Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the screen I had on my xr650l from maier was not so great, due mostly to the mounting hardware. No angle adjustment on the arms where they attach to the screen... I'd go a different route

[​IMG]
  2. Jerry Withajay

Jerry Withajay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this the maier shield with different mounting hardware?

3. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this only uses the handlebar clamps from the maier screen, the rest of the hardware is from memphis shades and the screen itself is a BMW 650 dakar screen with some custom cuts made...

Skip the maier, mine cracked after a year
  4. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...another good screen is the KTM 690 which you can screw right onto the number plate. Works surprisingly well at all speeds and looks good too.

[​IMG]
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

That is what I would say. You checked the valves 20k miles early, why? At 4k miles checking my valves would be the last thing on my mind. No way I'd waste my time/money trying to mess with the clearances at this time given your measurements. Just ride it.
  6. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't mess with success. If it ain't broke don't fix it:D
  7. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    It didn't cost me any money, and since we're still snowed in here, I've got plenty of time. Better to spend an evening checking the valves than sitting on the couch watching TV. I personally think a 26k mile valve check interval is ludicrous, but what do I know. :dunno
  8. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"I just checked the valve clearances on my 08 WR with 4000 miles on it.."
    >"Don't mess with success. If it ain't broke don't fix it:d"

Checked my valves at 12k. Intakes were right on the minimum side of adjustment, exhausts were a bit under the minimum. I bought a hot shims kit and set both of the valve sets to 'medium' range.

Interesting stuff. Mid range torque is way up, but the bike now needs a bit of 'warm up', won't run properly when cold.

Note 1: The hot shims kit requires measurements on the shims. Frankly, I'm not sure why they really bother to put thicknesses on their shims.

Note 2: Buy a metric caliper. ($9 version from HF works fine for me).

Note 3: Tried an alternative method for releasing cam chain tensioner on re-assembly (listed here I think). At any rate, I gave up after an hour. Brought son into the garage, had him hold the cam chain on the sprockets, rotated engine and the chain tensioner released.

Note 4: Buy a new rocker arm cover gasket. Had to fiddle with mine (old one) 3 times to get it to stop leaking.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Why would Yamaha put that interval on many of the bikes they make if it was not backed up by reason? Not trying to be critical but there seems to be a lot of oversensitivity when it comes to valve clearances.
  10. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    I don't believe everything I read :deal
  11. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    I don't either. Manufacturer's valve check guidelines are suggested not written in stone:huh. The actual time/mileage you'll need the valves adjusted at vary for each bike's use, terrain/environment ridden, production tolerances on parts, and how and who assembled your individual bike(and other variables). Bike manufacturers give you what they expect(averages) they can economically warranty(bean counters/lawyers):deal IMO:evil

But if you do decided to do one; do all and set all to max tolerance(I follow BigDog's method
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/WR250R.htm)Then you can be set/forget for awhile.
  13. ggemelos

ggemelos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at getting a Wolfman tank bag and was wondering if anyone has feedback on fitting the larger tanks bags on the WRR. In particular, I am thinking of the Large Expedition of the Explorer Lite. I searched and found a few posts of people with the explorer lite, but no pics. Do these bags fit on the bike? Any first hand experience or pics would be appreciated. It is makes a difference, I have a Safari tank on my bike. Thanks.
  14. Jerry Withajay

Jerry Withajay Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Then buy a KTM.:deal

:lol3

Sounds like you just want to get them to the other end of the spectrum, CJ. No harm in that. And like you say, you're already there. You know if you don't you'll kick yourself.
  16. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I will, but first I have to fix the WR up for the next owner, as MZ says. :lol3

Yep, might as well. Ordered a FSM so I can do the job right. I think I'll be swapping shims this weekend!
  18. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    I got one of the Large Expeditions and it's a nice bag, but it's huge! I've not used it on the WR though so no pictures (I used it on my KLR). It is waterproof which is nice, but I gotta think it would be in the way. I have a Giant Loop fandango on my WR and it's about half the size, and just barely "out of the way". Kinda wish the Expedition had some quicker pocket access as well. There's no getting in the bag while on the move with the configuration it is (Buckles and internal "skirt"). If you sit down most of the time and want to haul a lot of gear, in adverse weather it's a good choice. Personally I like the Giant Loop much better.
  19. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My dealer said Monday that it will be "sometime in March" when my 2013 arrives.

The waiting is killing me.

Tell me it's gonna be worth it . . .

20. bogboy

bogboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WTF ,That would be my last concern. I'm enjoying farkling. This bike is bombproof