NEOhio ADV & TAG!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by SlipChip, Sep 11, 2007.

1. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Good pics, I have old bike pics in the same spots. I'm originally from Cleveland. Emerald necklace and Cuyahoga Valley are very familiar to me. If you get down to Wayne County and points South pm me.
  2. Dennisb40

Dennisb40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, No sir, I have been solo since its been cold out, my friends who own bikes ride from July to august haha. Bike was stuck in the garage with the sheets of ice covering my driveway (slacking on snowblowing), it finally cleared.
  3. steveb126

Oddometer:
    I am probably the least useful of inmates on this subject, but feel like at least an Atta Boy is due from me. Thanks muddyrabbit !:clap
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    When it comes to defending your rights, be it trails, guns, or whatever, the only way for your voice to be useless is to keep it silent.
  5. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that not true 10 years ago? have OHV sales been declining in Ohio because of it or are we staying in line with with the rest of the US market? Do you see a significant increase in public OHV trails, statewide -not just in the SE corner, being a reality within 10 years? If not, is this projected to hurt sales? If yes, will this actually increase sales or just allow those who ride to do so more often and with less travel?

As for the key message to dealers, I think it would be:
    - explaining who / what OMTA is and the organizations goals
    - what has been accomplished
    - what hasn't been accomplished and why
    - what the plans / initiatives are moving forward
    - how the dealers can help OMTA achieve its goals
  6. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Cool bridge shot. I'm usually snowboarding there with my family every Saturday. This weekend we went to NY instead. Would love to hook up and ride sometime. I ride through the CVP almost every day on my way home from work. Got a new heated jacket liner in the mail from Revzilla yesterday. Itching to get out and give it a try. Hope to see you around.
  7. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
  8. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    I see I stirred up some opinions about dealerships in general with my State 8 post. I wanted to expand on my experience a little. I agree that sometimes the sales people show little to no real interest in people wandering the floor and the punks in at the parts desk don't want to talk to you unless you track race sport bikes every weekend, but my purchase experience ended well. I had tried multiple times over the years to get a test ride on a DL650 but never could seem to talk anyone into it. I was in just looking at the new 2012 one day when some guy I'd never seen asked if I was interested. I said yes but that I wasn't buying anything I had never ridden and thought our conversation would be over. He said that apparently I hadn't talked to the right person. He arranged a test ride with me at my convenience 2 days later. The bike was ready as he said when I came to ride it. I had expressed interest in my wife riding it with me but she was unable to make it. He asked where she was and agreed to let me ride the bike home so that she could see it and sit on it (I think one of our kids was sick and she couldn't leave and come to the dealer with me). I did just that. When I returned it he was nice and low pressure and wanted to know what I thought. I told him I wasn't buying it that day but that I was going to "think about it". (Usually that comment will end the conversation also.) I asked him if he had a card. He said he wasn't normally on the floor so let me go back and grab one. Turns out he was the CEO... That explains the good customer service. We spoke trades and he agreed on a value for my bike sight unseen. It was very fair as the bike needed tires and I'd been trying to sell it on Craigslist for a month or more with no luck at my asking price which was what I was asking for it minus the price of the tires I thought I was going to have to buy to sell it. We made a verbal agreement and he told me to come back whenever I was ready. A week later I went in to try to seal the deal. He assigned me to a regular sales associate (Russ) who turned out to be a good guy who I would now recommend. He always remembers my name, asks how everything is and seems genuinely interested every time I've been in since. I told him that I would not pay retail for it and told him my OTD price and that I also wanted the factory hand guards and center stand. He made some notes and left to talk to the CEO (Kurt? Sorry, I'm bad with names.) He came back a minute later saying it was a go as I asked. We filled the paperwork out and the loan application for Suzuki 0%. They called me back a day or so later to say it was approved. I went back and spent an hour with Ken in finances and left with the new bike after being given a full run down on everything by Russ who actually did a good job of it. I paid less than sticker OTD including all taxes, fees, registration, center stand, hand guards, and minus the value of my trade and got 0% financing to boot. I had a warranty issue with the rear axel threads which was promptly handled by service who was professional and prompt. I've done all of my own service otherwise so my experience there is limited but has been good. My only real gripe is the parts department. I used to drive 20 minutes north to Ohio Motorcycle on 271 to buy parts for my Honda just because they were competent up there. If you don't have a manufacturers part number and can't point out what you need on the exploded service view on the screen for them then don't even bother trying. They need a part number to sell you an oil filter and the whole time you are there the will ignore you and talk to their flat brimmed hat, tatooed sport bike buddies. That's another story though. This was my first and only new bike purchase so far but it was a good experience at State 8. Like anywhere else it's unrealistic to expect every sales associate to be polite, have the time to talk, and have 20 years riding and wrenching experience. I'm really pretty easily turned off by sales people or bad vibes but there's enough good there that I've kept going back. I found out through trial and error that you really have to know who to ask.

Story over.
  9. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
  10. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    I'm not normally a dealership kind of person. I'm a DIY kind of guy and work on my own bikes and fix my own cars. I buy stuff off the internet and do my own research. Dealer loyalty is not in my vocabulary. The one thing dealers have a monopoly on is brand new, unused motorcycles with factory warranties and financing. If that's what you're looking for then your up a creek without one. Normally I'm not a new bike guy either but if the price is right and they'll loan me the money for free, then what the heck.
  11. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Ohio Motorcycle, they really are a class act. Owner Rick Saltzman actually DOES actively support OMTA! Kieth is a great guy in parts. The new girl with the red hair, Sara, is young and while she does not have years of experience she is eager to learn and has excellent customer service/people skills. I actually bothered to send an email to Rick praising her.

It will be interesting to see if we pick up any new sponsors from dealers after Thursday. We do now have an offer from the dealers association to pass info direct to dealers for us.
  12. Dennisb40

Dennisb40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am always up for riding. Cvp is a pretty fun ride for it being in Ohio. I need to find some more day trip routes. All of my gear is from revzilla, love that site.
  13. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to the magazine. Ohio Motorcycle is a great place. Rick is great and Keith really knows his stuff. At the time I didn't realize they had another dealership that sold Suzuki's or I probably would have gone there. I was trying to buy from close by my house and State 8 is only 5 minutes away.
  14. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Remind them that there is more to life than chrome and bald tired bikes with bad ergos.

Ask if they'd be willing to place posters and such of the adv world showing people an alternative to mainstream advertising.

At IMS, Triumph had the Icon video called Portland to Dakar going showing two guys abusing Tigers off-road. That video drew a huge crowd every time it played. The Triumph execs were blown away and took pictures.

My other would be encouraging the owners to keep the noise down. Loud pipes don't save lives, riding smart does. When 60% of the Moto accidents involved DUI (Moto operators), it wasn't the pipes, it was being stupid.
  15. hateithere

hateithere anytime now

Oddometer:
    I deal with State8 pretty regularly through work, atleast once a week, For purchases large and small, and can say that in my dealings, they are a standup organization. They have helped us out quite a bit, they've gone above and beyond to be helpful to us, from the parts counter to the owner everyone has been very helpful, just my 2 cents
  16. steveb126

Oddometer:
    Old Bridge[​IMG]
  17. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you guys had good experiences at state 8. I don't care for ripping on most,or any place, but sometimes getting it out there gets a place to clean up their act.

Matt- thanks again for all you're doing for us as riders.
  18. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with SOMEONE who I think is going to be the first new sponsor under our new sponsorship program!
  19. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Where wold you like me to send your membership application?
  20. rellim_63

rellim_63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These OHV trails, i went to the website and didnt see anything about trail locations. Is this something you have to become a member for, or am i missing something?