Fall Colors Ride Oct 2013

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by GillaFunk, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

fixied... just because. :1drink
  2. tuna101

tuna101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hurry up I'm running out of pop corn.:lurk:lurk:lurk
  3. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    Cork suckers:

So, first of all, quit yer bitchin'

ITSATDM is doing a lot of the leg work here as he is a mountain man up in the area. Apparently the USFS is closing down their campgrounds in early October, so that limits our options between over priced state campgrounds and the private ones.

Also, with the fire burning up in the mountains the area is a bit crazy right now.

This event is still happening. If its too hard to commit the weekend to a motorbike camp/ride you don't have to come. Sheesh!
  4. dantroop

dantroop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn! Just my luck. Conflicting schedules.

I'm gonna be somewhere other than the sierras at some time in the fall! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are the issues. The 3rd week end of October (19/26) would be best for the Fall Colors. According to the Stanislaus National Forest they will be closing the Campgrounds on 10/12. Closing means the gates or if they don't have one, turning off the water and locking the bathrooms.

I am pretty sure the Inyo National forest that covers 108 to past Lee Vining do the same. I was in one last year and It closed 10-9.

Ditto Yosemite.

I am trying to find something near a town and not at high altitude, it gets cold. Not everyone wants to roughs it.

There are some unimproved campgrounds, some on unimproved roads. Not every one is comfortable with that.

I know of 3 on 108 that you can get access too, but unless Kennedy Meadows is still fully open, it is a long way to breakfast.

If some one knows of a site that meets the criteria speak up, we will go there.

I like Grover Hot Springs and really don't mind paying the hefty camping fee, we can always split them. I don't like the 2 vehicles per site that forces us to purchase more of them. Big Trees is rather forgiving of that. I wonder what they would say if brought a trailer and everyone parked on that.:deal

Sometime in the next month I plan to check with Kennedy Meadows for a closing date and see what Grover Hot Springs has to say. They have limited camping at Benton Hot Springs. Anyone camped there?
  6. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the deal with the BLM or county campground on the reservoir near Markleeville? I think its called Indian Creek Reservoir.. Is that open thru October? Its low enough elevation to satisfy us and near a town for food. It also has a reasonably priced group site but vehicles are all parked in the open lot, not at the individual tent pads. Personally that doesn't bother me since the campground is 5 miles off the main road.
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to look into that, but based on when they closed last year it was the same deal. They both closed either the first or second week of October.
  8. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

Personally I won't spend money at places that have stupid rules or people that look after them. The "2 vehicle" thing is nothing more than a desperate grab for money and... ok, enough of that.

Gary, from what I've seen most of the folks that attend this thing are capable of taking care of their own food needs and don't really need restaurants near by to rely on. Pick a spot that works for the name of this shindig and run with it. They who will, will come.

That said, it doesn't look good for me getting a way to anywhere for the rest of the year. :waysad

So ya all have fun. :freaky
  9. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Hater....:cry

:lol3

:freaky
  10. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Although, high altitude, there is camping on the road to Highland lakes just west of ebbets pass on Hwy 4. There is also camping at Highland lakes.
  11. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Indian Springs is a pretty nice place. Showers are free and the place is clean. Camp sites are spread out and they have a nice pad for tent campers (it's sand). Compared to the state parks, IS is a luxurious spot for half the price.
  12. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is Indian Springs?
  13. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    Agreed on both accounts.

The way my foot is healing and the amount of swelling still going I'm not sure I'll even be able to ride up to this anyways....so it wont matter to me.

I don't mind being a support vehicle by bringing up cooking / food supplies / cooler if we rough it a bit. :D
  14. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is harder than I thought. The Campgrounds around Bridgeport will be closed by 10-20 except for the Crag cg which is in the middle of a sage flat.

All the FS cg are run by concessionaires with a profit motive. They may or may not be open no matter what the FS says. I would hate to pick one and then find it closed. Green springs creek may be open, but it is at the end an 11 mile dirt road. It will be in middle of your Fall Colors, It is best to check with the people running them. that will take some time.

On hwy 4 out of Markleville there is a county own campground and a BLM campground. Maybe I can cajole one of them. The BLM cg may be ok for disbursement camping even if closed, with Grover Hot Springs as a fall back.

I will be doing some riding and fishing up there, I will find something.
  15. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    Not a big worry, Gary.

It will work out.

Those who know how these events pan out are well aware of how the event develops.

Worse case scenario, we can head north again.:D
  16. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    On top of everything else, I got find one that is handicapped accessible.:baldy
  17. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I'm going to go up to Laguna and ride/camp that weekend.

:hide
  18. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    I actually might be able to make this :hide
    perhaps I jinxed myself. :dunno
    Will get some new front rubber and should be set.
  19. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    Dont worry. We can share.

You were never invited up here anyways. :lol3

:clap
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :bluduh

:fitz

Too bad you're not doing it a bit further south where it wouldn't take me an entire day just to get there.... :hide