Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    With every unit I've owned *except* the x78/x96's I've experienced (half a dozen?) and heard of waaaaay too many unit failures (won't operate from batteries any longer) when running in high-vibration environments with batteries installed. The x78/x96's have to have the batteries installed in order to keep their IPX7 rating and ironically [in a very good way] they are the only units that don't seem to suffer failure from running with batteries installed.

Bottom line for me is that when operating a unit in high-vibration environments, if the unit is still sealed without batteries, they go in my pocket.

The floptana makes me miss the x78/x96's a *lot*.... :cry
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, one of the main reasons I got rid of my POS 478 was because I had 3 batteries fail in a year. Talk about a unit that would fall apart in a high vibration environment. :eek1 And you're right, when the battery fails the unit won't work with bike power, so it becomes an overpriced bar ornament.
  3. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Do you think that the orientation of the unit might contribute to or reduce this kind of breakage?
  4. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do I get english back as default language?
    My finger slipped when I was going for the english icon and now I'm stuck in a language other than english?
    Richard
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Keeps the clip over the memory card in place.
  6. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found it. Just took a few hours!
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Ok, I see yours are broken. Never seen a broken one here, and we have had 3 Montanas over the last couple of years. It does look to me like that kind of damage doesn't happen while the battery's in place, under normal use, though. As some others have said, it looks more like battery insertion or removal damage.
  8. pro5mark

pro5mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checked, only one way the battery can be inserted/removed.

The only time the battery was out was when the unit was new to check that all the contacts were where they were supposed to be, and to insert the memory card.

All I can say is it's a good thing Cabela's has a good return policy, though it is a PIA to reload all the maps.

Mounting position.

[​IMG]
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not everyone.
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Ok; modified to "As some others have said, it looks more like battery insertion or removal damage." :lol3
  11. Timpo

Timpo NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer:
    In Romania last week......
    Screen seemed to has slipped off the touch area by 20mm, so when pressing the icons of the left of the screen (in landscape), the icons on the middle of the screen highlighted.
    So, if a screen recalibration was needed, I was unable to access the icon to open settings.....
    The 600 unit stayed in this state for several days......until one day in a hotel room where we had lowered the room temp using the aircon to a very cold state (10c), then the unit began to work correctly again, with perfect screen calibration.
    So, back in UK now, do I risk it and carry on with this unit as normal, or send it to Garmin Support for them to take a look?:huh Though the unit has just gone out of the 12 months warranty window.....

T.
  12. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Could be the screen protector shrinking.

Fred
  13. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't follow this thread closely enough to know if my "issue" has been discussed.... I have a slight issue with tracks disappearing. For example,,, the other day I was exploring an area with a bunch of logging road. Lot's of twists and turns and dead ends. When I finally turned around to head out I looked down at the unit and the track I just made disappeared while I was looking at it. Turned the unit off and on and still no track. Headed out and once in a while short sections of the track would appear and then disappear again. Once I got out to the highway the track showed up again and continued to show. I've had this happen a couple times.

Any idears???
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your track log is full. How often do you archive?

I set mine to archive automatically every day.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I'm on the road so I don't have a lot of time for testing but it appears that v5.20 has broken more than it fixed - assuming there were any "fixes" attempted. Truth be known, I have been waiting for the Icelandic Keyboard.

Missing info: Automotive Turn info on both the nuvi Dashboard and Data Fields.

I think we may be in the "coding shadow" of the Monterra....:evil

Let the sarcasm rain down....
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Color me surprised........................................................................... not. :twitch:bluduh
  17. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those Garmin guys are laughing all the way to the bank with OUR money.

Sure wish somebody would put the guts of my 76 behind the screen the size my Montana.
  18. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Known bug around here. It happens when the log gets close to full. Powering the unit off and on will bring them back....
  19. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in navigation mode on a major highway in Saskatchewan & coming off one hwy onto another (hwy 16) & Karen said 'Navigate Off Road' which was the exit ramp from highway I was on to the hwy 16. When I got to this Exit ramp the Montana crashed...powered it back on & I was back in navigation mode.
    I had had this happen 3 days before but not the same situation.

I had created the routes using the new BC Trip Planner, I am also running the latest firmware, & BC version.
    Another thing I noticed is that on selecting one of these routes, the Montana seems to take a lot longer till it shows the GO button, Anyone else notice this?
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am missing the same data fields as you in v 5.10! I have sent my report to Garmin, but I fear the Montana is quickly falling to Oregon x00 status with the Monterra release fast approaching...