Wee-strom vs new F650GS for an ex-SVS'er

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Wozzer, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BMW web site has the F650 listed but not the new F800/650GS?

I wanted to see what the US list price will be.

I purchased a 2008 Wee Strom in Dec. '07 for $6450 because BMW was not going to bring the F800/650GS into the US and I'm totally delighted with the Wee Strom. The Wee is one of the few great Values available. It does everything very well, fun to ride, and the price just makes me grin from ear to ear :lol3
  2. gordo5

gordo5 Roadkill

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda surprised to see some posts on this thread bashing bmw reliability. I thought that was one of the things their famed for... they are the only ones that give a 3 year warranty, afaik. Others are 1.

I've had a f650gs for a few years now that I bought used and it's never been in the shop. I've put on a new chain, gotten new rubber and done countless oil changes and that's been it. It's been abused and it's been bulletproof.

I was thinking of a wee but was surprised at what used ones were going for locally. When I realized the msrp was the same it's got me thinking of the 650 twin. The wee has a track record but the beemer is about 30 pounds lighter, makes a bit more power and a lot more torque. Pretty compelling in my books.
  3. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go get the 650Twin I guarantee you won't regret it and I can vouch that the lighter weight is real and so is more horsepower ....... :deal
  4. johno

johno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
    If comfort is the main concern, dont wait for the new Beemer 650.
    Bloody seat is terrible.:cry
    Rest of bike is great.
    Corbin, please help.:lol3
  5. FlyNavy

FlyNavy 2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer:
    Your kidding, right?
  6. gordo5

gordo5 Roadkill

Oddometer:
    No, he's not. Maybe your confusing the f650gs (650cc single) with the 2008 f650gs (detuned 800cc twin)? The new bike makes approx 5 more HP and 25 or 30% more torque than the wee.
  7. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a WeeStrom, as well as R1200GS and a DL1000. They are all great bikes!

I really like the new F800GS, and I think the new F650 is pretty close.

I am guessing the real world price differenctial is huge. i.e. you will likely pay full retail for the new Beemer, whereas the Wee can be found (out the door) for $6500 or so (maybe a bit higher with ABS).

Is the Beemer worth the difference?

You'll get all kinds of opinions, but it's your money, you decide.

I think you would be pretty darn pleased with either bike.
  8. gordo5

gordo5 Roadkill

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sure both are excellent machines. Locally (at annoyingly high Canadian prices) it isn't hard to find a wee at $1K less than msrp, so $8000 and they'll often eat the pdi. The beemer will end up $9500-10000.

For the extra $$ you get a bit more performance and a bit less weight. You also get an inadequate fairing, a bobbing master cylinder and a single headlight. But you also get the 3 year warranty and both bikes will sell in a few years for a few thou less than the purchase price.

:lobby
  9. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a K7 Wee, and did a short test ride on the new twin650GS (the model naming is really weird and confusing to everyone else but the Germans I guess...)

It actually felt quite good, very flickable almost like a supermoto, and lots of torque. But not as good wind protection as the DL, and as someone mentioned, the seat is far from perfect. The 1-disc front brake worked surprisingly well.

In a test published recently, the Wee and twin650GS made similar top end power, less than 1 hp difference there, but the Beemer has naturally got much more torque low down.

In my country the price difference is about 1000 euros (1000 more for the BMW, both come with ABS). The "real" 800GS is yet 2700 more, not justified in my opinion, but this detuned "fake650" is actually surprisingly cheap over here, and might sell well.

Not changing anytime soon, though, cos I love the Wee, and Im not 100% convinced how the new Beemers will do technically in the long run. Maybe got scared after hearing so many stories about the 1200GS.