Route suggestions Maggie Valley NC to Cocoa FLA

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Motoranch, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Motoranch

Motoranch Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Heading from Maggie Valley NC to Cocoa Beach Florida in July. Thinking 441 thru Georgia to Lake City Florida then Hwy. 100 to the coast. Or 129 to Russell Scenic Hwy to 129 and pickup 441 in Athens. Anybody have any suggestions? On big bikes but NO super slab.
  2. RBrider

RBrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got place in Topton/Nantahala (South of MV) and in Grant/Valkaria (south of CB)

I like to take 441 south thru Clayton Ga to the Ga route 17 bypass at Toccoa, take 17 south to Wrens Ga. At Wrens, Go south on US 1 to Baxley Ga.
    At Baxley, take Ga 15 south till it runs back into US 1. (By using 15, you avoid all the traffic lights and congestion of Waycross). Continue south on US 1 to 295 at Jacksonville. From there I just use I 95, but you can figure out other options.

From Topton/Nantahala to the Florida line is about 400 mi. I've ridden it on bikes and car/pickup. It's my favorite way to go, assuming there's no unusual problems on the way.

RB
  3. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    You can run 215 or 281 down and then head towards Toccoa/Athens and pick up the previous route along the way. 215 is one of my favorite roads.
  4. RBrider

RBrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The route I laid out is a 600 + mi day, 11 or 12 hours if you don't screw around too much. 215 & 281 are excellent, but if you're doing MV to CB in one day, those routes will add time to an already long day.

RB
  5. Motoranch

Motoranch Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Thanks for suggestions. Giving us 2 days for MV to CB, wives riding with us. Looking at 215,281 to athens or 28 ,Russell scenic hwy (348) ,129 to athens Leaning towards 215 route. Thinking layover in Dublin GA
  6. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    Atlanta's sprawl goes north almost to Dahlonega to Gainesville and to Athens. Get anywhere close to that area and it is a time killer, not that small towns aren't.

441 is pretty much a 4 lane highway now all the way down to Athens and beyond.

I would probably run the Parkway to 215 to64 to 281 to 107 connector to 107 to 28.

From there just network the smaller highways south, maybe pick up 17 in Lavonia. The corridor along the Savannah river basin is nice rural roads although I don't go that way often. I tend to stay in the mountains.