The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. chriso

chriso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers! I hate big scopes and if I can hit a pig or bigger with either of those rifles and set ups inside 100m it isn't worth the shot or I get closer
  2. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus PT709 Slim? I went into the local gun shop asking about DAO pistols and that was one he pulled out of the case. It felt great in my hand, seemed to point well, so I was seriously thinking about going back and picking it up. But when I got online to research a little more about it I see that Taurus lists it as DA/SA but has some confusing language about the trigger setting in SA mode when a round is chambered. So that means it's a DA pistol when the chamber is empty? I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Anyway I want something that has the same trigger pull for every round, but I'm not interested in a 1911-style SA at this point. How does the PT709 trigger actually work?
  3. The_Commander

The_Commander The Man. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The one we had in our rental counter ran about 15k rounds before it puked the guts. Shipped it back, got a new replacement and it's still ticking along.
  4. urbancowboy

urbancowboy Vicious Cycler

Oddometer:
    any particular reason you'd go with that brand? if you ask me, if you're looking for a home defence/carry gun, why try to reinvent the wheel?

i would recommend one of the many options that have been carried and tested by lots and lots of people over many many years.

i'm talking about glocks, s&w M&P series, (obviously their revolvers as well), springfield XD, and sig.

in terms of holster options, magazine availability, replacement parts, aftermarket parts, i think it's worth it to stay mainstream unless you have a compelling reason not to. and i don't think saving $100 bucks is a compelling reason in this case.

if you just want a toy for the range, get whatever floats your boat.

:ear
  5. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glocks and S&W generally just don't seem to fit my hand well, and price becomes an issue for me with a lot of the higher end brands. What floats my boat would be something DAO, which is why I asked the question I did. But I appreciate the advice, it's definitely in the spirit of the typical "Does anyone know how well Brand X panniers fit on a KLR?" / "You should think about buying a BMW instead" internet input. :thumb

Commander, did you shoot it? Can you explain how that particular trigger action works?
  6. CrashDummy

CrashDummy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ruger SR9 and SCCY CPX2 are DAO. I've got both, but prefer SCCY. It's a little thicker, but not enough that I notice it even inside the waistband, and 10 rounds instead of 7.
  7. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:

Well, in that case, if you really like the Taurus PT709 Slim you should probably buy a 6-round .38/.357 Ruger revolver :D
  8. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
  9. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Damn! They told me my pistol would be a two week turn round and here it is 5 weeks later. I HATE waiting for a gun I had to send in the post. It was checked in and not sent back yet so I know it is still there but geez! And all it REALLY went back for was to refinish it since the coating was defective.
  10. urbancowboy

Oddometer:
    not really. i didn't recommend that you buy an H & K.:lol3

KLRs work and are reliable. just not as sexy or as fast as other options.

i'm recommending that you get a KLR instead of a hyosung or whatever chinese/korean cheap crap is out there if you want to use that analogy.

when it comes to a gun that you are going to rely on, i wouldn't let that $100 keep you from getting the better option. you're better off waiting another month or two, save up some dough, and get the right pistola.

buy once, cry once.

don't take this personally, i don't know the OP or his background, but i just think it's funny how people who have very little experience with guns are so picky about what "fits their hand."
    yet entire military units, police departments, and government agencies are somehow able to issue one or two handgun options to thousands of people and train them to be competent with them.

as i said before, i'd rather take advantage of the wealth of testing and experience that others have done and choose a weapon that has passed those tests.

i'd rather have the effin thing WORK than have it be super comfortable. with enough training it will become comfortable.

rant over.:D
  11. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Ergonomics can be very important, especially for those with smaller hands. A 1911 is almost borderline for me. I need thin grips, a straight mainspring housing, and a short trigger. I am very happy with a Browning HP in spite of the fact that it has a double stack magazine because the grip is shorter back to front than the 1911.

One size does not fit all. The military has options, and elite units use weapons other than the issue Beretta. Many police agencies provide for women and others with smaller hands by having alternative weapons choices.
  12. urbancowboy

Oddometer:
    "One size does not fit all. The military has options, and elite units use weapons other than the issue Beretta. Many police agencies provide for women and others with smaller hands by having alternative weapons choices."

exactly. glock and glock again.

:hide

now if the glock is too big, find another hobby. or learn karate.
  13. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    My local department uses SIGs. Better weapons. :rofl
  14. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Worked for Zimmerman at close range.:eek1
  15. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    I love the feel of the 1911 and the Browning. I have one of each, but I basically like the Browning best for 'ergonomics'. Mine is an old one and super accurate.
    Course for real ergonomics, my choice is a Ruger Bisley, if you exclude weight.:lol3 Shot a CZ75 the other day which tries to emulate best features of the Browning with a couple from the 1911. Nice feeling piece but I couldn't shoot very well with it.
  16. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Not exactly. The M9 reigns supreme for conventional forces, and there are no customizable options.

The SOF community does commission other weapons, but they are still bought in bulk and issued. Not everyone gets to pick their own weapon and bring it to the fight. 1911's and Glocks are the most common, but I've seen my fair share of Sigs too.
  17. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I don't think all of the descriptions are correct. I think the one with the filler is a subsonic round - but I could be wrong.
  18. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
    any one know a source of 12.17x44 ammo
  19. urbancowboy

Oddometer:
    these guys have the dies, if you want to make your own.

http://www.ch4d.com/dies/calibers/caliber-list?field=caliber&query=12.17

trimming the cases would be a pain though.

i've got a single stage press, let me know if i can help. not a reloading expert, and i don't cast.

from google i found this:

"Myself and others use 50-70 dies for sizing and seating the 12.7x44R. I'm also using re-formed .348 Win. cases like you.

Once I have the cases fully formed, my process is to take the cases as fired, flare the mouth a little, seat the bullet, then put a little lube on the outside and run it part way up into the sizing die without the decapping stem. Without doing that, I was having problems chambering the rounds as loaded. I have the die set so that it sizes the loaded round just enough to chamber easily. Some rollers have tighter chambers than others, so you might have to experiment a little. Once you get it dialed, it's a fun cartridge to load and shoot."

sounds like a pain in the ass to me.
  20. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level