Canyonlands Adventure Ride. May 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by COXR650L, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    Dammm nice video Chris. Love me some Bad Company. :D

Holy !!!!, I did not know we were being scored for dabbing!
    My darn light and fast KLR, was just too much for me to handle. :deal

Wish I would had me a 80lbs lighter (wet weight G650 Xcountry BMW=352.7, wet weight 2011 KLR=434) BMW G650 XCountry on that hill. :lol3

:confused
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I don't keep track of that stuff unless I'm riding down Blackbear pass.
  3. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Hey I'm only claiming one corner, on one bike size.

Perhaps some of you can find your own 0.04 miles of the ride to claim king of, with your own qualifiers. :lol3

Hey Assfault! it's called sarcasm, sheesh man give an old guy a break. Just trying to have some fun, poke a little and see what kind of creative jabs I can get in return... Nice try at the BMW jab though, but I covered all my bike's BMW logos for a reason, this is my first BMW and I did not want that label and the accompanying baggage, I'm more of a Honda guy. Don't mistake tongue in cheek sarcasm for a flame there ol' buddy! I'd help you push your bike up any hill you like, as I'm sure I'll need the same favor someday. Assfault. I just like saying that... Assfault.

So still waiting for Hellsickle's jabs, he can be pretty creative in this arena.

Ben.... when you referred to dabs on Day 2... perhaps you were referring to my at speed endo followed by full body dab / dirt nap. Clearly that was a major lack of skill. So jab my dab all you want, its part of the fun.

Ok Freak man, nice video, just wish you had some of my crash site, I'd like to see what rut I hit :lol3. I noticed you passed one of those vehicles with dogs on top, I saw about 5 of those when parked at the Elk Mtn Road/WoodenShoe Road intersection, never seen that before, I assume they were hunting - what was that all about??
  4. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear some comments about your favorite parts of the Ride...

I LOVED the Weather! The ruins were amazing.

But really I meant your favorite road sections! My favorites were WoodenShoe, the Flint switchbacks, and Black Dragon.

(hey did any of you dirt bikes ride any singletrack outside of Moab - any pics or video? curious.)
  5. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hellsicle to the rescue!!:clap
  6. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Yep, I think Hellsickle was the only one in the whole group who had brake fluid. As we all know, he is always well prepared. I'll bet he even carries a jar of Grey Poupon.:lol3
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Jeff saved my ass, no rear brake was really starting to cramp my style. Got to give Ev some props, not only did he bleed the air out in about 2.5 seconds, he also quit using his back brake to show solidarity shortly after I lost mine. We then proceeded to see how fast we could ride thru Hans Flat, made for some interesting lines in a few of the corners :D
  8. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Not a big deal. I just took a few tablespoons each out of your, Cathy's, and Mark's bikes. I forgot to remind you to top off when we got home. :uhoh

FYI, I only started carrying brake fluid on long trips last year. I know a couple of folks who have had their rides saved by this. It's just a few ounces, but enough to refill a dirtbike that may have had a loose fitting.
  9. spokenerd

spokenerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice video RideFreak! Day 2 was stellar. Sure glad I had 2 brakes that day...

How do you filter wind noise out of your video?

And Snooker, I was right there when you rode that infamous switchback/asphalt ledge on your black beast & I'm still impressed.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
  11. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks Chris for doing a RR, I probably should have but......:lol3 So thanks!

Just to say one more time thanks to everyone, I dont think you could have asked for a better group of people.
  12. sknx

sknx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did almost the first day of our last year ride this weekend. Alone is not a smart idea but everything went well.
    They pretty much repair the east side of elephant hill so now it's quite easy ; found myself on top without realising. Last year I didn't even attempted and chose the easy way around.

Wife booked camp ground in Devil's Kitchen without being aware what we have to cross. Have to praise my brothers in laws visiting from Europe, they managed to get my Rubicon on the other side without damage. They were grinning like lunatics.

Way back ..... different story. Managed to drop the bike on the second to last ledge and she refused to start with a dead battery and a stomp of front brake lever. Have to love the Warn winches but had to drive to Moab, hook the trailer and recover the bike from the parking lot which on loading started on fist kick... what a beatch.

Here are some memory refreshers in pixels:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. sknx

sknx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you get out to Bobbys Hole? It was a disaster last fall.

And after coming down that getting up the west side of Elephant Hill was very difficult too.

And much of the road between the two was washed out.

Where is he easy way around Elephant Hill? That would have been good to know.
  15. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about that EH bypass he mentioned also. I'm not aware of any way to get around that if you're doing the Beef Basin Loop. EH is quite variable from year to year from my experience. Three years ago a huge section of that asphalt they laid down right at the start on the east side by the parking lot had calved off leaving a 3' step with a gap in the first hairpin. I couldn't get a run at it to make the gap and make the 3' ledge. I ain't no enduro-ince.:lol3

The next year with Hellsickle's group, all of us including two good women riders, zoomed right up with little issue. That gap had been closed up with rock stacking by jeepers or someone. The nature of numerous locations on this big loop change noticeably each year or even during the year. It also seems that some of the 4X4's really put a hurt on places in the trail. wb, I've never done that loop clockwise. I've always started with EH.
  16. sknx

sknx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The easy way around is 211 I think, but that puts you on the other side of Bobby's Hole.
    Divil's kitchen is between EF and BH so I didn't get to go all the way.

17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    It was listed as closed a month or so ago. How was the recent ride? Have you started a trip report.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

If you are talking about our Grand Canyon ride, it was great. I did post the tracks and a link to my pictures in GPS Tracks Rockies ADV area.

I'm not sure I will do a trip report. This trip was a lot like last year's that I did do a report on. But if some of the other guys send me some good pics, it might change my mind.

AKASY took a lot of video that hopefully he will post. And we can refer to your RR for video thru Casto Canyon.
  19. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    I did get some video--but I am a very slow editor--unlike Ridefreak :huh and I don't add music:D
    At least two of the others got video too--so we should have some--have to wait and see on the posting.
    I will try and do a short one on the tree crossing first:lol3
  20. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    IN?

:hide