GiVi Reflector Mod - Be Seen!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Global Rider, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Actually, this can be done to any case with a removeable reflector.

3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting was applied to the case under the reflectors...

[​IMG]

So what is the difference?

Left side: 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting..........Right Side: OEM GiVi white vinyl film.

[​IMG]

Cost? Under $5 and a bit of my time.

The how-to (not that this is rocket science) is in my GiVi Luggage Reflective Upgrade

To see what this product looks like, have a look at the 3M Reflective Sheeting Sample Card
  2. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea. Looks vaguely reminiscent of the prismatic tape I'd put on lures when fishing on the party boats out of Mission Bay. I dunno about the Givi, but my Shad case has enough room that I was able to put a LED strip light under the reflector (the brake lights are on the top of the case) and wire that into the tail and brake lights. Still figuring out how best to make it work, but it's just a wiring issue; the space was definitely there after a bit of cutting.

Rancho
  3. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    BTW, there is enough room to install a strip of LEDs behind the reflectors on this GiVi case; can't commment on the others.

I opted to stay clear of the GiVi brake light kit which fits in behind the reflector where those rectangular outlines are to each side of the handle. Quite a few people reported the contacts in the case and base being problematic.

Besides, I wanted to be more visible all the time, not just when applying the brakes. I guess I could have wired them into the rear parking light circuit, but then I'd have to decrease the intensity of the GiVi brake lights to those of the parking light. And I still wouldn't have 180° coverage.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice work Alex. I did the same thing using some SOLAS tape, makes a huge difference. :thumb

TwistedThrottle.com sells a kit to add more LED's behind the curved red plastics, including turn signal LED's.. for about a $120. I saw them at the MOA rally this summer.. nice too..
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    admorelighting.com sells LED kits for GIVI cases. I have them on my V35 cases. Very happy with the outcome. The reflective is a great idea too.
  6. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    Do you or does anybody have a link to a 3M sample sheet for SOLAS, sort of like the one I posted in the initial post for the 3M product I've used?

What does SOLAS look like up close without light reflecting off it.
  7. GB

Oddometer:
    SOLAS grade is supposedly the brightest reflective tape made. It's white with a honecomb design when light isn't hitting it.

http://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html

I actually picked up a roll from a place in Montreal by mail order, don't have the URL but I did a search to see who sold SOLAS grade tape in Canada and found them.
  8. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    The 3" x 15' roll would do the trick for anyone interested. I needed 70 mm wide sections (2.75"). A bit pricy though and more than one needs, so split it with friends.

From their web site...
    [​IMG]

GB, how tough is it? Does it tear easy? Maybe bring a 1" section to the TO show. :wave
  9. MotoKat

MotoKat Whine Cooler.

Oddometer:
    Excellent! This is something I'm going to be doing :thumb
  10. PJungnitsch

PJungnitsch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    SOLAS stands for Safety Of Life At Sea.

You can buy it in two inch widths at most marine supply stores, in standard lengths or by the foot.
  12. LVCRVS

LVCRVS theRoadGoesOnForever

Oddometer:
    I got my tape from Wal Mart. I don't remember it being SOLAS but it was 3M reflective.

I applied the tape to the thin white vinyl paper that's under the reflector and replaced it, vinyl and all as I originally found it, except with tape.

The tape was maybe an inch to an inch and a half wide, so there was a slight overlap when I was done. You can't notice this once the reflector is reinstalled.

I have yet to mod the topcase reflector so here's another example of the differences between stock and the mod.

[​IMG]

Global Rider, great idea for a thread :thumb

PS) I wouldn't recommend doing this while having a beer, or twelve. The screws that Givi uses to hold the cases together are very, very small !! :lol3
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    It's pretty tough and it sticks like stink, once installed and after some time, it's very difficult to remove, it rips into small pieces.

I had used regular 3M white refletive sheeting, with the aluminum colored backing, under the red plastics on my Givi Maxia case, but the SOLAS is MUCH brighter, when light shines on it, the reflection seems as though it's electrically powered!
  14. War Hammer

War Hammer Evil Monkey

Oddometer:
    The SOLAS tape is great for this. I did this to my Kappa cases when I bought my DL1000 in 2004. When headlights sweep them, the reflectors are actually brighter than the tail light!
  15. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    Not that I'd change, but I'll try to get some and compare it to the 3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting and see what the difference is.
  16. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the tape from.
  17. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    I got it locally from a company that supplies those road markers that you see along the road at construction sites. You know those black 4' tube type towers with alternating orange and white rings; well those white rings are 3M High Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting. It comes in various widths; I bought some that was 24" wide. A foot ran me $10.

Try safety supply stores in your area.
  18. Some-Young-Guy

Some-Young-Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made the modifications the my GIVI trunk today using "3M 3150-A SOLAS Marine Safety Reflective Tape (3-in x 15-ft) White", that I purchased from www.identi-tape.com for $35.00. I also purchased other reflective tapes to put on the bike.
  19. Ducman69

Ducman69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Verify nice option, but just to clarify, the AdMorelighting kit available at http://www.admorelighting.com/ uses bright LED's that provide 180o coverage. It is a light that is constantly on, and intensifies when the brake is depressed.

It can still be used in combination with the reflector behind it. The only modification I'd recommend is to take off the adhesive backing that comes with the kit, and use your own superior stuff, as the stock stuff doesn't stick well IMO. :)

[​IMG]
  20. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Saw them used in a GIVI display at the Calgary motorcycle show in 07 & now have them installed in my E41 sidecases & the E52 Maxxia. The developer is a great guy too. Works 5 days a week just like most of us folks at a "regular" job & has this on the side. He's working on other lighting solutions too :thumb