The 2012 CRF250L thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dfhmotor, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Glennius

Glennius n00b

Oddometer:
    Got a bit from my weep hole but just seen a bit of dried green colour.

No bad drips here either. I imagine shaft seals setting in.

cu,
    Glenn.
  2. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer

Oddometer:
    My mistake...shoulda checked (mind in neutral, mouth in gear etc etc), went and had a play with it the other day...sounds plastic, but my L plate (cuz its magnetic) sticks to it..so woops! just wondering if an aftermarket tank (if they've made one yet) will be bigger than the stock steel one, or deeper or wots the go? cuz of the radiator side panels i dont think wider would be the go, just push em out further.
  3. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    K-Speed (in Thailand, I think) has a neat CRF250L-based supermotard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See their website for more pics.
  4. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    My ST1300 would always drip coolant from the weephole on cold start ups. Seems to have fixed itself. I wouldnt worry about it for now.
  5. jtbek

jtbek ADV990R

Oddometer:
    Wow where to get the black plastics!? :clap
  6. B DIRT

B DIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    your moms house startn a small fire in her panties
    [​IMG]

right here
  7. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good in black...

I'd try replicating the look with some PlastiDip... so if you don't like it, you can just peel it off.

[​IMG]
  8. Kankujoe

Kankujoe Adventure Traveller

Oddometer:
    Missouri, west central, south of Kansas City
    I wonder if it will be available here in the USA?
  9. JRNASTY

JRNASTY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi first post, Does anyone know the valve clearance distances? Thanks
  10. nbrooks

nbrooks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for after market air filters for the CRF250L. I have found one that is for the CBR250R made by K&N. It looks like it will fit the CRF250L, but I have not been able to find one locally to compare. The stock air filters on both bikes show different part #s. The K&N filter part# for the CBR250R is HA-2511. I am considering putting one in my bike and the opening the top of the air box with these air vents. I called K&N and they said they don't have one specifically for the 250L, but is someone in the area of SO Cal would let them see there bike, they could make one or see if they have an exhisting one that works. I'm also interested in any info and pics on the proper way to remove the EVAP canister on the 250L.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  11. Bksports88

Bksports88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-sport-bikes/2013-honda-crf250l/ check this out. Might help ya
  12. nbrooks

nbrooks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I checked the air filter on a CBR250R and it is way different than the CRF250L, so the K&N will have to wait until they make one for the CRF250L. I did order the Uni Air Box Vents to open up the air box and still keep it clean. I used Plasti Dip on the rear of the bike to make it unique. The Plasti Dip was used as a temporary option in case I did not like it, but I do, and the Plasti Dip is much stronger than I was expecting (about 6 coats). If I do have issues with the Plasti Dip in the future, I will hit it with a flat black Fusion paint. I did the Best Dual Sport Stage 1 mod kit and I am way happy with the results. It feels like a different bike! I just need to get the air box opened up with a different filter, may have to wait for the BDS foam filter they are working on now. I am still wanting info on the need or removal of the EVAP canister. I also have a custom seat coming from SeatConcepts. I called and asked if they have the seat offered in black top with red carbon sides. They said they could make one, but they were not sure if the red would match. They said the red they have is more of an XR red. In looking at my CRF250L, the seat is more of an orange/red but the plastic is a deeper red so I think the XR red will look just fine. The seat has been made and I expect it next week. I'll post pics whether the red looks good or not.
  13. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
  14. Red_dog

Oddometer:
    just ordered a Ricochet Body Armour skidplate for my CRF250L in Anodised red...will post pics when it turns up (it went from Utah to Australia in a week), landed yesterday, in my hot little hands by Tuesday/Wednesday, on the bike by Thursday, was torn between the anodised red and the clearcoat, but the red will tie in with the red on the bike, so hopefully it'll look okay.
  15. yyz

yyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This really confuses me, the necessity to open up the air box. I have a 2011 Ford F150 with a 5.0 liter V8. The engine breathes thru a tiny 3 inch plastic pipe. If that motor could run fine with such a small opening, why would a 250 cc engine need almost as much air flow?

Maybe I am missing something.
  16. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a ritual for some people. No bike is perfect until it has been cut, hacked, and generally made into a sows ear from a silk purse. :lol3
  17. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    A single cylinder sucks in a glob of air ever other revolution of the engine...in other words the flow stops and starts repeatedly. The more cylinders you get, the closer the flow gets to steady flow. When you get closer to steady flow, the resistance to flow drops because you have established a flow pattern....and you don't have to waste time and energy reestablishing the flow pattern (scientists call it a "flow field") over and over again.
  18. yyz

yyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your response ED@Ford that makes sense, btw the way, you work for Ford?
  19. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Retired from Ford
  20. Red_dog

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] - as it turned up on my doorstep on Wednesday morning. isnt it PURDY? specially in flash anodised red.