Motorcyclist killed by texting driver...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Offcamber, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry of this is 205...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ok&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=ShareButtons

Elizabeth Haley Meyers is facing charges that could land her behind bars for the next 10 years. Accused of killing Jonathan Wesley Roberts while texting and driving in Gambrills, Md., the 20-year-old is the first person in Anne Arundel County to be charged for manslaughter while text messaging.
    Roberts, 30, was riding his motorcycle when the accident unfolded on March 10. Meyers reportedly drove her car into his path, causing him to crash into her vehicle. Prosecutors argue that the young woman was texting at the time.
  2. dom1104

dom1104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, could be worse. The last thing you ever saw could be a fat white dude with a beard.
  3. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    I hope she does get 10 years, but I'm not holding my breath. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the driver gets away with less than a year or two of jail time, if any. :cry
  4. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Santa??
  5. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    We're sorry that happened to you...
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Hope she gets the full sentence. There needs to be more precedent of conviction for this stupid behavior.
  7. flatland964

flatland964 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think we'd be making great progress if she is at least charged, regardless of the sentence. If her charge represents the beginning of a shift to charging texting drivers that cause injury with real criminal charges instead of traffic offenses, then that will be progress. People need to come to appreciate that they have others' lives in their hands when they are behind the wheel of a vehicle.
  8. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Until they stop calling it an accident, there isn't a lot we are going to get in the way of prosecution.
    The mentality is it wasn't an "on purpose" like drunk driving now is... we might get there some day.
  9. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Exactly!! These are not "accidents" in any form. The rider's presence in the event may be "accidental" timing wise. But the results of the car driver's actions are a crash pure and simple. The rider was operating on a public road in good faith that everyone on the road realizes and respects the other's on it, in shared space.

There has to be criminal realization here when the actions of people on public roads causes harm/death due to premeditated actions.
  10. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's what I pray for and hope to see this coming.

+ 100000000000∞
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk

zorroOct. 9, 2013 at 11:12am
    "So then I ask again, if she had been changing radio stations, would you send her to prison for 10 years? There are no laws against being distracted due to changing radio stations. So I guess killing a guy makes no nevermind to you unless they’re texing. Then it’s a big deal.

You can’t pass laws for everything. We have laws about being distracted, that’s all we need. The actual distraction doesn’t matter. You want to send her to prison for 10 years or give her the chair, fine. Let’s disagree about that. But the law itself it stupid."
  12. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of this crap would stop if we required all motor vehicle operators to be re-certified annually. People tend to beome overconfident, and overcomfortable, as time goes on. A "one-time-won't-do-any-harm" deviation from safe practices eventually turns into a regular habit. It's a gradual change in behavior that ends up causing many accidents.
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would rather it stays as it is than go to that extreme. :deal
  14. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:

In the uk you can be done for driving with out due care and attention
  15. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe re-certification every year is a bit over the top, but some sort of regular re-certification makes sense. I have to be re-certified every five years in order to keep my professional teaching license, and if I make a mistake in the classroom nobody is going to die (probably; I'm sure someone, somewhere, has managed to maim a child via careless mathematics instruction).