Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    I haven't really encountered this. I think the majority of drivers here recognize the trade-offs between two and four wheels and don't begrudge riders the ability to filter through. At a reasonable pace. I've watched folks split lanes at higher speeds than what I've always been taught was the upper limit of reasonable. And don't really notice an increase in hostility toward the rider.
    I mean, suppose I come to a red, filter to the front and still manage to get caught at the next red. Do folks get beside me and push the issue? I've left room before just to see what would happen. What typically happens is nothing. They pull in behind. Of course when I leave a light after filtering, I find that it's incumbent upon me to get up and out of the way.
  3. wombatpegger

wombatpegger Rednecktechnicin'

Oddometer:
    I live and ride in the SF Bay area and the biggest plus to having a bike is definitely the lane splitting. Without it there would be little reason to use a bike around here as the traffic can be horrible. I routinely commute over the Bay bridge and through packed city streets lane splitting all the way. I've even split lanes at 80mph from Nixon, NV to Davis, CA when it was bumper to bumper after Buringman. Was it safe? Are you kidding? Nothing is safe on a bike period. It's not even safe trying to come to a stop at a light with no one around. However I was familiar with the roads, traffic was behaving predictably, there was plenty of room and, critically, I was within 5-10mph of the flow of traffic. Yeah, it was stoopid going that fast and lane splitting as I wouldn't have time to react if something unpredictable happened.

Away from that more extreme case, lane splitting is one of those things in life that seems incredibly dangerous and scary, but is no more dangerous or scary than riding generally is. In the Bay Area you could get nailed any time, anywhere and it will almost always be a case of "I didn't even see them." Why put up with terrible traffic and insane drivers any more than you have to?

Just stay within 15mp of the speed of traffic, stay away from the extreme right or left lanes, be courteous and use common sense. Of the handful of incidents I have had on a bike one involved lane splitting the others were all with little or no traffic and people just being unpredictable. People just don't look. If you are only going slightly faster than traffic then you increase your chances of being able to respond to weird circumstances and you can brake faster than they do so it helps even out the danger factor.

If anything lane splitting just demands much more focus and concentration from the rider. I often enter a zen like state while 'splitting. You can't fear or freeze up or day dream and thus are generally more aware of your surroundings.

As for drivers being afraid of motorcycles, pardon me but screw 'em! Most auto & truck driveers have no idea what it's liek to be on a bike, because if they did they would understand about lane splitting and for that matter would do the most basic head check everytime they change lanes. Usually people get scared after you have gone by because they don't see you coming, because they're not checking mirrors or looking. Close calls happen to bikers every time they get on a bike lane splitting or no and if you or they are afraid of coming close to having an accident then you should all get off the road.

I think that bikes should legally be able to lane split and the choice to do it or not left to the individual rider. I know plenty of bikers who refuse to lane split out of fear. Hell it's scary seeing cars and trucks inches from your bars and mirrors. Then I also know plenty who do it and aren't bothered at all.

So like many things the law should allow people to make up their own minds. Let the bikes go through, maybe it will be more incentive for drivers to leave their safe four+ doors and get on 2 wheels.

That's way more than 2 cents, but it's a great topic.

-wombatpegger
  4. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    As others have probably already said (I would know if I took the time to read the entire thread), it's liable to become safer over time, as the average size of cars gets smaller.
  5. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. Leave it for the Californians. There used to crazy shit. Seems nuts to me. Maybe those stuck in traffic ought to get out of town for some real riding.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're.
  7. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Maybe those stuck in traffic have miles and miles to go before they "get out of town".:D
  8. jfurf

jfurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lane splitting isn't real riding? hahahahahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQvcZlo2yo

:deal
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl That was fun as hell. DO IT AGAIN DO IT AGAIN. :clap

I'm gonna go watch it on the big screen. :D
  10. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    That was a lot of impressionable young minds in all those school buses.:clap
  11. VFR_firefly

VFR_firefly Buh Bye!

Oddometer:
    Whoa.

FN whoa!
  12. jfurf

jfurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    SHHHHH you are spoiling all the fun. :ddog

I was looking forward to all the timid riders to post up with their crazy motorcycles are dangerous whining.
  14. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    :thwak My bad

Okay nuke'em
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Secretblend

Secretblend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an interesting thread to read. I don't know if I could lane split or not. I can see too many things to go wrong with lane splitting which would make it difficult for me to lane split. I do have one question, there have been several "LEO" said, what does that stand for?

Sorry if should be obvious but I am new to this.
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Law
    Enforcement
    Officer
  18. VFR_firefly

VFR_firefly Buh Bye!

Oddometer:
    LEO is a lion.
  19. Human Ills

Human Ills Useful Idiom

Oddometer:
    Proud creature.
  20. VFR_firefly

VFR_firefly Buh Bye!

Oddometer:
    I like to hunt lions. They are a real challenge.