Paging MrTwisty.....

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Blur, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help, Saturday! I appreciate the ibuprofen, sling, water, and shade. I hope you and your wife had a great ride back home. Hope to cross paths again.

Here's the vid: http://youtu.be/H0M27zErEBA

Can't embed on iPad.

Oh, and.....
    Broken collarbone in 2 spots (in X-ray, bone looks like a Z), at least one broken rib, fluid buildup at right hip. Doc says surgery likely for collarbone. I'm hopped up on hydrocodone until Wednesday when I see an orthopedist.

Lastly, Tellico Grains hooked us up! Let us enjoy the shade on their back porch, herb flatbread, pizza, cinnamon roll, lemon scone and more. They made a lifelong customer outta me!

Thanks again for your help!! :clap
    Vanishing Point likes this.
  2. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Twisty was assisting someone other than his injured wife after an accident?

:clap

That did look rather painful.
  3. MrTwisty

MrTwisty Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Damn! That did look painful. Hope the surgery goes well and you heal quickly.

How did you end up getting home?

Thanks Mitch. I'm just glad that Dan (BlueLightning) wasn't running video behind me when I dumped my wife and broke her elbow.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going fast on a big heavy bike?

Hard to tell why you went down, but that looks like a fun road.

Get the surgery, I broke a bunch of stuff and think I should have had things at least put in place so they line up a bit.

Hope you heal well, but maybe think about a smaller lighter bike?
    That worked for me.
  5. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine happened to roll up at Tellico Grains for lunch. After exhausting just about every option I could think of, he and his wife rode an hour and a half home, he packed his truck with a ramp and an overnight bag, drove the hour and a half back and then we headed to my house. Got home at 11:15 that night. Sure is nice to have friends! :clap

I love my big, fat dirty girl. She ain't the best on the dirt or the best on the road but she's the best all around. I'm not interested in riding a small bike 5 hours on twisties just so I can go a little faster on dirt. Next time, I'll go just as fast but pay closer attention to my line.
  6. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Did you get out of the track into the middle gravel there or maybe just go into the turn too hot? It's hard to tell what happened from that camera view. Road looks a little rutty also.
  7. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Yes, out of track. Let my attention waiver for just a split second. Got over in the sand in the middle, wheel locked up and I was sliding until I got to the sand-free left track where the available traction increased a LOT. Handlebars twisted and I went down.

I'll post realtime vid of incident when I'm able. It gives a better look at how fast everything happened.
  8. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    Damn Blair, i hate to hear this. I live not far from Tellico plains and would have gladly offered to help (as much as a gimp can) with the bike situation. Glad that part worked out for you.
    That Witt Rd. area is where i busted my collarbone during MMM. We were on one of those 4 wheeler trails that turn off left, when my dumb ass decided to do hill climbs. I now have a plate and screws.

Heal up and take it easy. The hardest part for me is not being able to ride, it SUX.
  9. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Which collarbone did you break? I busted the right side. If you busted up the left, maybe we can meet up and go for a ride. I'll work the clutch, you take the front brake and throttle. We can call ourselves "team plates and screws" :freaky
  10. ChromeSux

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Broke my left.

[​IMG]
  11. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blur, going down sucks, glad it is only a collarbone. Just out of curiosity, what kind of tires are you running? I'm going to add a Wee to the DRZ stable and am studying the whole tire thing.
  12. MrTwisty

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, here we go. :dhorse

What kind of oil were you using? Whatever it is, I'm going to stay away from that stuff because it'll put your ass on the ground! :lol3
  13. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    A skilled craftsman doesn't rely on his tools for good results. Instead, he knows what his tools are capable of and stays within their limitations.

No tire on the planet could've saved me from wrecking, assuming all other factors remained the same.

Because I love TKC-80's, that is what I had on my bike at the time :D
  14. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well Twist I have seen guys go off road on big bikes with street tires and really struggle. I agree TKS80's did not contribute(good choice)........Charlie Mike
  15. MrTwisty

Oddometer:

Just messin witcha Charlie Mike. Many a thread turn into tire & oil debates. Looking at the video, I doubt Blur, or anybody else, would have been going that fast on street tires. He was hauling ass.
  16. jdbalt

jdbalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if he used his front brake.
  17. ChromeSux

Oddometer:
    Anybody heard how he is doing? He stated in his post that he was seeing ortho doc on Wed.
  18. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Likely as his right foot came down very very early.
  19. Blur

Blur No It All.

Oddometer:
    Yes, I used my front brake. There's nothing wrong with using the front brake as long as it's used properly.

Thanks for your concern! I'm actually doing very well as I'm in very little pain. My ribs feel worse than my collarbone.

When I met with my ortho doc (an excellent doc whom I trust very much), he recommended surgery based on the X-rays from Sunday.....

[​IMG]

He ordered another 2 X-rays Wednesday and we were all surprised at the difference....

[​IMG]

We decided to give it another 10 days or so and have another X-ray done on the 28th. We'll decide on surgery based on what we see and how I feel then.

In case you're interested, I thought I would include some other information surrounding the circumstances. The fall actually occurred on my second attempt to brake. During my first attempt, I pulled the front brake lever and felt no sensation of slowing whatsoever. Considering the speed and the fast-approaching curve, I didn't have a lot of time to thoroughly analyze the situation. When I realized I wasn't slowing, I released the brake lever fully and reapplied. At that point, I had even less distance to slow, my attention moved from my riding line to my brakes. I'm convinced that if the brakes had worked as I expected, I would not have wrecked. Instead, it would've been just another one of the bajillion curves I've ridden through.

In an attempt to let those reading this thread know my riding background...
    I've been riding 25+ years.
    MSF instructor for 12 years.
    Trained as a MSF teaching auditor.
    Riding coach at the BMW Performance center from 2010-2012.
    I've taught at least 1400 people over the years.
    And yes, I'm an adrenaline junkie.
  20. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....Charlie Mike = Continue Mission....as in carry on, or in a nasal British accent, "As you were Guv'ner" :D