Malfunctioning F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MotoLara, Jan 10, 2011.

1. MotoLara

MotoLara ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer:
    We are currently in Trujillo, Peru having trouble with both of our F800GSs. We were driving on the highway and both our bikes felt underpowered. There was also a weird ticking noise on hard throttle openings (like passing a truck). We had recently filled up with gas in a small town so we thought that maybe the gas was bad. We were in the middle of the desert so we put our spare (presumably good) gas into the tanks to try and dilute the bad gas. This seemed to improve the situation a bit but it did not fix it. We got the bikes to a safe location where we are currently staying.

the bikes sound terrible and now stall or have troubles starting. We checked the air filter and in the compartment there was a bit of oil. We cleaned that up and replaced the air filter. the bikes still sound terrible and the oil has returned after taking the bike for a short spin.

As far as we know there is no BMW dealer in Peru and we are worried about driving our bikes anywhere and doing further damage. We are also worried about letting some random mechanic here start stripping the bikes if the problem runs deep. No warning lights are on and both bikes are acting up in similar ways. Any ideas?

Summary of issues:
    Underpowered
    Oil in air box
    difficult to start
    stalling
    Generally sounding like sh*t
  2. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Shitty fuel.
  3. BC Brian

BC Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, sounds like bad fuel. Seeing as its both bikes........
    before you have anyone pull the bikes apart, drain the tanks and put in fresh fuel. Will most likely solve your problems
  4. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    If this is happening exactly the same to two separate bikes, then I agree - bad gas. Drain the tank completely and replace gas from different source would be a guess.

The odds of two bikes having the same failure without outside influence are slim.... I'm sure you know that.

what's your altitude?

I'm going to a good BMW dealer first thing AM anyways, and will show a tech your post... will see what they say and let you know.
  5. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, try to find a fuel injection system cleaner such as Seafoam or Techron. If Trujillo is a big enough city, you ought to be able to find something.
  6. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fuel two bikes at the same time. I agree with everyone drain the fuel tanks and put in good gas.
  7. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I'm not one to attribute every mechanical malady to bad gas, but it sure sounds like you got a batch if it happened soon after a fill-up and both bikes have similar symptoms. The culprit could be water or low octane fuel (pinging might be what you're hearing on hard throttle) or something other than gasoline came along in your last fill-up. My guess is that your 'fuel' was diluted/contaminated with something cheaper. Since you're near sea level the bikes will want high-octane fuel to prevent pinging.

Your best bet is to empty the tanks and re-fill with the best available fuel. I'd do one bike at a time in case the local gas is worse, but you're in a large city, so good gas shouldn't be hard to find. I can't explain the oil in the air filter, unless it's been regurgitated from the crankcase by the poor running engines. I don't know the GS8 configuration that well, but my former KLRs and my DR-Z pass oil fumes into the airbox to be burned, and if something's amiss I've found oil in there.

Next, find all the auto parts stores you can and look for Seafoam. Their website doesn't list dealers in South America, but Pep Boys, Kragen/O'reilly, Ace Hardware, Checkers, CarQuest and Napa all carry it in the US. Get a couple cans for each bike and dose regularly to keep problems at bay.

HTH and good luck. Remember...it's all part of the adventure :D
  8. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And if it ain't the gas...try the Peru dealer :evil

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com.pe/lam/es/index.html

BMW Motorrad PerĂº

Automotores Gildemeister PerĂº S.A.

DirecciĂ³n: Javier Prado este 5535 La Molina, Lima
    Ciudad: Lima
    Teléfono central: (511) 617 9750
    Fax:(511) 617-7777
  9. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    My vote is on low octane. If it were debris or gunking, it would be a hell of a coincidence for it to affect both bikes simultaneously. Water, which sits at the bottom of the tank, gives you an instant (and most likely permanent) engine stall.

Although I love my 800, a bike with a thirst for 95RON (or 91 if you had the dealer adjust it for that) can be a liability in the second and third world, where fuel is often considerably lower than that.

Low octane gives you funny noises under load (pinging / detonation), shit power, and the engine will struggle so much to adjust the ratio right you'll get either massive exhaust overheat or thick palls of smoke out the back (depending which way it goes with mixture to try and compensate).
  10. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    Why would there be oil in the airboxes though?
  11. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not 100% sure but I would think that the F8 has a similar scavenging/PCV circuit as any modern, emissions regulated motor does.

I'm working overseas right now so I can't check mine, but I would bet that (to differing degrees of course) most F8's will have some sort of oil residue in the airbox.

I'd be more worried about fixing the sputtering and stalling first, then keep an eye on the oil levels after it was running correctly.

Hope you get it sorted out - my money is on bad fuel as well.

Just my $0.02.
  12. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trujillio is at sea level.

^^^^ + 1 on that. Drain the tanks, refill, add octain boost.
  13. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    Pre ignition can cause exsive oil in the air box caused by low octane fuel on heavy loads.
  14. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    Thanks to every one for your input. We'll now drain our tanks, put 97 octane gas in one of the bikes than put a octane booster and a injector's cleaner.

Will report back witht the results. Keep the advice coming in the meantime.

One thing that I forgot to mention is the oil leaking/running down most likely coming from the air-filter chamber's draining hose (usually used for letting fumes scape, i'm guessing?). This is happening to both bikes.

The 'metal' pounding noise coming from the bottom part of the engines, where the letters 'BMW' are (bellow the twin cylinders) on the left side (chain and sprockets side).

Cheers guys,
    Alberto.
  15. switch

switch Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer:
    Noise = pinging. Caused by bad fuel and high load.
    Problem cause = bad gas.
    Solution = drain + put in good gas + injector cleaner.

97+octane booster isn't a bit of overkill? :)
  16. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, i would say so too, but I bet you the last tank of gas read the same "Super Unleaded 97oct" :norton

My F650gsT works well with our 92oct here in Mexico, and not so well with the 87octane. My S10 that requires 97oct or higher knocks like crazy depending on the gas station/area I am in with 92oct. All the pumps read " 87octane or 92octane." but I bet you it is more in the grade of 81oct 87oct, or lower..... It is always a good thing to bring along a small can of octane in case you hear the knockin' after a fill up, the pumps do shown octane rating but do subtract -5, sometimes -10 for a more accurate reading :lol2

[​IMG]

You will find BMW in Lima, not close, but not terribly far just in case (hopefully NOT the case)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The only info I could find for you:<o:p></o:p>
    GILDEMEISTER PERU, primarily a car sales Company but now carry BMW Motorrad.<o:p></o:p>
    With a map:<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.creditosperu.com.pe/pp-automotores-gildemeister-peru-s-a.php <o:p></o:p>
    One of the many articles online:<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.peru.com/economiayfinanzas/portada20100416/91805/Se-comercializan-por-primera-vez-motos-de-lujo-BMW-en-Peru-

http://biznews.pe/noticias-empresariales-nacionales/motos-lujo-bmw-ya-comercializan-en-el-peru

Automotores Gildemeister PerĂº S.A. Javier Prado este 5535 La Molina , Lima<o:p></o:p>
    +511 617-9750<o:p></o:p>
    ddelapiedra@agildemeister.com.pe <o:p></o:p>
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com.pe <o:p></o:p>
    Hopefully you are up and running already and will not be needing the above
  17. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the help/input/advice.

We drained the tanks. They are now both filled with 98 Repsol gas and each one has injector cleaner inside. We took them for a spin (without any luggage) and they feel better but not 100%. More power, less stalling.... so we are going in the right direction. With a few more tanks of good gas hopefully we'll be right as rain.
    :clap

For the record both the bikes were programmed for lower octane fuel before leave for the trip. But as lots of people have pointed out you can never be too sure what you are getting from the pump.
  18. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that things are sorting themselves out. Hope to see you guys soon. :norton
    Daryll
  19. yns

yns cretan inside

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that. Keep rockin'!! :ricky
  20. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that if you change something that affects the engine management it takes it about a tank of fuel before it sorts it out, so perhaps it will get better after the first full tank. :D