Nuvi Threadfeast - If it's Nuvi for Autos - it goes here

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by SamTheEagle, Sep 13, 2005.

1. SamTheEagle

SamTheEagle Sam the Eagle

Oddometer:
    http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/

$970

Weeeeeee.

Size of a deck of cards.
    Plays mp3s.
    Routing.
    Turn by Turn voice directions.
    Touchscreen.
    Jpeg picture viewer.
    GTM 10 FM TMC traffic receiver ... "avoid tie ups by pushing a button to calc a new route"
    Takes SD expansion cards (looks like NON garmin SD cards are finally going to work?)

Hmmm. Looks pretty cool.
    Doesn't give detail on tracklogs and on downloading pre-planned routes to the unit.

Also beware that they sell some stuff separately for this (eg, some "traveler pack" or something similar" ... which will jack up the cost).
  2. mdrsteve

mdrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Sounds absolutely perfect...if the touchscreen buttons are big enough to use with gloved hands!!! I can't wait to see one in person!!! (though I guess I have no choice but to wait 'til they come out in November.)
  3. edwyun

edwyun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    from the pic, it looks puny!
  4. MTRREF

MTRREF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, but I don't see anything about being waterproof in the specs. This unit may not meet the minimum standards for skooter compatibility.

Jim
  5. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Europe only.

Doesn't look waterproof and imo, too small to see on the bike. Hold out for the motorcycle model scheduled to be unvailed in a couple of months. :evil
  6. Mimosa

Mimosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Typical. Should have kept reading and saw that the nuvi 350 is "for US domestic market only."

-mim
  7. KevinC

KevinC Looking for the hoard

Oddometer:
    You slammed shut too soon :evil

The nüvi 300 is a 'choose your selected bits of euorpe' model but if you carry on a bit further down the page there's the nüvi 350 which has all of europe or north america.

Kevin
    djl michigan likes this.
  8. SinOfSaul

SinOfSaul Loyalist

Oddometer:
    This is aimed at travelers not specifically drivers/riders. I do like the new features that could be integrated into future models.

“Users can browse restaurant menus and reviews in the Garmin Travel Guide for a highly-recommended French bistro, and then use the nüvi’s navigation capabilities to find the restaurant. Once they’re seated, they can even use the Garmin Language Guide to order their meal in the native tongue.”

"To pass the time on those long trips, the nüvi comes equipped with an Audio Book Player, with content provided by Audible.com – featuring more than 70,000 hours of audio programs from more than 200 content partners. The nüvi also features an MP3 player that lets users browse music by artist, album, song, or genre – as well as the ability to build playlists. Loading music onto an SD card is “drag-and-drop” easy – no special software is required. Sample MP3s from AudioLunchBox.com are pre-loaded onto the unit."

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/091205.html
  9. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    THIS looks much better for about the same money you get a bigger screen, water proof and XM with weather capabilities. I'm kicking myself in the ass for my recent 2610 purchase since my Roady just crapped out :cry
  10. NJ_Bob

NJ_Bob Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stop kicking yourself and take pleasure in being able to use cheap CF cards (2G Kingston @ Fry's for $99) for memory in the 2610. New Roady's are also only $49.
  11. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any thoughts about the Garmin Nuvi?

I saw it in the inflight mag today and mp3, gps, audiobooks appeal to me for travelling (not 2 wheel) but it's awfully expensive and AFAIK, you can't download maps to it.
  12. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    My Garmin distributer buddy gave me a live demo. of this unit. It's way better than anything on the market now. The screen is really big and bright. Mapping is a 10... I wish it was waterproof and I had the gazillion bucks to buy it.

A WINNER !
  13. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where did you hear that?

QUOTE:

The nüvi 350 also comes with an A/C charger and approximately 700 MBs of internal memory for storage of supplemental maps, MP3s, and audio books (available from Audible.com).

UNQUOTE

That seems pretty clear to me....

John Davies
    Spokane WA
  14. boatworker

boatworker Slow Old Guy

Oddometer:
    I got one of these for my wife to use in her car. She is a home health nurse and drives to 3 or 4 new locations each day. It is great. Super clear screen, easy to use and lots of extra internal memory and a card slot if you need more.

Don't know if she will ever use the MP3 player or book reader, but I can see them being cool for a business traveler.

She had a C340, but it froze up and I had the extra warrenty from West Marine and they have quit carrying that model. So, they gave me the Novi as a replacement. :clap
  15. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So can you in fact download maps to it using MapSource?

John Davies
    Spokane WA
  16. boatworker

boatworker Slow Old Guy

Oddometer:
    John, I don't know. It comes preloaded and you don't get any discs. If you hook it up to a computer with the USB cable, it shows as two seperate drives. One for the extra memory in the unit itself and the other is the card slot.

There are folders in the main drive for MP3's, JPEGS and Audio book files. There is also a waypoints folder.

Actually, I just opened the Owners Manual file and it says...:deal

You can purchase additional Mapsource map data from Garmin and load the maps on your nuvi's internal memory or an optional SD card. Follow the instructions that came with the new map data to properly install the maps to your computer and nuvi. In order to enable additional maps, you need your unit ID and Serial Number.

It goes on to say that using Mapsource, you can create and save waypoints to the nuvi.

So, I guess that would be a Yes to your question.
  17. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Well, my excuse is, I need something light & portable to use in rental cars when I fly to various cities during the week. So I'm going to get a Nuvi 350.

Since it has a 4-8 hour rechargable battery life, I'm gonna try using it on weekends on the bike under the waterproof plastic clear top on my tank bag. Probably a dumb idea, but, it's helping me rationalize the purchase. You'll hear more. If it works.
  18. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just saw this on GPSNOW for 650
    Its very apealing
    The 26xx's are more money and I dont know that he 3xx's are as good

I have a VistaC now and I like it but a bigger screen and more memory are two things I wsh I had
  19. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Nuvi, and it is a great GPS, but it is NOT waterproof, so it is not suitable for bike use, nor are the 3xx series.

I have the Nuvi in the cage, and a 60CSX for use use on the bikes.
  20. Caffeind

Caffeind Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer:
    I got her the 350. It's a nice little unit for the car. We have used it for a couple of trips, and it works quite well.

Now I'm wondering about software. It didn't come with any CDs or DVDs. City Navigator North America NT is preloaded on the unit, but I'd like something I can use on my PC to plan more complex routes than here-to-there with one or two waypoints. Do I have to order the City Navigator NA NT DVD in order to do this? I guess I'm just having trouble navigating and interpereting Garmin's site, since I'm a total GPS n00b.

:confused