When is the 1190 ADV hitting the US?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Englishmatt, Oct 8, 2013.

1. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can we get 50 cent worth?

How did the bikes compare on the pavement. We all know the R will excel in the dirt noticeably due to the 21" front wheel, but how much does it give up on the street?

Does the 21" front wheel still have that great planted feel full of feedback the 19" has?

ac
  2. Espada

Espada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sucks. Come on KTM, how about showing folks in VA and MD some love?! No demonstration bikes, and no official word from KTM representatives to our dealers when they will get bikes to our dealers. It's sad that I know more about when bikes, "should," be getting to my dealer's shop, than my dealer himself. Of course, I can tell him everything I know on this site, but it would matter because he - understandably - works off information from his KTM dealer rep.

Oh well, I still need to sell my Multistrada 1200S anyways.
  3. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have one in Charleston WV if you're close enough.
  4. Espada

Espada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel.!
  5. nvdesertrat

nvdesertrat Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I didn't think the 1190R gave up anything on the street, I enjoyed the cornering much more with the R over the standard. So the answer is yes I believe the 21" front wheel does have the great planted feel of the 19".

I am 6' and I was a bit cramped on the standard, between seat and pegs, although I believe the seat was in the lowest position. So I would advise if you can take a test ride if you can, even if you have to travel a bit to do it.
  6. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks JTucker and LSHD. I have an R on order in Seattle and my dealer says December as well.

I found a options bundle offered by ktmtwins.com but there are no ordering options on the Standard or R is there? In the US you take one factory build and swap on powerparts from there correct?

This talk of "options" in the USA is confusing me.
  7. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a test ride on the std, the only bike they had. The seat in the low position was ridiculously cramped and I'm only 5' 11" with a 29.5" inseam!

I have read the R doesn't have much more seat to peg difference...

ac
  8. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as seat height, the standard is adjustable 860mm to 875mm.. IF you get the heated ergo seats that adds another 20mm. that would be 895mm compared to the "R" is 890MM.. you would have a taller seat on the "Standard" version. Also, the pegs are adjustable 10mm up/down (so is the "R" version)
    I sat on a Standard with the seat at 875mm I was not even flat footed on the floor and I'm 6"2 32 inch inseam..
    So please help me understand how the "Standard "is not tall enough?

useful site
    http://cycle-ergo.com/
    compare the Adv 1190 STD to the "R" and you will see the Ergo on the Std and "R" are not far off. in fact if you put it to high position and the Ergo Heated Seat . the knee angle is less bent
  9. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    In corners with the 21" in wheels , did you notice how close the tire rubber was between the wheel rim and road? being that the width of the 21 wheel is much thinner? I have heard the rim gets way to close to the road.
    your experience please?
    thanks
  10. Cottonwood Pass

Cottonwood Pass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1190 ADV finally arrived here in northern Colorado last Thursday. I rode it this last Saturday. I'm 6'1 and have a 2013 990 ADV that I bought August of this year. I bought the 990 because I had some great riding left to do, KTM had no commitment to 1190R demo's or deliveries and I have read so much about the 990 that my decision was easy.

I made an expensive decision back in August!

The dealer walked me through the electronics of the 1190 and off I went.
    150hp, Continental Trail Attacks, beautiful weather and permission to demo for 50 miles. Found a lot of dirt, fields with dirt roads, berms and some resiual flood damage sand. The T/A's were not the tire for sand but on I25 and all by ways the T/A's were great, btw. Suspension is a beautiful thing for this ride in all three modes. I ran "Sport" power and suspension was Sport (can't remeber all three settings, Sport Street Comfort)?

The power, 150bhp. Wheelies. The shift light that came on at 6500r's and a noticeably smooth 6 speed trans combined with the weight that seems to be no heavier than my 990 with Jesse's. The power, acceleration and torque is definitely v-twin KTM.

I know that the1190R is my choice and my $500 deposit says so. December delivery, according to the dealer, is forecast but not reliable to me.
  11. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    Did you demo a Standard or "R" version?

12. Cottonwood Pass

Oddometer:
    Standard with the Cont TA's as stock. This was actually the euro version I was told. I wouldn't know the difference between US and euro because I've never seen a US version.

This dealer says "No demo's allowed with the R", Deposits only.
  13. vasculopath

vasculopath You are not your bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I rode a BMW F800GS for 4 years. Built it up with panniers, rally seat, bar risers, knobbies etc, etc, etc, you guys all know the drill. Ultimately I got rid of it because an 800 cc parallel twin is just plain 'uninspiring' on the street. I live about 6 hours from Moab which puts me in a particular bind when it comes to bike choice. I can't stand the idea of trailering, and if I'm gonna cage it there, I have a built up Jeep that can get me nearly any where I want to go when I arrive, but if you have ever spent time in a jacked up soft top jeep on 35's, you can imagine a full day of highway...I picked up a WR250R a few years back and it is the perfect small dualsport. Plated, will do 80, real enough suspension for tight track, light, and Japanese reliability with street bike service intervals. But 6 hours on the highway is pretty deadly. Here's hoping the big Katoom I have on order will fill the gap. Fun for the 6 hours in between me and Moab (though highway, there is a fair share of twisty) and still fun when I get there.

Until KTM does a 750 high performance twin that can carry bags, it will just have to do. :evil
  14. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    would you say the standard is still a good/great bike to have fun in the dirt?
    with tck80 (offroad tires) would it be a good choice?
    80/20 onroad /offroad riding

thanks
  15. Cottonwood Pass

Oddometer:
    Indeed IMO it's a great bike to have fun in the dirt! I'm talking " alot of fun". Remember KTM is offering two models of this bike, your standard and the R for a reason.

Conti's are like Michelins Anake to me, they look great and are a great road tire but not so great in soup, sand or snow/slush. To me if it looks more like a road tire then it's a road tire.

I've been told that KTM 1190ADV is the offering of a bike that rivals the GS and the Duc. These to me are fantastic machines but they are much more street than the 990Adv. The 990Adv is more off-road than street.

The 1190ADV is best suited for that 80% road-running. The 19" vs 21" front wheel tells the story to me. Suspension that's "adjust on the fly" (R is not electronic adjustable) and three power settings to prevent you from doing damage to yourself or your investment. I can go a lot of places with it certainly, but I can go more places off-road with the R and do it better than the R will do on the street.

I'd like them both.
  16. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I blasted the demo down a gravel road. It felt good. The standing ergos left a bit to be desired, but nothing some bar risers couldn't fix.

What amazes me is riding a bike with a 19 vs a 21 back to back. I rode my Tenere with a 19 front and then immediately hopped on a buddies 950 ADV with the 21 on the same gravel road within minutes.

The 21 made the road feel PAVED it smoothed it out that much.

ac
  17. aspaldo

aspaldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Five hours is too far away, unfortunately.

Does KTM consider the DC metro area a different sales region from Charleston, WV and thus serviced by a different corporate rep? I find it baffling that areas North, South, and West of here are getting demo bikes or able to place orders, but here - not a word.
  18. Espada

Espada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe KTM does not like US foriegn policy, and thus is taking it out on us. :rofl
  19. Jake Mountain

Jake Mountain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told at the KTM dealer where i demo'd the 1190, that the dealers that went to Austria got the first demo bikes into the US. Then the other dealers will get there's.
  20. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was also told the dealers that went to Austria to ride were given the option to buy the bike they rode. The demo bike I rode was purchased after the ride and shipped over. So technically it was a 2013 and had the euro color scheme and why there was not a standard and an R to demo.