KLIM Badlands Pro

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mrt10x, Feb 20, 2011.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to simply love my aerostich roadcrafter...then I got into dual sporting. I didn't get enough movement from the RC, and I couldn't wear motocross boots. So I thought a Darien might be better suited to my needs. I wanted the most abrasion resistant fabric they had, which were the AD1 pants. But they couldn't be altered, and honestly, a Darien just doesn't fit a woman, it was like wearing a potato sack. I was happy to find the Klim line actually fit me, like it was made for me. None of my Klim stuff has ever leaked, and the movement I have is undeniable. I like the lifetime Gore guarantee, and all I've heard about Klim customer service has been top notch. It is expensive, but I believe worth every penny. I like lighter colors, and thats my only complaint, but nothing a hi viz vest wont fix. I have to replace mine once a year, becuase they loose they're brightness, and I notice this also happens with every hi viz jacket I've ever seen. my vest is only 30 bucks. But yes, to each his/her own.
  2. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    what are you wearing these days hardwaregrrl?
  3. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Still have the Traverse, but I have switched it to be my Rally racing gear, and have gotten myself a pair of badlands pants and have a jacket sitting in a shop, just waiting for me to put my money on it...but I just had to replace the control arm on my car!!!:becca There goes 6 hundred bucks...fuck. Oh well, maybe next month. You? I will say I had to go up one pant size in the Badlands, They are very straight cut across the hip vs the traverse.
  4. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    we have the Latitude suits now....I just posted in the Latitude thread our second opinions about that suit...Cheryl is going back to the Traverse until KLIM releases a lighter weight Latitude which I think they are soon. I am still on the fence. The Traverse fits us much better and is more comfy. We shall see what KLIM has in store for we ADV grrl riders. Lot's of rumors going around at the rally....March 2013 could be a good month for grrls :ear
  5. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Hmm.....I luckly know for a fact the Medium Badlands coat fits me very well. I tried the Latitude on and I didn't like the fit, and after wacking the holy shit out of my chest on some low braches, I loved the chest armor built in on the Badlands. Good for Klim moving ahead with a possible womens line. I'm used to modifying my mens clothes as womens moto and construction gear never fit me well or gave me proper movement.
  6. SuchesRider

SuchesRider Just Do It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are one KLIM'ing chick, Jenna. :lol3 Where are you buying the Badlands? Local place? :ear SR
  7. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Well, yeah. Kind of local....from an inmate for sure.! I don't want to say online, since I don't have the coin yet and I don't want my coat to go bye-bye.:D This shit is like cabbage patch kids in the 80's!!!!!! Fight Fight Fight in aisle 3!!!!!
  8. Minimike

Minimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Any girl that can single track an airhead could hold her own I think.

:D
  9. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    You blew my cover!:D. Still saving my pennies but first I have to pay my fee to race in Black River Stages! Hopefully more people will sign up for the msf class so I can get my moto fund going again. Haven't taught in over a month!:huh
  10. vibenation

vibenation Out of Rat Race

Oddometer:
    Well, I saved up the duckets and decided to blow them all at once on my Badlands suit.

Despite having no firm grand plans (or frankly the right bike) for a international riding adventure I figured it was high time to get the proper gear for the day that my time will come to hop on the bike and tour the world.

I rode the train up to Philly (theoretically to do the tourist thing with my fiance and mother) but first stop was a cab ride over to Revzilla to finally lay my hands on that which I had been Internet obsessing over for about six months. If you are on the east coast the store to me was worth the trip. Not a huge showroom, but none-the-less chock full of top quality gear and excellent customer service but I digress, on to the early review now that I have had the chance to do a few rides with the Batsuit.

I settled on an XL size grey Badlands coat and 38 regular size black pants after trying on a few different sizes. Although the store was well air conditioned, I started to sweat a bit as I walked around the store, sat on a few bikes and quickly decided that the suit fit right and I was indeed going to pull out the debit card and drastically reduce my available balance. Still not sure if I was just hot in the suit or sweating laying out the funds, but either way I walked away with two huge black bags stuffed full of armor :)

My first ride with the suit was on a sweltering 95 degree 175% humidity Central Virginia July day. After getting into the suit in the garage, and starting to feel vaguely like I would die of heatstroke I pulled out and was on my merry way. To my great surprise with all of the vents open not only did I not keel over but within about 10 minutes I had cooled completely off and even finished zipping the front of the jacket all the way up. Simply put if you are moving above 10-15 miles per hour you will not overheat, in fact it was quite comfortable temperature wise despite the suns best effort to cook me. Sit still too long in the summer and you will sweat, if you are moving be confident that your are armored up to the n-th degree and will not cook. Excellent ventilation, with the Jacket flowing more air than the pants.

In summation the Badlands Pro is top notch gear, by far the best thing I have ever tried but to be fair I have not tried other gear by other manufacturers in the same price-class. Pending a rainy ride (and frankly if I never experience another frog strangler now that I have the proper gear that is okay with me) and testing its waterproofing I give a gigantic over sized thumbs-up for the Badlands, and can not wait to take a long enough adventure to really test it out fully. Money well spent in my book.

Joe
  11. vibenation

Oddometer:
    Well, put the Badlands Pro to a pretty good test this weekend during the Shenandoah 500...the test was not a scorching asphalt slide (thank goodness) but it was a trip over the handlebars, where I landed about 10 paces from the bike after performing a miraculous Ninja roll through the really rocky downhill and landing on my feet. Naught a scratch on the suit and naught a mark on my body save a slight bruise on my shoulder....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvaSalKoMlA

Money well spent in my book still? Ya, you betcha.
  12. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW. I agree with everyone that you should go up one size in the pants. My normal size is a 34 waist in jeans but i found them to be tight :shog and a size 36 is perfect....:hmmmmmI hope this helps someone who is buying online... Bought mine from Mike at Tellico Outfitters, a big thanks to Tom for ringing me up!!!!! Hope the sale helps with the cost overun on the new basement!:lol3
  13. mrpincher

mrpincher Life is one long day Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Thanks for the info. How much extra room does the larger size give you??? Just enough or a little too much?

I'm sitting here in my house looking at a size 34 that I ordered. Yes, they fit perfectly. I can't gain any weight or put on any layers underneath. It saddens me to think I'll have to send these back to exchange for a larger size. I assume the larger size will be baggy??

How do you like the larger size?/

Thanks
  14. vibenation

Oddometer:
    When I bought my Badlands suit I went to Revzilla and tried on a few sizes...and I am very glad I did. I ended up going 1 size up from my pants size and very glad I did. I snagged a pair of the Klim suspenders to make sure they stayed up (I am not a fan of zipping the two piece together) at the right spot and they have enough room for some thin layers underneath, maybe jeans if I ate really healthy for a week or two.

Baggy? Maybe a little bit but not to the point I feel uncomfortable in them. The leg height with suspenders is perfect for over my boots, and the bagginess is not uncomfortable at all when riding nor enough to make throwing a leg over the seat of my DRZ400S a challenge. Your millage might vary but make sure you find your right fit. If you have to mail order them so be it but I hopped on a train to Philly to save that hassle and if it fits in your schedule and have somewhere "nearby enough" I would recommend you get somewhere to try them in person, in my book it is an expensive enough purchase to justify the trip.
  15. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes i was in the same boat. I was maxed out on the 34"s and could not layer anything under them. The size 36 fits almost the same but can be let out to layer if need be. I wear these pants and a Gerbing heated pant liner under and it doesnt matter how cold it gets... Order a size up i.m.h.o..
  16. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    Go to the closet and pull out your favorite pair of pants. Button the front and measure the inside of the waist with your wife's flexible tape that she uses for sewing. $10 says they're almost 2 inches smaller than the tag says.

Do the same for you Klim pants. I betcha they're almost spot on.
  17. Rogue Trooper

Rogue Trooper Ondaroad!

Oddometer:
    Really took some balls taking a felt tip to an expensive jacket, but youve improved it my friend. Looks much less flashy. Ive currently got the HG Tuareg suit and while in the cold and wet it is superb, Im in Central America at the moment and its been just too damn hot. Baja at 38/40 was ball busting. Im treating myself when I get back to this suit.......and a Sharpie!:wink:
  18. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country

Didn't really take balls, I knbew after I tried it on that it was a keeper, and I would have it for quite some time. Kinda like customizing your bike, no going back but it makes it yours, and thats the point. You will love the jacket! Any ride not being over a hundred degree's and it being worn.
  19. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea re the black marker. Looks a lot better.

One question. Did you check with Klim first about if it would affect any warranty situation? I know it shouldnt but you know what people are like about these things!!
  20. V@lentino

V@lentino V@lentino Supporter

Oddometer:
    In all fairness I wanted to add a post to close the lood on my experience. If you scroll back to the previous page, I detailled the nature of the leaks.

After I received my mended jacket (newly purchased -see previous post in question-). We were without rain in Victoria BC for about 3 months. So no chance to test. Until we finally had some rain earlier this week. Took the jacket out for a test and it was leaking again, left hand side at the pit of the elbow. Of course I was fuming, especially that I had requested that my then newly purchased jacket would be replaced not mended.

Sent an email to Klim Canada, conveying my disappointment and a certain sense of urgency, considering we are leaving for Baja from Victoria next week, meaning about 2500 km in the PNW at one of the wettest time of the year.

Long story short, after 2 days, a short email exchange, and 1 phone call from Klim Canada, I was informed that a new jacket had been shipped express, I should have it end of this week or early next at the latest.

I am fully aware that any manufacturing process may at times encounter QA issues, I just did not want to be left with a leaky jacket, after the unsuccessful attempt at repairing the jacket they did what had to be done.

Thank you Klim,:clap.

A final note, dealing with Klim Canada was a breeze, the Calgary based outfit was really professional, responded diligently to all my emails and called me at every step of the process (on both occasions) with updates.

Now off to Baja for a real test:wink: