Custom snub nose F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by runnin4melife, Sep 29, 2012.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no need for any particular fiber orientation in this app. Now if you were making a rear swing arm, or front triple, then we would need to pay attention to not just fiber orientation, but also a mix ow different weaves along with the 2x2. That is not to say you would not achieve about 10-20% more rigidity..... But as I am sure you have noticed, it is plenty stiff, as is....:D:D:lol3
  2. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm one of the few that like the look of the beak, but hate the hugger fender...

I was thinking a few weeks ago about swapping a KTM fender on my bike, but was unsure how I'd like the look of the beak being gone.

Even considered cutting the front of the fender down so I would just have the rear and keeping the beak.

Looking at your pics though, I think it looks pretty damn good. I may just give up the beak after all.
  3. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the build, I relocated the horn and used a piece of plate aluminum to get the KTM 690 fender as high as I could. Also you can use KX250 fork guards with some sheet metal and ingenuity. To fill the void where the beak was you can use a variety of substances. Something flat and strong works fine. Some people have used sheet metal, I just made a carbon fiber sheet. The brake lines are up to you. If you go single rotor you will have increased demand on that system if you ride with a load etc... but with maintenance that is no big deal. So far I have put 6k miles on the system since I completed the build and nothing is showing any fatigue/wear.
  4. txtallywhacker

txtallywhacker I pooped today!

Oddometer:
    i cant believe this shit is so strong it could make a swing arm. think about the forces that would exist where the shock mounts when you came down hard and bottomed out. on a rough guess how much would it weigh?
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be a special project for sure, but the weight savings would be some where along 50%, when you factor in the alloy bushings at contact points.... etc. Would be very noticeable as you are un-sprinning the motion by said fitty percent. You would need to pay extra attention to fiber selection, epoxy, and it's cure schedule, along with layup patterns,and all that jazz. Could be fun, but take a while..... Doable..... yes.
  6. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered a 690 fender yesterday. Thanks for the R&D on this. The hugger fender has been a concern of mine, and I have a big trip planned in October.

Right now I'm thinking I might try to keep the beak, use the back half of the KTM fender, and maybe utilize an extended brake line to tie up the cross over brake line out of the way.

I may end up eventually just putting the whole fender on and eliminating the beak, I dunno.
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am on the trial version of the half fender build. I already see a few changes I need to make, but I could make dublicates of the second prototype, if you are interested.:evil:evil
  8. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm always interested in your bike bling!

I'm fascinated with the CF work. I want to delve into it myself, just have to find the time and money to throw at all the materials and tools I need.

Jason
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok....as I get back home, and work on the second gen. I will post it in the build thread.
  10. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks! :clap
  11. Joseph42s

Joseph42s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1st: Amazing Build!

2nd: Whats new, where does it stand now?

3rd. Anyway to weigh your bike compared to a tourateche'd out one? I am curious of the weight savings. Besides the fact that it looks sick!
  12. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    The weight savings would probably not amount to too much plus I have added additional weight with the camel tank. Not too much has changed since my last post. I put the camel tank on, added some bar risers and fiddled with the electronics. I will probably be putting on a 18inch tubeless rear shortly. I have mostly been putting miles on the bike. :evil
  13. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
  14. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    Haven't done too much over the winter, I finally assembled everything to put my Rox Risers on top of my Scotts bracket. Since I have heard that the risers like to get a little twisted if you go down I built a CF spacer that keeps them a little more sturdy.

[​IMG]
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's at least 15 wedding rings.....:clap:clap:freaky
  16. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    Well I am not into multiple wives so it will stay as a spacer, it is solid besides the core for the bolt and the aluminum sleeve. I will be drilling/tapping out three holes to run headset screws to secure the M8 bolt as well which is hubbed to the ends of the threads in the risers. It won't be immune to flex but definitely more rigid that it was before. Plus it looks cool! Now I just need to decide when I will tear off the fairings and run a new brake line and clutch cable.....
  17. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    So I finally put my Rox Risers on last night, since I have these on top of a Scotts Damper I had to put longer clutch and brake cables to accommodate the added height. I had Motion Pro make a cable for myself and Erling since he donated one for the specs for Motion Pro and then I had spiegler make a custom brake line to go from the handlebar to the ABS interface. I also put in a new K&N airfilter. I had bought a few OEM replacements when I bought the bike and had no issue with them but like to minimalize waste so went with the K&N. All told I am very happy with the setup. It permits me to sit farther back on the Renazco seat and reduces my forward lean and makes it easier to stand up vertically.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. XRR

XRR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where did u get that small black windscreen for the F800gs?
  19. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    Message the poster as opposed to cluttering a different post: answer is that it is a cut down wind screen that was spray painted.
  20. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    Completed risers (brakes were bled today). The combo with the Scotts Damper and riser work great at least regarding my 3 beer sit on the bike in the garage test drive. I purposely extended my cables in case I decide to put on larger risers but want to test these out first.

[​IMG]