2012 ktm 690 enduro R owners, any major problems ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by edra, May 13, 2012.

1. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a note on the handguards. I like the look of the OEM guards so ordered another set after my originals cracked too after a good thrashing. When I received the new ones I noticed they were of a different and stronger plastic composition than what came with the bike.

But if you need some black Acerbis I've got some listed in flea market.
  2. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    I think the KTM build quality is exceptional.
    I've wrenched on Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasakis, BMWs and KTMs....
  3. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    OK, if the dealer won't allow you to test ride, something is up.

First, if they don't have a '12 690 R in stock, and the do have a 500 in stock, I can understand why they are pushing the 500. Typically, dealers don't really care about YOUR needs. They care about sales. And this is fair, as they are a business. It's also OK to tell a saleman "No" when they suggest one bike over another.

My gut always tells me, though, if they are just trying to sell what's on the floor and talkin' smack about another of their own products they can't happen to get, well, might be time to seek another dealer. That or roll with it as they are a business after all, and their needs are sales NOW, not next Spring...

I bought a 2012 690 Enduro R in June (happy birthday me... :) ). I test rode it no problemo, expect for the fact I damn near whipped out the cheque book the minute I returned from my test ride. FUNNEST bike I've ever ridden.

I wanted a dual sport, so I test rode...
    • F800GS
    • R1200GS
    • Ducati Multistrada (this was #2 on the list, but damn, it's pricey!)
    • Suzuki DR650
    • Husqvarna TE630
    The KTM was the hands down winner for me. Most of the other bikes were great, don't get me wrong, but the KTM stood out. :)

Issues so far - at 800 miles, 300+ of which are off road - include:

1 - throttle response took a bit of getting used to - but now I'm fine with it
    2 - rear tail light keeps winking out - bulb in the socket has connectivity issues - no solution yet (not sure I want to swap the rear end for a Euro unit yet)
    3 - false neutral between 5th & 6th gear - same as others; noticed when light shifting or not really paying attention. Reminds me this bike REQUIRES you pay attention. Nothing problematic, though, just another shift in my riding style needed.
    4 - I found the stock seat to be comfortable between fillups of the gas tank - still, I opted to replace it with Renzaco Racing custom seat - highly worthwhile!!!

Now, I haven't replaced the tank bolts, but may do it at some point.

I've bolted on a bunch of stuff:

1 - Wolfman luggage racks
    2 - Touratech rear rack
    3 - touratech skid plate
    4 - barkbusters
    5 - windscreen
    6 - wolfman tank bag
    7 - rotopax 1 gallon gas can and a rotopax storage can on the opposite side
    8 - better mirrors (foldable and extendable)
    9 - giant loop mojave bag for extra tools, spare tubes, etc.
    10 - mounting up a couple of LED driving lights this coming week
    11 - engine crash bars
    12 - bar risers
    13 - Renzaco Racing gas cap/filler neck (worthy change)

Also bought a metric crap tonne of new tools ( see what I did there? :D ), tool rolls, blue loctite, a tube patch kit, a hand pump, and pretty much the entire Motion Pro cataloque... ;)

Tools aside, the actual bolts on to the bike have been great so far.

The bike has been fantastic - rips like a chainsaw on nitrous, is comfy on the road and just gives me the giggles on every ride! I will admit the bike wanders a bit on the highway, but that's a tire issue (Pirelli MT21s). That said, the tires rock in the dirt.

Might fiddle with sprockets, but so far the bike works well for me. This might change in the Spring when I can access more technical terrain again.
  4. Kimball76

Kimball76 I'll take one of each.

Oddometer:
    Thanks ramjet, I'll look into both options.
  5. mickwheeler

mickwheeler n00b

Oddometer:
    I realize this thread is about the 2012 model, but I wanted to provide my experience with a 2009 model to lend some perspective.

I've owned my 2009 690 Enduro for less than two years (purchased in April 2011 with less than 1,000 miles on it)... in which time I've put more than 80,000 miles (yes, you read that correctly) on the bike. In that time, I've replaced a few things: intake rocker (at 31K), stator (at 47K), water pump seals (also at 47K) and rear wheel bearings (at 56K - the replacement was precautionary, had water/mud get into the sprocket carrier after getting a rock lodged in the spacer). KTM updated the rockers with a new bearing design in 2010, so when mine broke, I installed the updated version on both the intake and exhaust sides (and no issues since). I certainly recommend a re-valve of both the front and rear suspension... the front is much too soft and the rear is too sluggish from the factory.

I do oil changes every ~2,000 miles (my rule of thumb is 1,000 miles per liter of capacity, regardless of factory recommendations) and I've done a few mods to the bike (mostly convenience - grip heaters, RAM Mount for nav, turn signals in handguards, etc), but I ride an average of 1,000 miles per week... which means I need a good historical record of how long tires, brakes, bearings, etc. last. I have kept an accurate record of every oil change, suspension service, etc, so I can determine the service life of most items on the bike. Most things haven't worn out... I go through tires and oil/filters, but that's about it.

I have mapped, re-mapped and tried various mods with the airbox and throttle body, both with the XC1 (KTM Diagnostic Tool) and with TuneECU. I have little in the way of recommendations here, but I can say what's worked for me is the EVO map with a few tweaks (I use an open airbox cover and Wings exhaust). If you want smooth throttle response, with little or no "chug" you'll have to learn to do a proper calibration of the TPS and adjust your cables accordingly. Do this adjustment at least four or five times, following the instructions (posted on this forum and others) religiously. DO NOT trust a dealer to do this correctly (unless the tech owns a 690), learn to do this procedure yourself (buy a service manual if necessary). There is no substitute for doing this procedure correctly and a seemingly insignificant amount of voltage disagreement between the throttle-side TPS and the servo-side TPS can result in a "hunting" condition.

I ride every day, in every weather condition and on every type of terrain (single track, interstate, Deal's Gap, etc), so my assessment has been thorough over the past twenty or so months. I would ride this bike anywhere, in any weather and I often do. As I approach the 100K mile mark, I will have to replace my clutch (discs) and put on my third set of brake pads, but I fully expect to go another 100K miles on this bike.

I would have to say that this has been the most reliable bike I've ever owned (and I've owned Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, Suzukis and other KTMs)... YMMV.

If you're considering a 690, feel free to PM with any questions.
  6. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you decided to post...It's good to hear the possitive side of things especialy with that sort of milage.
    What oil have you been using and how has the Wings canister stood up? I understand it has a spark arrestor but not recognized in US. Have you had any issues with that?
  7. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Nicely done Mick!

...makes me want to buy my bike all over again! I'll settle for a couple rides this week. :)
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I kinda figured the motor on these bikes would go a long ways without any major repairs if you didn't ring the piss out of them like I did. Looking forward to getting a lot more miles before I have to do another top end :clap
  9. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your butt must be wrecked:rofl

I'd like to know which tyres you use - my stock rear TKC has 2300miles on it and won't last much longer. I've just bought a Pirelli Scorpion for mostly street use over the next few months, I've got my fingers crossed it will last longer than the TKC.
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Heh, when I saw 80K miles all I could think was that's like 120 tires :eek1 :lol3
  11. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scorpions handled well on my 950 (was grinding pegs in the twisties) but the tires didn't last very long for me (3500 miles) and I usually get more mileage than most on tires. I'm curious about your mileage on the scorps though.

I might stick a super explorer or K-60 on the back when my stock tires are used up. I was able to rail the corners on my K-60 on the 950 and got 8200 miles out of the super explorer rear. Super explorers felt really good in the dirt, the k-60 was a little squirrley but I could rail on the K-60 on pavement but couldn't on the SE.
  12. Chris 690R

Chris 690R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 690 and am very happy so far! Is the 12 model that much better than prior years?

Chris
  13. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    "Better" is subjective. The '12s did recieve a number of updates, however, which many feel enhanced the bike a bit. I don't know the difference, though, as I bought a '12, so it is what it is to me. And I love it. :)

Even when I drop it 7 times on one ride...LOL
  14. Chris 690R

Chris 690R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also know no different which is my question. Maybe I need to let a prior year 690 owner ride my 2012 and give me his feedback!!!! Who wants to ride my 12 690????
  15. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. DirtRider50

DirtRider50 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a 2012 KTM 690 R Enduro. The bike is great, but I have to take the highway very often for long periods of time and 6th gear is not enough. If I down the sprocket from 45 to 42 would it help without losing too much the off road capabilities? I plan to do a lot of of road as well.

Thanks for any comments.....
    <!-- / message -->
  17. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, a 42 rear sprocket with drop your cruising rpms by about 400rpms. Or you can go +1 on the front sprocket for the same result.
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will seem a bit over the top, but I was astonished by how much difference an aftermarket air filter made - I was intending to change the gearing (for the reasons stated), and only held off doing so as would have to have changed the chain as well – subsequently added the new air filter, and the bike feels as though it has a new gear - now cruises at 110kph at < 5K revs, which is pretty comfortable - I won't now change the stock gearing, which is ideal for the enduro end of things ...

PS: if determined to change gearing, take the counter-sprocket up to 16 and leave the rear as is.
  19. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which air filter did you get:ear
  20. spoky0

spoky0 n00b

Oddometer:
    2011 enduro R - Mine was a bit lumpy when new but got progressively better as it put on a few miles, Akra fitted and remapped, 2750 miles, no issues, runs clean and smooth right up to limiter in all 3 settings. No low speed idling problems, well no more than you get from any single, will never idle like a four. Best dual sport I've ever owned, wouldn't part with it for anything. :rofl