NC Tag O Rama is here

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Ridge-Runner, Sep 15, 2008.

1. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    ooooh I'm hungry...only 154 miles from me...they close at 3pm guess I wouldnt make it in time...:deal:lol3
  2. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Benny, that Yammy of yours goes a little faster than 50 doesnt it:evil I know the Honda does.
  3. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    Ummm well...Yeah it does...but it dont go 155 miles and hour which was what i would have had to do to get there before they closed...:lol3:deal
  4. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    Sure it does. Just be ready to buy all the troopers lunch when you get there. :lol3:lol3:lol3

I don't expect this to last the day though it looks to be a wet weekend.
  5. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    The speedo on the Yammie doesnt go past an indicated 85mph..a real joke so it would be hard to gauge my speed after that. I did have a friend yrs ago clock me with a radar gun(he was a cop) and I topped out at 128 mph.:deal
  6. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. they don't serve doughnuts at Leon's I am guessing ..

.. rode out there tonight through this stinking thunderstorm (with a stock KLR headlight I might add) .. came up 89, turned up to main street next to the emporium at the intersection of the museum .. thunder clap .. all of the lights go out in the city (pretty kewl looking at 9pm in the dark and stormy weather) .. cop drives buy .. I catch up to him and ask about Joe's (DOH !! not Leon's) .. thoughtful look on his face and he asks me, "are you sure it's not in Mt Pilot"? .. so back home I head through the frakin storm .. just over 100 soggy miles round trip .. missed it by less than one city block ..

.. get home and check the google .. oh yeah ..

.. bad cop .. no doughnut for you .. of course, I could have asked for the correct burger joint too .. argh ...
  7. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Oh Man! Was that cop a little squeaky guy named Barney?? :huh
  8. RevBill

Oddometer:
    Tag #723
    Leon's Burger Express
    407 North Main Street
    Mount Airy, NC 27030-3813
    (336) 789-0849

[​IMG]

.. it's not just a hobby, it's an adventure.

::: edit ::: DOH .. screwed up the header .. it's # 723 ..

.. thought I might have been Bruced .. or I got someone else .. passed a couple on 704 that were looking at me real hard .. what looked like a blue/white 250 DS and a big red cruiser ..
  9. RevBill

Oddometer:
    .. just around the corner from # 718 I have passed a sign that always made me curious as to where it lead .. a most unlikely sight for the area .. it is not the original sign though .. the old one aged out and was replaced a couple of years ago .. this sign is on the same road that I mentioned in Tag # 719 .. a three-digit road that adds up to 11 ..

[​IMG]

.. just down that road is this place .. TAG SHOT #1

[​IMG]\

.. from the other side .. TAG SHOT #2

[​IMG]

.. the tags shots are visible in Google earth .. so is the clue shot/spoiler below ..

... CLUE SHOT .. maybe a spoiler .. but in Google maps it does not show with this road number on the NC side of the line, instead it shows the street name that would describe a well-worn book or picture (note .. the road number is damaged and is 657, not 651) ..

[​IMG]

.. interestingly enough .. this could also be used for the VA Tag game as well since it straddles the NC/VA border .. if you park your bike at the first Tag Shot and look down you'll see this ..

[​IMG]

... note .. if you wander down the gravel driveway you may find a gate .. just past the gate is the visitor's parking (gravel) and you will see the home of the brothers who reside there .. I was half expecting some medieval castle or something else monasterial ..
  10. IndiaPaleAle

IndiaPaleAle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aww man, BRUCED! :lol3

[​IMG]

The worst part is that they aren't open on Sunday.
  11. RevBill

Oddometer:
    .. I hear ya .. my mouth was watering there and back .. as many times as I have been up there along the main drag and in the shops I have never been to Leon's .. I will have to fix that soon .. Hwy 89 between Fransisco and My Airy is one of the best in the area ..
  12. STBNE

STBNE Scooterrazzi

Oddometer:
    Nice tagging RevBill:clap Acouple weeks back on NCStephen's foothills tour we rode Rt89 oh what fun that was...a real snaky winding road...makes ya pay attention:deal:eek1
  13. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    :clapWay to go RevBill:clap You got it that time. Now you have to go back tomorrow for the third time and eat :lol3
  14. RevBill

Oddometer:
    .. I like the way you think .. lol .. actually, I work straight through until next Tuesday .. if the wife and kids are headed down to her moms for the day I may do just that ..
  15. JoeWannaB

JoeWannaB Usually a nice guy

Oddometer:
    That's too bad you have to work over the weekend. I was going to see if you wanted to got to the Tour de Tellico now that your KLR has gotten a taste for the dirt.
  16. RevBill

Oddometer:
    .. that would have been awesome .. (cough cough) .. man I'd love to go (shiffle) .. heh heh ..

.. yeah .. sadly I work the next four weekends and will miss the Tour and East Meet too .. but that won't last forever and I am already scanning the upcoming events to see what may hit in my favor .. I will be looking at some of the fall rides too and may burn some vac time ..

.. btw .. I scored a set of those ATV bags with a matching handlebar bag for about $13.00 on ebay .. thanks for the tip on those Joe ..
  17. NCStephen

NCStephen Riding NC

Oddometer:
    Ride Invite Piedmont NC, NW NC foot hills 5/21

This is an open invite to join me on a ride to the base of the NW Mountains of NC., 5/21

Hillsborough 7:30
    Lewisville breakfast 8:45
    421W, 16N Gas/break 10:30
    Stone Mtn , break 12:30
    Pilot Mtn, Gas/ Lunch 2
    Martinsville VA Break (gas?) 4:00
    Hillsborough 5:30

Route will include Parsonville, Purlear, Vannoy, McGrady, Traphill, Roaring Gap, Devotion, Pilot Mtn, Moores Springs, Campbell, Horse Pasture.

http://tinyurl.com/nc-foothills-tour-II

This is similar to an earlier ride but doing some roads that I missed and added one section.

The roads will be a wide range of straight 4 lanes to get there to smooth sweeping secondary roads to tighter rougher twisting roads to even a bit of narrow country lanes. Perhaps a few miles of gravel depending upon the feelings of those going along.

Give a shout if you are interested.

I am not expecting this to be a large group, only maybe 3-6

NCS
  18. Red F

Red F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NCStephen, I might meet you for some of the Wilkes section. I'll have to see if I can get away. I'll probably meet you where you get off 421. Will you be getting gas there?
  19. NCStephen

NCStephen Riding NC

Oddometer:
    whhoooooaaa
    I found this on the second page today.
    Have folks given up riding.. or even talking about riding?
  20. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    it's up near Virginia.

No one likes that state.

:rofl