Alpine Scouts Leak...Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AdventurePoser, Nov 19, 2012.

1. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, the title says it all...Love the boots. Great support, and super comfortable. The problem is that I wore them for the first time in the rain the other day and my feet got pretty damp. (Hey, it hasn't rained in So Cal in ages).

The boots are deemed "waterproof," but certainly aren't. Do you guys have any suggestions for waterproofing them? I appreciate your advice!

Cheers,
    Steve
  2. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the first I have ever heard of Scouts leaking. My pair has so far been completely waterproof and many people have reported them being completely waterproof even up to the very top. You shoul probably contact your retailer to exchange for a new pair. Also do you tuck your pants in?
  3. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    I am puzzled as well. Three hours of riding in medium showers down the California coast and my socks were damp...I ride in Aerostich AD 1 pants, they are over the boot.

I also sent an email to Alpine Stars advising them of the problem.

Cheers,
    Steve
  4. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    A-Stars have always been good in exchange of leaking gear for me. Takes time but they do it. I should know-I've exchanged about half of every piece of waterproof gear I bought from them to use testing my stuff.
  5. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl

Good to know...I had the same time with a jacket. When the mfg asked me why I didn't return it sooner, I told him it hasn't rained in So Cal since LAST December...and I wasn't riding that day...

Same with my Scouts. Love the boots, but I want to take them to South America next fall, and for the money they cost, I think they should be waterproof....

Cheers,
    Steve
  6. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    Wow...synchronicity of the universe, my 2010 Scouts started leaking this weekend the last 150 miles of a 2,000 mile trip. Riding for 2 hours in constant rain, both boots had enough water in them to slosh back and forth during accel/decel. Luckily I was on my way home, in warmer South Carolina temperatures (I had been in the New England cold) when they started leaking. I was wearing over-the-boot Gore-Tex pants, so the water didn't come in over the boot tops.

In over 40,000 miles of riding in these Scouts, this was the first "failure".

I sent an enquiry to Alpinestars yesterday as well asking about suggested options.
  7. Titan1969

Titan1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had my Scouts for a year, and ridn in heavy rain but no leaks so far. I have stood in ankle deep water, no leaks either. I do tend to ratchet the clips down very tight, almost uncomfortable, perhaps thats my key to staying dry.
  8. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Wow, some report bone dry, and others report wet feet. I agree that wet feet in So Cal winter temps (66f) is not a problem other than having feet that are stewing for hours on end. However, wet feet in Patagonia at 48f will be...I am hoping Alpinestars will remedy this problem...

Best,
    Steve
  9. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Hmm...I wear mine on the looser side, but the water seems to be coming in thru the boot leather itself around the toes and top of my foot.

Still waiting to hear back from AlpineStars...

Cheers,
    Steve
  10. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    I mink oil every pair of riding boots I own even before I wear them the first time. Takes care of any potential leaking around threads. Hey, it works for minks and ferrets so why not for us? Also makes them nice and soft but has an odd odor....
  11. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get some Sealskinz. [​IMG] Then it won't matter if the boots leak.

Walter
  12. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Been running scouts for several seasons and they have been 100% waterproof even when standing in water crossings and such.

I did exchange a set last year for defective stitching and they were very helpful and fast with turnaround
  13. Get_Bent

Get_Bent Long timer

Oddometer:
    My scouts leak as well. In fairless there's a hell of a lot of stitching in them, I Assumed they would leak.

Picked them up in 2009, I wonder if there is a return policy?
  14. TrailCruiser

TrailCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only had my Scouts for about a year but no leaks. Bought them for use with my KLR, now use them with my ATV. Have never stood in water with them but in some pretty sloppy slush and rain, no problem.
    BTW, these are surprising comfortable and supple boots, my favorites!
  15. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    I'll say it again. Test every piece of waterproof gear when you get it home. Bucket test for gloves, boots, and similar.
    Hose or shower test for jackets/pants. I see PLENTY of failers in all the brands. Less in the higher price stuff most of the time but all the same enough to KNOW not to assume it will work as advertized.

Agreed: those of us in the NorthEast know what it's liie to cover 400 miles in 45 degree weather with wet body parts. Not fun.

Wet weather stuff is what I make and I ride in the rain a lot to test it. I have a closet FULL of stuff that did not make the grade. Some is mine that were prototypes, others were for a dealer friend trying new product lines, some are for other manufactures, and some to try out the competition so I would know for myself. I'd never trust any garmet without first testing it at home is my $.02 for the consumer. YMMV
  16. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

Yes, this.

The membrane that most gear relies on for waterproofing is VERY thin and EXTREMELY delicate, and it's very common to find that it's gotten damaged during assembly. Gloves are the worst because they're so complex.
  17. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Snow seal or similar makes leaky boots waterproof. Exchange is probably the best place to start, since they seem to be waterproof for some people.

Then if the new ones are waterproof at first, but develop leaks, snow seal them.