Baja March 2013 Trip Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DaFoole, Jul 27, 2012.

1. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Why would the publisher not simply print more Baja Almanac's since they are so coveted? Everybody wants one, nobody can buy one. Seems like a flawed business plan to not print when it seems that you could charge more and sell every last one of them because even current owners would want the latest edition. Strange. :dunno
  2. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Baja time, my man....Baja time... :jkam

:lol3
  3. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    DaFoole

this tread is soo cool, I have read it all in 1 gulp. There is very little I can add (even do I live in Ensenada)

Please keep an eye on the weather, last week (or 2) we had a snow in the Compadre trail and it was close. By March it is still winter and our time for rain, so when time come you will have to read the weather to see what it is open and check on it.

If you decide on taking the road, from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro, this section has no official Pemex station so that is over 200 miles so take notice.

Somewhere here I read that the gas stop in Puertesitos because they did not pay. Pemex stations can be own by the government or by private parties, how ever they operate under a franchise style contract were the only provider/supplier is the Government. I think this is what happened.

I will continue to check here for more things!

Damasovi
  4. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!!!! Good intel:clap
  5. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Question.... is the "Visa" and the "tourist card" one and the same?? :ear
  6. ADV Fool

ADV Fool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got it big Guy.

If your staying in Baja Norte the "Tourist Visa" is not required. If I remember correctly though, your group is headed all the way to Cabo so get it when you cross would be my recommendation.

ADV Fool
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Tourist Visa, Tourist card, FMM, all the same thing. Here is a linky:

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

BTW Baja Bound is THE best insurance company to use, you can do it all on line.

While you may never get asked to show Tourist Visa (even at the Guerrero Negro checkpoint), if you get in an accident your insurance may be invalid with out one, which alone will bring MAJOR headaches.
  8. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Got it! Thanks guys. :thumb

Gonna be ordering all the stuff through Baja Bound in the next few weeks.
  9. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it no longer the case that FMMs are required if [per Bajabound link above]

?

All of the other info I've read, including in the Moon Baja guidebook, indicates that you're technically supposed to have a FMM if you're in-country for more than 72 hours and/or if you're heading south of Maneadero, which is just south of Ensenada. Have the rules changed and does the "border zone" encompass all of BC now?

Anyway, this is a great thread for us Baja n00bs. I'm sorta thinking of heading down there for a week or 2 in October on my Wee with Anakee IIs on, which I think should get me from Puertecitos down through Coco's at least... though I'm not sure I like the looks of that deep sand pictured upthread. :eek1
  10. ADV Fool

ADV Fool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, per the above post my information is not current. Bottom line, get your FMM at the border when you cross into Mexico. Thx for the new info.
  11. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    One of the many Baja threads I perused had mention of a place to store a vehicle/trailer near Tecate...

El Cajon???

Can't remember which thread. In the event it is pissing down rain on the day of our departure we're gonna trailer down (not my 1st choice) and shoot through the border on the bikes. Anyone got info on a good/safe place to park a truck/ trailer somewhere near the border in the event we end up doing this?? :ear

Thanks!

:1drink
  12. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

Had dinner tonite in El Rosario and they had the Baja Almanac for sale at Mama Espinoza.

Also talked to a guy there that heard Coco died...:cry
  13. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope the info from coco is incorrect. DO you remeber how much the Almanac cost? I will send my people (lol) to buy me one!

Damasovi
  14. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    They were 350 pesos for the Baja almanac, they had 2 out on display.

Hoping too that the Coco news is wrong. We seen him in Dec, my brother helped him hang up his picture from his 75th b-day. He is one of a kind.
  15. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    :cry
  16. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Coco is not dead. He was up in San Felipe for some doctors visits, while in SF he was staying at Kiki's Camp as a guast of Kiki. Our Jeep/RV friends Rick and JJ sent me a picture about a week ago of Coco hanging out in their big ass RV. Coco found out they are friends with the "Loco Canejo" from Ohio and asked them to send the pic and a big Coco HOLA! I will ask if he is still in SF or back home.

[​IMG]

On the tourist Visa, Discover Baja Travel Club can process all your visa paperwork via mail so you don't have to do it at the border. They are the only place in the US authorized to do this.
  17. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    I stopped by the cafe at Laguna Chapala today. They said Coco was fine...
    Glad the guy at Mama'a was wrong.

Four days of cold, wind and rain. Heading towards Cabo to thaw out.

DaFoole will hopefully have better weather...:lol3
  18. CordR

CordR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    DaFoole,

Thanks for starting this thread. Baja has just become something on my radar as a buddy and I are talking about riding there sometime possibly in April/Maythis year.

This thread is a good condensed overview info for a first time Baja traveler.

We'll be taking bikes that are a little lighter than yours, so we'll venture a bit more into the sand.....I'm not good at sand, but I'm pretty good at falling, so that evens out nicely.

Enjoy your trip.

C
  19. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    You too! :D

Will hopefully have a report up before you leave...
  20. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Good news about Coco!! :clap

Thanks for the info on the Visa. That'll be the way to go! :thumb