Prescott, Laughlin, Barstow & Back

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by AZ TOM, Oct 1, 2012.

1. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last call for alcohol & a looong ride!
  2. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Have fun, stay safe.
  3. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Will do Buddy. Will make sure my wife has your phone number, but no rescue planned. Just lots of fun open desert:clap & maybe a couple bucks on the Black Jack table for gas money:D Going to Yamaha it.
  4. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is gonna be a great ride. We just did 120 miles around Laughlin and Needles last Sunday. Riding was fantastic. Have fun and be safe.
  5. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mr Thumbs. Weather should be perfect. I hope:D
  6. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    How was that rain?!
  7. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of traction and no dust. Perrrrrrfect! :clap:clap
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
  9. MTFYR

MTFYR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish i would have saw this thread, would have said hi in Laughlin.

We rode from Barstow ( actually Daggett ) to Laughlin on Fri-12th to the AVI.

Rode to Oatman and aroung the area on Sat. Then home on Sunday.

How about the weather, was that perfect or what, except the not so dry lake!!!!
  10. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    I am riding Nov. 13,14,15,16th. Glad your ride was a good one. Tell me more on Soda Lake? Passable down the middle?
  11. MTFYR

MTFYR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Replied to PM, we made it that day, as long as no huge rain till then, no problem!
  12. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    17 days & counting:clap
  13. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    5 days & counting:clap:clap
  14. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Tom

I posted GPS tracks on Dual Sport Maps a couple of years ago along with all the POI waypoints from Dennis Casebier's Mojave Road Guide which I encourage everyone to purchase/read before you ride the Mojave Rd: http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5094.html

Go here for the CORE .gpx tracks I loaded: http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=106920

I generally recommend folks riding across from Barstow "loop it" once they hit the poleline near Ft. Piute.....ride over Christmas Tree Pass on the way into Laughlin and ride along the river then Mojave Rd. on the way back out the next day.....

I'll be out at my Bullhead City house for Thanksgiving.....
  15. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris.
  16. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will enjoy the trip a whole lot more by having the book Chris recommends. I would recommend stopping at Kelso Station. The park service has done a nice job of renovation. The original service counter is open for lunch and dinner. It is called The Beanery.
  17. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips but not planning much in the way of side trips. When I cross Kelso/Cima I will hit the roller coaster whoops, most fun part of the trail. Will depart Laughlin 7:00ish & plan to reach Motel 6 in Barstow before dark. Thats the plan anyway:D You know the best laid plans of mice & Men on Yamaha's:lol3
  18. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    You might want to follow my tracks along the River Rd. to Mojave Road when you leave Laughlin......you'll be amazed how low the river is in the morning........nice/quiet ride

I know you're not too interested in side trips but the Lava Tubes are just a few miles north of Mojave Rd as you approach Kelbaker.......my DSM track set includes a short/optional track for that side trip........a worthwhile stop on the way over to Barstow, or the way back from Barstow, if you've never seen'em before........

Likewise, on the way back you might want to consider diverting from Mojave Rd. once you reach Ft. Piute and take the track I loaded that'll guide you over Christmas Tree pass and back down to 163/Laughlin.....something different (and easy dirt after a long day).....

Have fun.....I'm jealous!

Chris

PS: Do you have a SPOT? If so, REGISTER FOR FREE on "Where Am I Riding" for an easy to remember tracking link so friends/family can follow you on your journey.

My friend Roger (Strega) created the site. Here's the link: http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
  19. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    I have a 1 gallon Rotopax that I mount on my Tail Rack as/if needed.....it's a stackable system if you need to carry another gallon of gas or water......check out their site: http://www.rotopax.com/Gasoline/

Tom - FYI - There's a gas station at the intersection of Hwy 95/163 if you divert towards Christmas Tree Pass on the return or on the way out....I just dropped in the new waypoint on DSM......should've had it there from the start...
  20. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much Chris for all the info, very helpful. Have the Safari & never run it out. Put in 3.4 gal once so am pretty sure most is usuable. Planning on easy on the throttle as much as possible through the sand so as to get as good milage as I can, I watch a lot of Nascar & see how it's done:lol3 so should be OK. If on your next trip across you see a bag of bones next to this little Blue bike you know it didn't work:lol3