The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Very nice video!
    I'm wondering about those display reflections, does it look worse than it is in the videos?
    Digital speed readout: Would be nice if it could switch to the left in the display (free configurable) instead of the gear display. I like the speed to be displayed large but that's only me.
  2. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    Needs someone to create a "dash designer" app. Something which lets you drag and drop display segments until you are happy with the layout, then upload the position files to the on-board ECU. :D
  3. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the quick-lock system on my 2008 but never liked the "perched" look of that system. I decided to try the BMW tankbag since they came out with the quick connects instead of the zipper system.
  4. fin reaper

fin reaper Anything 2 Wheels

Oddometer:
    Okay, so my 2011 1200GS has only 11k mi, no issues, and reasonably modified with goodies (about 3000 worth), so perish the thought of going to the new water boxer right? I somewhat reluctantly hopped on to test ride one. It looks, feels, and at idle sounds like the outgoing version but once underway and twisting the throttle the similarities are gone.

The moderate stated differences in hp and torque don't begin to tell the story. The engine spools up far more quickly and at about 4500 rpm it kicks up with authority and your butt is forced back into the new and far more comfortable seat. I found myself getting into 6th gear much more quickly than usual and all with a lot more smoothness and a more pleasing sound from the engine. Far less engine braking as well. I couldn't induce a bit of chirp from the rear tire with quick clutch releases. Engine braking is far less forceful but the new binder arrangement scrubs the speed off quickly.

I did notice more of a minor high frequency vibration at the seat that felt more transmission than engine induced.

Handling felt better as well. I negotiated a small twisty course on the test ride route much faster than I normally would and felt like I was even holding back some.

This new model extends the "sport touring" capabilities of this bike in a big way. I'm usually the plod down the freeway at stated limits, conserving fuel and wear type of guy. If I go for the new one, I'll end up left laning at higher speeds more often for sure.

Haven't tested the dirt prowress yet but on the soft stuff my "bike vs rider" capability index is much lower anyway so it's not likely ill be able to discern those differences enough to matter at this point.

Back to the practicality aspect. While I'll take somewhat of a bath selling minke and getting the new one, I won't need to replace the Aprilia Shiver I just sold. Sporting wise it's that good, so ultimately ill end up spending less.
  5. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Joke or no joke that would be nice.
    Currently impossible too.
    BMW went for LCD segment display instead of a full LCD (pixel) panel. So we are more or less stuck.
    Far cry from 1600GT display (which is full pixel panel and also color). Simpler technology than MS12 and KTM1190 too (yet better though in practice).
    I kind of hope that first face-lift in 2-3 years, will bring a similar to 1600GT display to GS.
    Progress is unstoppable.
  6. flightestman

flightestman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GS are made to be dropped. As soon as that happens you plastics will have scratches and id think you want replace them. My Honda was the same way. There are numbers on the plastic blinkers inside the lights, but i haven´t checked that any of the other plastics. I wish the make stoppers on the GS aluminum bags where it touches the ground. I know there black rubber corners, but you can´t take them off. I love the those bags it one of my favorite parts of the bike.
    I think the new GS is pretty neat your GPS doesn´t block the tach like air there a lot i like about it, but I didn´t want miss out of the old air cooled design by getting a liquid cooled even though the new one is the same sound and it air cooled. I probably going to skip this new R1200GS and get or wait till the new RT with the new engine comes out. I hope they put LED on the new RT like did with the liquid. I do almost all my riding on road. I think BMW will step forward and make one fully liquid cooled, but the next one after the liquid cooled maybe be like the 2 oilairs they made. If you can get over that fact your engine wont be a boxer the F800GS engine is almost perfect. It sounds great and the power in torque and hp are almost perfect. BMW made great new 1200GS everyone liked the F800GS front light but BMW took it another top level with the LEDs on the new liquid cooled. it be nice to get 15hp that probably perfect as far as enough power for anyone. although the air comes close to that.
  7. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    Video I haven't seen

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Ft1D8_0E7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Calsci has just released pics of their new windscreen for the LC GS and I've ordered an x-tall for myself :d. At 6'4" w/34" inseam, the OEM screen gave me clean air flow but was incredibly loud.

I've taken the screen off entirely (hint, take the wings off first to get at the lower torq screw with a ratchet screw driver (below). It's like riding a naked bike but at least it's quiet. Mark at Calsci said they'd probably start shipping orders by 4/15.

No affiliation with the company other than being a happy customer previously (w/an FJR).

Oh, and the screen comes with a headlight guard included in the price!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Jonesky

Jonesky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the risk of getting flamed here what is going on (rumors) with the GS Adventure LC? I've seen the new straight GS but would love to hear about the Adventure other than next year you'll see.
  10. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    heres the racks for the TT luggage set up
    I think they look pretty good
    [​IMG]
  11. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Nobody knows, no official word from anybody but I guess one year from now we'll see it.
  12. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    somehow I think the RT will pop up first
  13. NLS

Oddometer:
    True.

Guys search the thread.
  14. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I think they look seriously ugly and huge. They are nowhere near the bike or the exhaust.
  15. NLS

Oddometer:
    Same here, but likes are subjective I guess (these adventure types - either true or fake :evil - seem to like this... armor).

On another subject, boy are these turn signals ugly or are these turn signals UGLY?
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    +1. Definitely not a contender for those who can lane-split.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:

Max, do you know whether this chart reflects Motorrad's dyno test results or was put together from the MFG's specs?
  18. NLS

Oddometer:
    Both. For BMW it is factory.
    It even says so.
    Numbers on left "messwerte" are Motorrad. Numbers right "werksangaben" are factory numbers.

You can find dyno measure though published.

Look in the thread.
    Here is one (I think it's a bit optimistic though).
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gQzHBFVwokk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification.
  20. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, glad I went for the BMW Varios now:deal:clap