KTM LC4 quick broke clutch cable fix...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Colemanfu, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it's the hills or just a yearly fix but for the 3rd year in a row that my clutch cable has let go on my trip to the MT's. I only get up there 2 times a year so I want to make the most of the trip. 1st time I parked the bike, 2nd had some rig with a screw 3rd no worries. I have got pretty good about making a road fix to get home but this time I did not let it spoil the fun. Had 2 full day left when it broke and rode with this fix - no problem. Held like a champ. I wonder if there is anything stronger than stock? I'll let the pix do the talking - I added the TY strap to hold the vice grips back and keep the cable in the stock slot.

Ouch - that looks like another broken clutch cable!
  2. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    That thing looks broke - time to fix her up! You can see that I removed the boot and the stock adjustable spacer. That gives the length to grap the cable.
  3. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Fix held like a champ and lasted for 2 more days in the hills. I ran the TY strap through the vice grips so I they did come loose I would not loose them. It also pulled every thing back and out of the way.
  4. Airhead

Airhead More human than human

Oddometer:
    Nice! Nothing like fixing something yourself with just what you have on hand. Makes the riding even more rewarding...

:thumb
  5. GT-STMC

GT-STMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea, thanks.
    I've had mine break twice 30+ miles from home and just rode back trying to never stop....., a real pain going through tolls and international customs. I'll start carrying something small that I can clamp onto the cable now as well. Vice grips worked, but there'll be something smaller, even a 1/2 in bolt, 2 washers and a nut should do it.
  6. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
  7. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Nice fix! Can't say I'd have come up with that one.

I run an extra cable right along side the cable in use, just in case. Also I shim the clutch cable about an inch away from my bars with a zip-tie and a piece of fuel line. It really helps against breakage. I find that they break a lot more often if they don't come srtaight out of the perch for a few inches or more.
    [​IMG]
  8. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having recently broken a clutch cable on a T-610 (4800miles) I thought I would bump this thread for the Husky Index. The tip on using a zip tie and fuel line is a good idea.
    I will be routing a spare cable so as to avoid the same hassle again... Also being a Noob I didn't know I needed to lube the slot where the cables end sits in the lever, but I do now :lol3...also for those new Husky owners make sure you re-route the cable under the bar between the clamps if your dealer did not.

[​IMG]
  9. FBOMB

FBOMB Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    It's always best if heading into remote areas to have a spare cable zip tied in place on the existing cable. doG have mercy on those with hydraulic clutches.

Another thing to do is head down to a bicycle shop and get a generic cable and a universal end that'll work with your clutch pull on the cases. As long as you haven't wiped out the sheath around the cable (like I did recently in Mexico), the bicycle cable will get you out of a shitty situation. It packs tiny and is easy to install on the trail.

Riding without a brake is a piece of cake compared to trying to ride with no clutch.
  11. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    yet another reason to keep cable clutch and ban conversion... my hydraulic exc let me down last weekend when it bled down... on the 640a i coulda just flipped to my spare cable already in place!