BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Gearhead001

Gearhead001 Nut

Oddometer:
    Nope. Changed my oil this weekend.

We have made reservations for our yearly Durhamtown, GA 3 day ride in October. Should have pics and stories after that.:clap
  2. Gearhead001

Gearhead001 Nut

Oddometer:
    Could not stand it. Called my Riding Bro and we did our 65 mile loop. A little dry, a little slick and a bunch of hunters training bear dogs. Tis the season.

The weather was perfect and the bike ran good on 93 E0 fuel. Plan to run a 4:1 mix of 93 E0 to 104 E0 fuel next time. It seems to have a little more throttle response and runs a little cooler.

No one was hurt, no broken equipment and no one arrested. A great day.:clap
  3. Squire

Squire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone compared the Blackbird seat with OEM? I wrote to Blackbird Racing to inquire on the comfort of their seat before ordering one, here's what they wrote back, of course:

" thank you for the kind interest in Blackbird Racing products. I confirm you that our seat is more comfortable then the o.e.m. one since our is foam and not gum.All our customers are so happy about them.If you're interested you can place an order on our website and in few days you'll receive the pack at your address."

217 €

http://www.blackbirdracing.com/stic...ete_seat.html?do=Mi1Fbi0tMTU5NS0tMTY5LTEtLS0=

4. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Still have mine! Just getting out more on the Boxer project and the trials bike. SO many bikes, so little time :D
  5. maat

maat meh.

Oddometer:
    I am going this weekend to check out a G450x with 56 hrs on it.

Anybody have any advice as to what to look out for?
  6. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Its the torue limiter that is the sticky wicket. It will sound a little like the clutch is chattering, and feel like the clutch is slipping a little, if its started to go wonky.

Check to see which chain guard they are using.. if its the bigger one, I think they can wear a bad spot in the swingarm. Maintenenace records would be nice, showing oil changes pretty frequently, and then its a case of bearings.. swingarm bearings should be cleanly full of grease, and the wheel bearing should still be good.

the radiator in front soemtimes has the bottom mounting studs worn by the mounts.

Thats all I can think of. They are really pretty robust, otherwise.
  7. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    The only thing I'd add is to check the subframe under the rear fender for cracks or bending. It's not a real strong piece.
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Good thinking! Forgot that one.

I guess also if its an '09 just make sure it doesnt have an original chain. The first ones were junk.
  9. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    I ordered one. I'll let you know when it gets here.
  10. AlexBC

AlexBC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Post some pictures when it comes in please. This is most likely my next purchase.
  11. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    Will do. I rode the G450X and the KLX250S back to back today. If the new seat gets me to at least the crappy KLX seat, I'll be happy.
  12. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    BMW makes a dirt bike?:huh

:lol3:rofl
  13. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW made a dirt bike

14. AlexBC

AlexBC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My next big questions is what do you guys do for brakes lights, license plate mounts and mirrors?

I have gone through the two factory mirrors then three on the left hand side (I stopped replacing the right side ones) Most of them are branches smashing the lens out. Brake lights and license plates just seem to rattle around until they crack and fall off.
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Mirrors:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571500

I use the LED taillight that comes with the bike, or should have, and the plastic licnese mount, which looks to be very similar to the Baja Designs one. I had to use some plastic garbage can material behind the plate, cut to he shape of hte plate and bolted through to give it some better flex and rigidity, if you can believe it needed both :lol3
  16. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:

Yea I know.

[​IMG]
  17. Gearhead001

Gearhead001 Nut

Oddometer:
    I use this tail light:http://www.amazon.com/Tail-Brake-Light-Motorcycle-Buggy/dp/B00C0T0HG6/ref=sr_1_144?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1378042723&sr=1-144&keywords=led+tail+lights+motorcycle

Cheap and it works.

I use these rear turn signals: http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=ts_rear

Not cheap but should not break. Mounts to black license plate holder with tail light.

I use this rear view mirror: https://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/universal-folding-mirror

Tough and stays put.
  18. AlexBC

AlexBC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys. My bike is a 2009 it came this massive aluminum plate mount and convential tail-light, i'm not sure if it even came with an LED light. I like that one on Amazon, it even has the plate light. I re-mounted my stock brake light assembly and now the bulbs don't even live in there on a trail ride. It seems like nothing can take that pounding. Hopefully that LED is the answer.

I put almost 400Km of trail riding of the bike the last two days. 1000km in the last week and a half.

I really enjoy this bike :D Beats the hell out of my old DR650. I'm only getting ~500km per set of tires though :huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and all washed up
    [​IMG]
  19. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Brake Light - factory orig LED
    Number plate mount - factory orig
    Mirrors - what mirrors? :D
  20. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    I removed the rear turn signals and replaced them with LED side marker lights I bought at a truck stop. Then I removed the tail light bracket and pop riveted the tail light assembly to the license holder. You need to bend the bottom of the assembly so that it rests on the holder. Finally I replaced the bulb with a LED bulb. My bike has 7500 miles on it with this set up and no problems at a cost of $20.