Convert Garmin Routes to Tracks/Tracks to Routes

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Python423, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if its possible to convert Garmin Follow Road Routes (mapped out on Mapsource City Nav or Metroguide) into TRACKS? Reason being I watn to do this, is The GPS unit will always recaculat the route when loaded, so it doesnt look same as it does on Mapsource. You can do offroad trails on mapsource in your creation process if you turn off follow roads when u go to trails part, but when loaded in the 60CSX it goes crazy on this.

Another advantage of this, would be to use it as a track, I can then load any mapset (topo,roads&rec,etc) and follow the track so I can have the topo data on screen to look for dual sport oportunites,etc.

Plus another advantage of this I want to do, is Create a file with all the tracks of all the trails I have found in my county, and area (just the trails and data not shown on my garmin map) and then load it as an overlay for my map whenever I start a ride. Thus my trails will show on the map. Also would like ot be able to use a variety of colors on tracks, possibly one color for trail, one for gravel, one for rough pavment,etc..

I'm sorta new to GPS, just into it a couple of months, anyone know if this is possible?
  2. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you add enough "via" point into the route in mapsource, you can pretty much get the same route. I've had very good luck adding via points just after critical junctions that will keep my on the right path when routing on the GPS.

Also mapsourse will allow you to draw tracks, so you could trace the routes...

I have yet to see much that is on Topo, or roads and rec that isn't on city select, but if you have to do it, you can create the route in the GPS using the city select maps, then once the route is created, you can change over to topo maps etc, and the route will still show up on your maps, at least until it tries to recalc if you go off route.

I believe this is possible on the unit, though I don't think you can color different tracks different colors on the unit. But You can download all your tracks onto your unit no problem, again up to the unit limit.
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    You can definitely change the track color in Mapsource and I believe it will display on the unit. Not sure if you can color different parts of a single track different colors though.
  4. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    I saw the track draw function but it is freehand from what I can tell, no way to make it follow roads? Also you can add more points yes, but when it comes to a road and offroad section (non mapped), it will not display right. Tho it will display right on mapsource.

Mine won't. It will show on the computer at home on mapsource, but I cant get it to do it on the unit. Theres alot more on topo that isn't in city select. Rivers,Lakes, Mountains,Balds,Ridges,etc.
  5. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:

What you have to do is have both cityselect/citynavigator, and topo loaded on the unit. Then switch on the city navigator maps, select your route, calculate your route, then turn off the city navigator maps so that the topo maps show. Then the squiggly road following route will still show on the map screen, but you will be able to see the topo features.

I will often just switch back and forth between the two map sets on the unit. I am usually moving to fast to actually be paying attention to the more detail that is available on the topo stuff, so I run city select, then when I stop and want to have a look around, I turn off the city select mapset, and turn on the topo mapset, then I can look at peaks, trails, rivers, creeks and such.
  6. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:

I don't have any experience with riding roads that arent on my city select mapsets. Just about anything that I want to put two wheels on, ends up being on city select.. Of courst I don't ride single track/trails...

Maybe you will need to create several routes, one for the road portions of your ride, and then the as the crow flies stuff for off roads. I'm sure there's some here who does that sort of stuff.. Specially desert riding and such..
  7. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:

You are right.. I only ever change the color of the active track, but just now I checked my 76c and every saved track can have a different color, and the track color transfers from mapsource. Don't think you can change the color of segments of a track though. The color seems to be for the whole track, start to finish..
  8. HeddleTown

HeddleTown Filming For YouTube

Oddometer:
    YES its very easy search google for this little free program (WinGDB11.zip) then goto this URL for very simple instructions!

h**p://www.elsinga.net/206.html
  9. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    I am sure this has been asked, so don't be too angry with me. I searched and could not find the answer to my question.

I want to draw a route in mapsource using mostly fire service roads that are on City Navigator map. The thing is, I want to save them to my gps as a track, so that I can have them visible on the map but not necessarily have my gps trying to route me anywhere.

I could just manually connect all the dots using the track draw function, but that would take forever. So, it is much faster to have the waypoints on the roads I want to hit, and then have it create a route.

The problem is, I can't seem to find a way to convert a route into a track. Lots of information on how to go from a track to a route, but I don't want to do that.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
  10. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.sackman.info/

Convert pretty much anything to pretty much anything else. I use it all the time. It's great.

Drew
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :nod
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes just use Track Draw tool and draw the Track in the first place. Set color, and download.
  13. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    Well, I thought about doing that, but when I use the track draw tool to draw a track that will be hundreds of miles long, it would take me days. For the roads to show up in mapsource (the forest logging roads) I have to be zoomed in to 1.5 mile or less. So, basically, using the track draw tool would take forever.

That is why I wanted to put waypoints at pertinent places, and then use the routing tool to connect the waypoints. Then, convert the route to a track. Way less time than by drawing the entire trip out one mile at a time, unless I am missing something big. I have no idea how to use Mapsource (obviously) so that is entirely possible.
  14. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    gpsbabel.

Open the track in mapsource, and save it as a standard garmin file (forget the extension). Then run it through gpsbabel to convert track to route.
    Conversion works both ways.

I make all my routes using topo8 (Delorme). I then export it as a GPX and go through this processes with mapsource so I can hand both the route and track to Garmin users.
  15. spanker

spanker Lake City, FL

Oddometer:
    For Mac guys that like superior machines and don't like corrupted registry files and the blue screen of death, :rofltry this link for routes to track conversion; I've done it and it works perfectly. What I haven't figured out yet is how to save and display POI info. http://www.javawa.nl/macgpx_en.html
  16. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of flags are still on the screen when I use WinGDB. Besides, the unit says'' the route shortened''
    Just don't want to see the flags on this: http://ul.to/gnzx5y
    P.S. Unit: Streetpilot 2820

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  17. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What version of WinGdb are you using?

In version 3.50 you can use option 3 and 23 to remove flags.

Make sure the filter option box at the bottom is not checked.

Did you look at your coverted file on your unit to see if it actually had been shorted?

18. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    3.55 beta version. It all seems fine on mapsource: [​IMG]

I can see many flags on the unit screen with shortened route.
    It's been shortened. The real length of the route is around 30 miles but it shows 2 miles of it. The unit says so. I think it's better to upload it from the unit to the computer to check.
  19. krmn59

krmn59 n00b

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Easy to use. THANKS!!!!:clap
  20. katoomon

katoomon Rocket Surgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is another great tool, DNRGPS

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/DNRGPS/DNRGPS.html

If using a Garmin, use Save AS in Mapsource or Basecamp and save your Route or Track to a *.gpx format. Import that saved file to DNRGPS.
    1. If it is a Track, click the Edit drop down and select Convert Table To in menu selection and Save out as a gpx.
    1. If it is a Route, click the Edit drop down and select Convert Table To in menu selection and Save out as a gpx.

Depending on your GPS model, a track will be truncated to 50 points on routable maps if you select "follow road" so use the "off road" navigation choice if you get that message on your screen. You can also import/export this data in other formats; text, shapefile, mapinfo file, google earth, etc.