KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    that tan is sharp on the gen. 1 :deal
  2. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the tan. Still kicking around doing mine. I even bought the paint last winter but wasn't allowed to spray paint in the living room. Darn women just don't understand. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  3. _ransom_

_ransom_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tan looks really good.
  4. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. It's Rustoleum Dark Almond Satin if you want to emulate it. I was going to do green but when I was looking at paints the tan just clicked for me.

The wheat whacker mod definitely made a difference. I know have to keep the visor slightly cracked to keep it from fogging in the cold morning air. The air goes just over the top of the helmet. I'm 5'9" and I wound up with just over a 1.75" gap at the rear of the cuts. I think I'll try to make a small dash now across the fairing to mount a clock and thermometer to.
  5. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, bags are Ortlieb's and tank bag is an RKA http://www.rka-luggage.com/ Both of which I purchased in mid/late 90's and both have been to hell and back a few times. Perfect for an old ugly KLR!

Steering is quicker as the front tire is smaller as well as having a taller 150 rear. Pretty easy to scrap pegs but if you get too aggressive the frame just twists up...typical of early 80's frame designs.

This KLR was simply a project bike and no intentions of keeping it. Turns out I like the stupid thing...:clap
  6. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:

Nice paint job! Looks very sleek!

Can you take a shot or two of the front fender mod please and thank you!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    My 88 was the lighter tan color. I like your color combo better. Like the xj too.:deal
  8. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    I ordered a 16tooth drive gear that I'll hopefully be able to get on this weekend. What kind of rpm should I be expecting at 75?

Anybody running a 685 kit? I'm wondering if the 685 kit plus K&N filter, exhaust, and proper tuning will allow the bike to pull as well or better with the 16 tooth gear as it does stock. Or if you could even go up to a 17 (or the 16 and then lose 2 teeth on the rear) without it being slower than stock.

My Offroad use is dirt county roads so I'm more concerned with on road and highway Performance. I don't want it to be any slower accelerating than stock either though. I'm not looking to make it faster, just drop rpm at 75 w/o losing the acceleration it does have.
  9. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending upon the tires (indicated speed off the front and rpm off the back), expect about a 250 rpm drop with the 16 tooth. Apart from the intial takeoff, you will not have any issues an dit takes the buzz out of cruising.

Forget the K&N filter and exhaust - the 685 will pull better than and with stock parts.

Cary suggested stock jetting with the 685 too - he was correct. I tried the KLx needle, drilled slide and jets. All it did was use more gas. I reverted back to stock settings. I have 40K miles on the 685 with 16t - very happy.
  10. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Cool man, thanks. Part of my reason for wanting a different exhaust is to lose the chirping/squeaking mine makes. Like I said, I'm not trying to make this thing a hot-rod. Its a "slow" bike and that's fine, I just want to be able to hold higher speeds without feeling like the engine is going to come apart. I don't hit the interstate much, but the main highway going into town is still 65mph posted and if you're not doing 75 you're liable to get ran off the road.
  11. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Google "detweet klr650" and you will find it's super easy to fix the noise.
  12. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    A real KLR Adventurer.
  13. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    Eagle Mike 685 kit or 692 kit? Basically the same price so should I just go for the bigger one when I order this in a few months?
  14. Airjunky

Airjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't that be in the WTF thread??

-Bill
  15. jeepsandbikes

jeepsandbikes loneadventurer

Oddometer:
    x2
  16. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    agreed lol
  17. M-Cat

M-Cat 2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking TOA....
  18. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's coming out with new kits now...692 and 719 being the first two. These new kits are way better engineered over previous versions. Not sure if previous kits will see the same upgrades. Email to Mike directly should help with your decision.
  19. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. DutchVDub

Oddometer:
    I saw the 719 kit too, but he doesn't offer a cylinder exchange on it and it seems like the 705 kits out there already, where there is a lot more work involved in doing the kit.