Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  2. soewe812

soewe812 Wag more Bark less

Oddometer:
  3. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Be nice if they had my size. :bluduh
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tried repeatedly to get used to the round grips that come standard on a mountain bike, be they the OEM variety or aftermarket ones made of softer foam rubber. None of them seem to work for me; all of them leave my palms red and sore after less than an hour of riding. It's particularly bad when I ride trails littered with large roots, rocks, and the occasional fallen tree. Going over those causes the full weight of my upper body to come down hard on my palms, whereas on smoother trails I try to use my back muscles to keep the pressure off the handlebars. 'Contour grips', with a large flat shelf area on which to rest my palms work well, but they're heavy and not ideally shaped for when you're standing up on the pedals. Are there any other round grips I should try? Or maybe there's something wrong with my riding posture that I can correct?

:ear
  5. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had great results with my Ergon GP1 grips. I know they're contour, but, I don't notice any difference when standing up. For sure, I'll never go back to a round grip.
  6. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Are you holding your grips too tightly while you're riding? Also, when I hit rocks/drops/roots, I'm usually off the saddle, seat squeezed between my bent knees with a loose grip on my bars. I can't really relate to having my weight come down on my bars, usually everything is weighting the pedals. How are your gloves?
  7. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are the same grips I'm using. They're very heavy compared to foam grips though, and I need to get my bike down to 22 lbs. so I can be as fast as all the pro racers. :D
  8. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    @A: Sounds like you're stem's too low rather than any fault of the grips. I haven't seen you on a bike, so that's a WAG. AFA answering your question: :dunno I'm using the same grips I've had on my bike since the early 2000s and haven't tried anything different.

In other news: this one from the WTF file :eek1

More WTF?! Ummm anyone else think that this thing shouldn't be worn by males?

M
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's how I ride, too, except I don't use my knees to hold the seat.

Ahhh! You're too much. :lol3

Absolutely, do not look here. :evil
  10. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. I was doing that when I first started riding, but I'd get cramps in my hands, so now I concentrate on keeping a fairly loose grip on the bars. The only time I consciously tighten my grip is when I'm bouncing over big rocks and roots, where I'm afraid the handlebars may be wrenched out of my hands if I don't grip them tightly enough.

I'm using standard issue padded gloves. Are you supposed to squeeze the seat between your knees in those situations? I was told to do just the opposite and to let the bike move around under me, but that makes keeping my balance on the bike more difficult when standing.
  11. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nono No hard tail for me, unfortunately. I test rode an 18 lb hard tail belonging to a local racer. I was so battered after just one mile that I couldn't wait to get off the thing.
  12. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ergos were worked out by the shop owner who built the bike. He's an ex-racer who happens to be exactly my size and weight, so I figured the setup has to be right. :dunno
  13. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    I was taught to do that when I started riding mountain bikes as a kid, I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it keeps me attached to the bikes while allowing my arms to stay loose and bent at the elbows.
  14. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll try that and see if it makes a difference. :thumb
  15. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Nice! Any pics of that S-Works you mentioned earlier? :ear
  16. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't taken any pictures of it myself, but it shows up in a photo one of my riding buddies took of his new Niner yesterday. Hint: mine is the white one. :evil

[​IMG]
  17. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Damn!:eek1 nice ride!
  18. vfr700

vfr700 172S

Oddometer:
    Aurelius:

Obviously I haven't watched you ride, but looking at the photo- your saddle seems way forward, & the stem seems fairly short. That could account for some forward weight bias, just my $.02. Nice rig
  19. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Obviously something's off.

:nod

M
  20. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to be quite the chick magnet. Three girls yelled, 'Nice bike!'... as they passed me on the trail. :bluduh