Barn find TY175

Discussion in 'Trials' started by JRAM, Nov 4, 2012.

1. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    It's nice to have a rolling chassis now so we can see some progress. The rear gas tank bracket was busted off, so my father came up with a good solution. A piece of aluminum with some rubber on the bottom clamping onto it.
    [​IMG]
    SSPX7614 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    SSPX7619 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

We had do some work on the case as there was some damage above the sprocket where there is a hole through to the shift drum. I was able to order a new plug from Yamaha and we will silicone it back in. There was duct tape shoved in there to stop it from leaking!!! I am amazed how many OEM parts are still available for this bike. I had to order a needle and seat for the carburetor and it was only $16. Points and condenser were only $12 from Dennis Kirk. Stator is ready to go. Next up the shift linkage needs to be addressed- it's really sloppy.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7618 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    SSPX7615 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  2. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Damn you were able to get he screws loose that hold the points plate down...had to drill mine out..replaced mine with these Allen head screws

[​IMG][/IMG]
  3. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    We have a barn find as well, but the barn didnt fall on ours, lol.

Ok, not a great joke, but the OP is making HUGE difference in what he started with, than we are.

But I thought I would put a picture up for your viewing, this is a 76 model.

[​IMG]

+2nd picture wasn't any better so remove it+

No, not for sale. Yes, dad has done quite a bit of cleaning it up, before this shot was taken a couple months ago.
  4. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Oh I've had plenty of stripped out broken bolts on this bike. We had to cut a slot in some of the case screws because they were so rounded out.
  5. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Sting32- Dang that TY is in pretty nice shape. Fresh gas and I bet it starts right up. I'm glad I've had this project to work on because winter will just not end here in Minnesota. I'm starting to get antsy for spring.
  6. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work, looks like it is really coming along.
  7. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the ty250 version but the 175? Not so good.

Dave
  8. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Dad has done a lot of cleanup work... and thanks for the compliment...
    But man, your bike is really really turning around, when I saw the rolling frame, I was like "there you go" looks pretty good!

Hows the engine coming along?
  9. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Why?

In terms of competitiveness, I've heard many folks say that they prefer the 175.

Just curious. I've ridden a 250 (briefly owned one) but never a 175.
  10. Xanthophyll

Xanthophyll Dirt Roads of MN

Oddometer:
    Wow Jeff, looks great! What progress... can't wait to see it.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both and perfer the 175, to me its much easier to ride.
  12. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    My impression is that the 175 is smaller and lighter and works better for smaller and lighter riders, a "chick bike" if you will.
    At 6'1" tall I feel like I'm on a mini bike on a 175 and can't get comfortable. The 250 fits me like a normal motorcycle.
    As flexy as the forks on my 250 are (they are larger and stronger than those of a 175) I would imagine that the 175 forks would be very noodley if the bike is ridden hard.
    Also, the 250 has no great surplus of power, so a smaller motor seems even less appealng to me.
  13. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Your impression is mostly right, kind of. but 175 (same as the older 200cc gasgas per se) have helluva more engine than 125's which you might be scheming in your head. the way we ride now (some clutching compared to no clutch back then) the 175 works fairly well and is lighter, forks are smaller, many parts are slightly smaller not just the engine. But they actually have just barely enough grunt, where 125's (IMHO) just dont.

yeah, back in 74, Bultaco and most everyone "male" had 325 cc's or more (sherpa-t 350's). I had the 123, then the 172 Montessa. 172's were RARE in USA I was told? Anyhow the're different as night ad day ride wise. And yeah most bought them for the wife, some kids had them, which also means if you find a "barn find" wife bike, it is usually damn good engine, hardly worn, unless some "dirt biker" had it last, lol.

BTW, We have a 125 Honda, that is bored and re-pistoned, which is closer to running like a 175, that is the only proof of concept I can give you, if you could come to the house today. AND because I was only somewhere between 12-16 years old when I got the 123 Montessa, then quickly moved to the 172 Montessa. Yeah, if we're big tall and have to ride Big long hill sections, like I generally see in more like like UTE cup settings back in the day, small displacement bikes would be a definite disadvantage back in the day. that is why the "most bikes" were bigger than 250's even, But, tight little sections on normal trials, like lots of us ride now, 172 or 175 could give you an advantage...

I also compare for you, we had the 02 gasgas 200 for my son, of course it was pre pro. it was like 173 or 180 cc's? I could ride it, if I had to, same with the 200 pro. they dropped the 200 (172 or something cc's for the 250 (what are they, actually 240 ish cc's?) I think. Then we got him the 125 pro (06) did everything on it the big boys were, bigger rear sproket, a part in the carb that tried to up the bottom end a little. I couldn't ride that at all, not in my "old man's" Sr expert class. I mean I could, but why would I the damn thing was ANEMIC for anyone bigger than 150 lbs, even my 17 year old >6ft tall 200 lb kid hated that thing. we put the 225 kit, it was ridable then. PS my kid was not (at the time) to blip and slip/dump clutch while it was a 125, like the better riders do or can. He still cant really. so my info is based on today's "amature class" decent rider, at max.

Anyhow, 175 or 200 however you look at it, It was 10 times the bike the 125's are. many then we got the 125 pro, for my son, I couldn't stand it, to do anything you had to clutch and wind up then drop clutch and hang on. But we put the 225 bore kit on it, it was a helluva lot better, reved quicker than a 280 though.

All the above is IMHO.
  14. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    You can later modify the 175cc TY up to 200cc, then add a more study fork from the TY Mono and last but not least use a Majesty schoolboy frame together with a about 25mm longer rear swing arm and you have a wolfe in a sheep closing ...
  15. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Yep, "wink" if you have the money, grin.
  16. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    The shift linkage was very worn due to the bushing in the cover being worn out. I found some good used parts on ebay. New shaft and roller and the piece the roller connects with on the main shift shaft. We had a machinist drill out the old bushing and make a new one. He did a great job, we decided to make it longer and eliminate the dust seal and extend it out further on the shift shaft. Hopefully this will last forever. If anyone is interested in having this done to their cover let me know.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0590 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0589 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

The oil pump was seized up so we removed it. My father made a plate to cover up the hole where it mounts. I was planning on premix anyway.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0591 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  17. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Work continues on the TY. There was a nasty hole in the magneto cover so my dad made this nice patch to cover it up.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7634 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

I painted the exhaust with some BBQ paint and repacked the silencer- looks nice now.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7636 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    SSPX7638 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

Now for the exciting news- we had it running today! Although we had some problems. We put in fresh gas, pulled the choke, and starting kicking...and kicking...and kicking. No fire- so we checked for spark and found it a little weak. We replaced the points and condenser, timed the ignition, and replaced the coil. Hmmm. Beware the cheap coils on ebay, they look good and fit nice but this one was bad. Oh well it only cost like $12. So anxious to hear it run we rigged the coil from the kids Z50 and she started right up and smoked a ton as the engine was flooded. It runs nicely but has the typical TY engine noise, I think we'll leave it for now. Almost every TY175 I have heard has that rattle type noise. Rode it for about 10 minutes to check the shifting- it's great with the sloppiness out of the linkage. Boy does this thing turn! And nice low grunt- it will lug down to almost nothing. Now to find some fenders, seat cover and rear shocks. Oh- and a new coil.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7645 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  18. kuuud

kuuud n00b

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I have been getting slowly bitten (nibbled?) by the trials bug. Rode dirt back in the day and have a few 70s dirt bikes now. As an old fart, I'd like to get back into dirt riding without worrying about high speed get-offs and the long healing process. ATGATT on the road and off!
  19. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    I rode the TY at a trials for the first time this weekend. I'm impressed with it's easy handling and turning ability.

<IFRAME height=360 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Acn_7bHEEl0" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  20. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Awesome!!! :thumb :thumb :thumb