Honda CR500 thread! (CR500R, CR480R & CR500AF)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TheBestOfBothWorlds, Jan 9, 2010.

1. TheBestOfBothWorlds

TheBestOfBothWorlds Usually offline & riding!

Oddometer:
    This is the place for anything & everything relating to the legendary Honda CR500 CR480 & CR500AF...

[​IMG]

Some helpful links:
    http://www.CR500riders.com
    http://www.bannedCR500riders.com
    http://www.servicehonda.com

Now for my post...

The Keihin 39mm PWK carb has long been the upgrade-of-choice for the Honda CR500R. My question is, has anyone here installed the new ESR (Eddie Sanders Racing) 40.5mm carb? http://www.eddie-sanders-racing.com/oscmax/product_info.php?cPath=57_58_17&products_id=27

IMHO this is THE BEST CR500 carbie!!!

Any experts, please share your jetting settings... Main/pilot/needle/altitude/temp? :deal
  2. r00t4rd3d

r00t4rd3d ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    This is not my bike but one I found on the net. This thing looks crazy ! WTH are you suppose to do with a 500 2-stroke ?

[​IMG]
  3. TheBestOfBothWorlds

TheBestOfBothWorlds Usually offline & riding!

Oddometer:
    If you wanna see something REALLY CRAZY, Trick Racing is making a 200+ horsepower TWIN CR500 CR1000 motor...

http://www.trickracing1.com/Twin_CR500.html

[​IMG]
    RebelYell likes this.
  4. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    There is a motarded CR500 around here.

I watched him wheelie up hill past a local lookout the other day....

:lol3

:clap
  5. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    :thumb to the thread.

Now I am really :tb
  6. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned two of them. Way overrated imho. Fragile motors (stock pistons made of glass I think), narrow rev range (in stock form), only about 5-8hp more than a CR250R but vastly worse handling. Good fun in dunes though. The '90 is my favorite year - not so flexy as the later models and a bit more revvy motor.

Getting 200hp out of the twin version wouldn't be easy. They make about 55hp stock (single cylinder). I think 65hp wouldn't be hard to get with porting and perhaps exhaust but past that will take real work.

I haven't tried the larger carb. For my purposes the stocker made enough power. Probably better to spend your $$ improving the chassis and suspension unless you are doing sand drags or something.

I don't think I still have my jetting specs, but the porting changed a lot in the first 7 years of production and a bit after that - enough so that jetting will differ from year to year. Things like how tightly the silencer is packed not to mention modifications can make a big difference too. Bottom line a jetting database isn't going to be a whole lot of help. If you need rough baseline numbers I found those in the honda manual to be quite good on the stock bike. Where the jetting database would be helpful would be for jetting the aftermarket carbs I think.

You might even look into running an FCR - other than the cost (and with ebay that's not so bad) I don't see why they wouldn't work fine on two strokes. Better yet, figure out how to fit the 50mm tb and fi system from the crf450;)
  7. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    There's a crap load of 500 threads on supermotojunkie.Bunch of guys think it would make a killer street tard. Look here at the tranny thread for that engine. Why in the world Honda put such a narrow gear set in a big engine?

I'd still love to try one just because of all my teenage lust. My 380 vibed and was hard enough to kick to give an idea of things with a 500.
  8. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i had a 81 465 and that thing was fast, rode a 94 cr500 once ,scary.
  9. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    I still have my '90 CR500, bought it new that same year. I still think it's one of the most exciting bikes to ride. Stock output of my '90 is a claimed 60hp although I've never dyno'd it. However, I do find it easy to believe. The front end on mine works terrible going down hill but it's still the fastest thing in a straight line and king of the big air. Although as I get older I find that I don't jump quite as high or as far.

I have a customer who used to use his for ice racing in Alaska. I can't think of anything more spaztic on the ice than the big CR.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I like the CR500 but I think it needs some flywheel weight for the woods. This guys video shows it pretty well compared to an XRR. The CR's powerband hits hard! Definately bred for WFO use, wish I had the skillz to ride one that way :lol3.

The power hit reminds me of an old TM400 Suzuki.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqEJxxpepFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OqEJxxpepFU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  11. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    This time of year? Easy!

[​IMG]
  12. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I trail rode a 1995 CR500 for one year. Way too much bike in my opinion for the tight SW PA trails. I doubt I would ever own another 500 two stroke unless I moved out of this area.
  13. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    :super

[​IMG]
  14. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    I'd like to take that 1000cc twin cr500 motor and put it in a TZ250 frame. That would be a fun bike.
  15. Berm_Rooster

Berm_Rooster Airborne Dirt

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a CR500 Gnarly whic is in fairly good nic. Need to get it back up to standard and ride! cant wait.:super

Unfortunate thing is in South Africa there was never very many of these around and afterservice is quite scarce. I currently need a carb service kit and FMF header. The OEM ones all crack apparently!

My babe...

[​IMG]
  16. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    It may not be the best handling bike out there but it gets the job done! Modern MXers are made to turn very sharp = SX and in my opinion not very stable or confidence inspiring at speed.

It's too big for the woods here in FL and it's too old, '97, but it's loads of fun. I can go faster in local woods races on a KTM 200 but just barely. And with the 500 I get to clean out everyone I can see in open sections:D It's more physical to ride, however it's lighter than modern 450's :deal

I was just cleaning the carb and changing the jetting this weekend, I'd love to do the carb upgrade but it'll have to wait for my planed rebuild/ renovation.

Flywheel weight is a must for off road or hard pack tracks.

Because it's a motocross bike and with slight gearing changes it can run equally well in the woods and the dez!
  17. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Hmm you poor yanks didnt get the CR500E....yep road legal Cr500 :deal

[​IMG]
    enduro16 likes this.
  18. Lumpyboy

Lumpyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is in a 125 frame. Fun bike.
  19. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    I would kill for a plated CR500 and from the factory no less. Nice bike!
  20. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Yes it is a MX bike. If you compare the tranny to other MX bikes you'll see that it's narrower than many 250s. Stupid to do on a 500.