Motion Pro - BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ciedema, May 9, 2013.

1. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    So I gave these Motion Pro tools a try today for the first time BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker.

So will it break the bead on the rear wheel of the Adventure? Yep sure will, quite well in fact. You have dick about a bit to get "fork" part in far enough, but it once there it pops it off straight away.

Is the lever part any good? Not really to broad and flat - I reverted to my normal spoons.
  2. howl

howl 990 Adventure

Oddometer:
  3. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Yeah but that is a bit big to throw in a tool bag :D

I actually brought these for on the road, travelling. For that purpose they work well.
  4. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Motion Pros are nice but don't accomplish anything that 3 stubby irons won't.
  5. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Your a better man than me! I can't break the bead with stubby tire irons or even my spoons - and don't really like using the stand to do it.
  6. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm really not trolling, or trying to cause a heated whatever... But why do you need to use a bead-breaker? Just plonk the wheel down on some soft ground, put your heel on the bead-wall, and let your body weight do it all?

Or am I the only one that is 100kg (+)? Been doing this since a kid though, and never a bead not broken.... Getting the damned bastard things to seat and pop correctly is a different story..!

Sorry to hijack, just really curious as I see this all the time and have never understood.
    thereyougo likes this.
  7. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    I can do that with anything other the 4" rim on the back of the Adventure, generally not even that extreme, a quick lever under the edge of the rim and bang it is done, but I can't do it this rim due the safety bead. I could be to unco though :)

Getting it to seat is no problem, little soap and they will sometimes pop on at 20psi, mostly a little more.

I actually like changing the tyre, once the bead is broken comes off and goes on really easy.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Craig was mounting and dismounting Hidenau K60's which have really stiff beads.

:1drink
  9. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I just learned an easy way to pop the bead on a K60 - just have a blowout at 70... By the time you stop, both sides are broken, so you only need to change your shorts and thrown in a new tube.

[​IMG]
  10. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Front wheels are easy :-) It is rears that are hard.
  11. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

It's easy you could do it for sure, put three irons in the bead a few inches apart, push down the outer two and pry up with the middle one it's the same principle as the MP units.
  12. KTMbageera

KTMbageera Adventurer

Oddometer:

WOW, Have to pack extra shorts for this drill. Not sure I want to "practice" this move. Glad you survived with only your shorts a casualty.
  13. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pair of these, had $40 of gift card credit @amazon and $53.46 wasn't as obnoxious as the list-price. I've tried the side-stand trick and it's worked sometimes (but not always). I figure I'll try these. If they are no better I can turn-em around in the Flea Market.

[edit: also saw this guy raves about them (about half way down): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22239540&postcount=180 and if you look at the video of Schofield Pass embedded in the previous thread post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22222793&postcount=149 you'll see that they all know a thing or two about bikes]
    tnktm likes this.
  14. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Every time I see this and other threads about bead breaker solutions, I simply just don't get it. Why the ferk do you want to spend money, or lug shed loads of weight in the case of some solutions out there??? Motion pro forged ally spoons are the bollocks. These supposed tire breaker spoons are not, don't fit in yer hand nice or give you the leverage the proper tools do. They are an abortion frankly.

Guys. The side stand solution. Works. Every time. I am a slim 51 year old and I can do it alone. In the bush.

WTF bother?

WTFV online, just put it in a youtube search.

Case closed.
    Next....
  15. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    I think by now, EVERY person understands that the side-stand trick exists. WE GET IT. We don't need another post stating it. This thread isn't titled "what technique should I use to break the bead", it's titled " Motion Pro - BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool".

Please try to honor the topic/spirit of a thread, if you can't, then noone is forcing you to post on it.
    asuperstar likes this.
  16. Martynho

Oddometer:
    Silence was never my forte.

The side stand technique works, you acknowledge it. So why fanny about? Sorry but I call it as I see it, and make no apology for that, but thank you for your personal guidance in any case.

17. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:

Wanker!!!
  18. Martynho

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete.

I should include the full previous message as sent in a PM and curiously edited from public view. I am sorry but the "silence is fine" bit just sends me off on one. Not having it.

You don't need to. The thread wasn't titled "how do I break the bead" or otherwise asking for suggestions.

Please do everyone a favor and try and honor the spirit of the thread topic, noone is forcing you to say something, silence is fine also.

Everyone gets that the "side stand" technique exists.
    <!-- / message -->

19. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Publically quoting PM's as you just did will earn you a vacation. I recommend against it!
  20. Martynho

Oddometer:
    Aye