Schmidt

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Padmei, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Just learnt from my new neighbours that Skynyrd are in the country (yes I live in a hole in the ground). They are playing in Queenstown next weekend.

Going thru a mental list of stuff on Schmidt that may cause a problem over a 9 hour ride.... I only need to get there...

http://www.gibbstonvalleynz.com/concerts

Schmidt would love to see the guys again - it'll be just like Sturgis all over again
  2. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Was wondering if you were going to go.
  3. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Hi all.
    Nothing to report. Absolutely nothing - really!

Well actually there is. I was faced with the opportunity to ride Schmidtty down to Queenstown to see the aforementioned Lynard Skynard. I didn't want to.:huh

I mean the thought of riding all day there & then doing the same back put me off.

What is happening? Have I completely lost my mojo?

I know I've been struggling with the coldness I feel while riding - even in the middle of summer. I had made my mind up to make a heated jacket.but can't be arsed getting it started.

Will my mojo return? i usually have a 7year obsession with sports/ occupations before they start to wan & wondering if it's that? Anyone else get like that about riding?
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope
  5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    You beat me to it.
  6. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Gotta have mojo to start with :lol3

Well I went through a similar phase this last winter.
    Used motorbikes as my only mode of transport for 7 years and then decided the winters here are certainly colder than those up Tauranga and were just getting that bit unpleasant.
    Even heated gear struggles at (-5'c plus 100km/h equals) FOOOOOOKIN COLD.

So I brought a Hilux, started commuting in it through the winter and spring.
    Then I noticed how nice the days were and how slow traffic was and what the hell am I doing stuck in this boring slow truck? :huh

Boom, back on the bike and loving it! :rayof
  7. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Padders - I'm not sure I can express clearly / eloquently - my experience for what it's worth is that we go through seasons in our lives - for me in year 2 of SuperGold Card status it's the realisation that I'll probably never do the Coast to Coast again or paddle my sea kayak in big seas or ride off road with men 20+ years younger than me in the belief that I'm Peter Pan and invincible

For me ridng gravel and roads like the Old Dunstan Road or the Nevis brings a huge sense of the vital nature of life to me - increasingly I realise that the pipe n slippers R1200GS is me - subjective I know - but works for me :) :freaky
  8. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    yup - I'll soon find out if it can be cured by more hp or not.

Everything ebbs and flows. I've recently rediscovered pushbikes and am enjoying riding those more than dirt bikes at the moment - but I'll swing back the other way eventually.

What's wrong with keeping smidt (or an SV) to go for a couple of hour ride once or twice a month?

Or laying it up until you get the urge again.
  9. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yup..............................
  10. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    After my accident I experience days where I think I'd be more than happy to never ride on the road again and just stick to messin around on my trials bike. Other days I really miss that I can't just jump on my bike and disappear from the madness for a few hours. It maybe that some of my mojo was knocked out of me in the crash? will it ever return?

It doesn't have to be the end because life has changed. Embrace your new mojo, take the car if its more comfortable, ride when you want to not because you have to, try new things, buy a new bike - make it a KTM, In the words of the old song..... climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow until you find your dreams :gerg

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0UCDmsWcNfE" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    That would be somewhere near Hamner, then.

I have to admit that my riding has changed a bit. I take fewer risks and don't feel the need to hunt down sportsbikes in the twisties anymore. Also, I don't feel the need to buy a new bike anymore. I always thought I'd get a new GS roundabout now.

And like Te Hopo, I have bought a Hilux after commuting on the bike for seven years and I will be using it during the winter and maybe spring. Life is too short do keep doing stuff you don't really like doing. Just go with what feels right.
  12. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I don't like the thought of long rides.

The rides themselves are great fun.
  13. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    I certainly left my mojo in the Molesworth :eek1 It took about 9 months or so to start coming back, I'm still not where I was on gravel though :cry But i'm good with that, I just ride by myself so I don't hold anyone up :D

Nah.... It'll come back
  14. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    You're also on an expensive BMW and not a DR(3/6/7)50 anymore...
  15. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Maybe :shog
  16. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:

you'd better eeeelaborate on that just a tad....
  17. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    Nothing much to say... The bikes worth a leeeetle bit more than the the other 3 and I don't want to go chucking it over a bank or into a ditch.

I was thinking more about things tonight when I was riding around. Also, the fact I'm by myself, and generally, nobody knows I'm out riding or where I am means I don't want to do anything toooo silly :deal Hell even I don't know where I am sometimes :D
  18. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Yes I always think again when I head off the highway to somewhere like Mt Duppa on the spur of the moment - we should all be networked to a spot like device.

i think Marks may have been thinking you may have got a new bike with your previous post (or not- I did)
  19. Logmaker

Logmaker n00b

Oddometer:
    :clapHello ztaj always carry a PLB when riding or working alone , especially when mobile coverage is suspect . Cheers M.:freaky
  20. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Excuse me polluting your thread (not usually seen in here) but if anyone knows of a R80/100 GS for sale, I'm after one. :D

To comment on the lost Mojo thing; sometimes activities / interests have their season and then we are done and sometimes we just over do them and need a break. I have taken a year or two off bikes when the kids were little and after a big crash, it's always been hard to part with stuff you have / had a strong attachment too but life is a changing affair, we don't remain static.

My advice is to leave the activity for 3 or 6 months then decide if you want to get back into it or sell up, selling up is just stuff, allows you to do something different next time.

Good luck!