Juggernaut

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Velocity_Girl, Jul 10, 2011.

1. XRx

XRx Broken Filter

Oddometer:
    With some apprehension, I'm writing this. Apprehension because I don't want to hurt a small business. Also, you may have noticed my earlier posts of general satisfaction.

I have to mention a couple of things though. Maybe no deal breakers, but facts a potential buyer may be interested in, and may affect their choice.

As mentioned, I generally like the product, and was using it daily for street riding.

Well after some hot days, I decided it needed to be washed.

So looking for a washing instructions tag, I didn't find one. I did notice though a tag that said made in Pakistan. Okay no biggie, but I was under the impression that it was made in USA.

The second point is that since I didn't see any tag about laundering, I better do it on the delicate cycle. Well the back pad broke in half. That I was not expecting. Turns out that it was held together by a tiny circular ridge of plastic that captured the edge of the head of a flat head screw. VERY little plastic material holding the kidney portion of the back pad to its screw to the rest of it. And so it broke apart there, now completely useless, since I bought it mainly for the substantial back pad.

Maybe it would be fine in a crash, but damn it broke in the delicate cycle, and this is a front loading washer, so it doesn't even have the agitator in the middle to twist it.

All in all, no longer a satisfied customer, would take my money back if I could get it, though likely not.

Sorry to write the bad review, but it's the truth.
  2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, you contacted VelocityGear and asked if he would fix or replace it?

There have been a few here that have taken hard spills in these and been fine, seems odd that a wash would break it.
  3. XRx

XRx Broken Filter

Oddometer:

Well as I understand it there is a half price replacement program, so I don't expect a free replacement or a refund. I'd take a refund, but I don't expect it.

I sort of felt obligated to post that previous post, because I had also posted my very good impressions of the 'naut, so I thought I should also add my bad experience with it. If you read this thread or at least the posts in the last six months or so, you will see I have given lots of positive info on here. maybe I'll take pics. From a mechanical designer's perspective, I was not impressed at the joint construction there, after seeing it broken. Maybe I'll post some pics. But I didn't want this to be a total bashing post, just that I had to balance my positive comments because I found now, to me, negative.

EDIT: I may still use some of the padding, I like the individual pads very much, just not impressed how the back joints are joined now that I see it broken. Maybe all brands are like that. But I don't know about the rest, just what I've seen first hand.
  4. XRx

XRx Broken Filter

Oddometer:
    Okay, this is just FYI. Maybe it is sufficient design, or not, use your own judgement. I'm only being informational. It seems to me that it could use at least lots more plastic around the head of that screw. Where you see the split, that's where the screw head is held, holding the back banels together, by only the one screw, that's how it pivots. If nothing else the more I think about it, part of the problem is it's a flat head screw. Most screw heads are flat underneath, but a flat head is tapered or wedge shaped underneath, ideal for pulling through... https://www.google.com/search?q=fla...cp.r_qf.&fp=e45a0b501656d975&biw=1920&bih=911

[​IMG]

Again, purely infomational, because I believe I had suggested american made.

[​IMG]
  5. Inked

Inked Tattooed Biker

Oddometer:
    XR,

Mine broke in the same place after a couple months. I didn't bother fixing it after that. How easily it broke didn't inspire me to mess with it any further. I just moved along and looked for another---went with a Knox and have been wearing it now for two years no problem. The product is decent, but the joints do not bend well. That is how mine broke. I was bending it to pack it away for a trip and it snapped in half in one of the joints just like yours. Ohhh well...life goes on!
  6. DJFlowe

DJFlowe Ginger

Oddometer:
    Hi, Velocity Gear-

Even with some of the bad reviews, I'm interested in getting a Juggernaut. I'd need a XL/2XL with 6 plates. What's your lead time on that? If I order this week, when should I expect to see it? I see a lot of folks concerned with delivery times, and I want to make sure to set my expectations properly.

Thanks.
  7. Ruis_Rider

Ruis_Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd add my perspective to this thread. I ordered a Juggernaut last month. After about 10 days (paypal had been charged & an automated email had been sent on day one) I still had no lead time or shipping info, and I had not been credited the ADVrider discount. I emailed, called, and PM'd (through advrider) Velocity and my PMs were returned soon afterward. Five days later I received my order, priority shipping (to the East Coast). So, it took just over two weeks from the order placement to the receipt.

I am initially pleased with the quality of the product and the fit :D, but I have no ability to say anything about product longevity.

I did read about the slow response of the supplier beforehand as documented in this thread, but thought it was worth a shot (not to sound like I have lots of cash lying around! My wife's not reading this, right? :lol3)

After I received the product, I pm'd Velocity again to remind them to credit me the Advrider discount. This was done within 24hrs. :clap

Having worked for years at a small business that manufactured goods, I believe that Velocity is a very small company that has a good product (although clearly not perfect judging by the failure of that kidney belt attachment from being in the wash) but has poor response time and shows continued inability communicating with customers. If you can deal with it, it may cause you some heartburn (I was thinking, "will I ever see this thing?"), but once all is said and done, I think most people would be happy with the product. Otherwise, look elsewhere for something mainstream. Atomic Moto has GREAT customer service, BTW. The other end of the spectrum...

I emailed Velocity essentially this: Good product, but work on your customer relations. :deal

If they don't, I'm afraid they're not going to make it, which I think is a shame, but that's how business works...you have to keep your customers happy. :nod

-R
  8. DJFlowe

DJFlowe Ginger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, Ruis_Rider. I guess I'm on the other side of the coin from you... I've had some bad experiences with orphaned products, and the delay in communication and shipping makes me really jumpy.

I ended up ordering a A* Bionic 2 jacket when I didn't hear anything back from Velocity Gear, and I've already received it. Not shilling for anyone... everyone makes their own decisions and I hope I made the right one.

-D
  9. velocitygear

velocitygear Killer Moto Gloves

Oddometer:
    Just to hit on the pivot issue; I replace those free of cost. Also, the LIFETIME warranty is NOT just the half price replacement plan. That is; all of the photos above will be repaired free of cost. I'll either send you the required parts or you can send it in for repair.

It should be noted that regardless of the hinge, the back protector stays in place due to the kidney belt, etc. Also, this is Daineses original design, not mine. I've simply used their "old" molds for my product. Also, if you look at the first pages of this thread a customer who had a get-off had a hinge break as well but it did not change the outcome! Go look for yourself ;)

The truth!

I haven't packed it up, I've been offline for roughly 2 weeks plus, not really by choice. I am an honorable person and will take care of anyone's issues, I'm just hoping that most understand.

I recently stopped by an aquaintances house to speak with him in regard to some funds that I was owed. I loaned someone in my extended family roughly 3k with the only requirement that he payback 2500k. I went to his house to "discuss" the funding situation because he hasn't and will not return any correspondence. This is my wife's cousin to be specific.

Well, to make a long story short, I was assaulted by my wife's cousin and friend while trying to simply "discuss" the money owed and trying to come to some resolution. Not being one to "take it", let's just say that I had reached my breaking point. All I saw was RED and lots of it. Now I'm not a "fighter", I hate fighting, however when pushed into a corner I become a little crazy, to put it lightly. After the "friend" sucker punched me while I was sitting in my truck with my seatbelt on, the cousin thought he would give it a go as well. Unfortunately for him, he received multiple beatings upon the head while I remained seatbelted and it was clear this made him "unhappy"..

I've been riding my mtb to rehab my knee and upon retrieving his head from my arms, he decided to take my mountain bike out of the back of my truck and claim it as "his". Now I'm not stupid, I'm not about to get out of my vehicle when the odd's are against me and I was sure there were more "friends" inside the house. So, my vehicle became my weapon of choice, if you will. I didn't run anyone over but I promise you, you can't get any closer than I did.....

I still can't believe that I'm typing this.....:loco

Without getting more in depth, I'll just say that for 2 days I was willing to do WHATEVER it took to either get my money back or destroy an equal amount of property of his or who knows.

PLEASE REMEMBER; at this point, I had come completely unglued. If I was a gun owner, I probabvly wouldn't be a free man right now and that is absolutely no joke. This is an individual I've helped out before and the total and unbelieveable disrespect is unlike anything I've ever encountered. Normally, I could walk away from the situation but something about this specific instance took me to a place I've never been before.

My wife, hearing of the situation, made a phone call to my brother in Sac, Ca. and asked him to get me out of Spokane ASAP as she feared for what may come next. My wife has never seen me in this state and she could easily recognize that I had checked out mentally!

I will not see my $2500.00 it appears but thankfully I can swallow that without much trouble now. Last week though, he was either going to pay up one way or another and I was willing to bet my life on it!!!

So, as of today I am in Folsom Ca, getting my head straight and thankful that my wife and brother took charge of the situation.

I'll be back in Spokane next week as my son has a soccer game in Portland this weekend, where I'll probably meet up with my wife.

To me, this whole situation is unfucking believable! Situations like this is why I have a very small circle of friends, it seems that honor and integrity are things of the past!

Last time I checked I had over 300 emails, so patience is still going to be required. I was hoping to turn this thing around by this time but it looks like 2013 is the goal for a "reorganization".

yours truly
    jf
  10. XRx

XRx Broken Filter

Oddometer:

I'll gladly accept replacement parts to fix it myself, then I'll keep in mind to disconnect that joint next time I wash it. Fair point about the belt holding it in place BTW.

I had also asked about an extra set of buckles and strap, to make the chest protector optional. I had emailed, but well you explained above how that is sort of a quagmire.

But anyway I would like the replacement parts and strap, so if you can let me know the best way to get you my address without getting lost in the pile, that would be great. Sooner rather than later, since it's mid riding season, would be nice.
  11. Paddle007

Paddle007 Gun Toting Vegetarian. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My email is one of those many emails.

Sorry for the bad break and luckily for everyone in your circle no one took the big hit. Family stuff can be so difficult to deal with. Goodluck!

I ordered my Juggernaut last month and for what its worth I don't really need it until the first week of September. Get your head straight and listen to lots of Johnny Cash while your there. I once heard the live recording made inside the prison the first time the prisoners heard the song. Good stuff!
  12. velocitygear

Oddometer:
    Thank You for your post. It took me about 2 days to come back to "reality". I would have never lent him the money if I had any idea this was how it was going to turn out. He knew those funds came from velocitygear and that I would need it back ASAP. He told me 2-3 weeks. It's been about 4-5 months now! In any case, I feel better about the situation now and am glad to be rid of that portion of the family!!!

I have acquaintances that I've never meet through velocitygear that have more integrity than this individual! I should have trusted my gut...
  13. velocitygear

Oddometer:
    Decided to take my nephew to a full scale bmx track here in Folsom. Trying to get back in shape and al that. Didn't even think about bringing body armor.

and now I have a seperated collarbone :huh and one of the worst get-off's I've had since someone crossed lines over a triple taking my front end out MANY years ago.

can you say SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know what kind of rehab time to expect with one of these. It's seperated at the shoulder...
  14. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    Oh the irony! :rofl

I'm sorry I don't know the healing time involved. Good luck though:thumb
  15. velocitygear

Oddometer:
    SPENCER.... I know where you live ;)

:fyyff

I'm officially back in Spokane now and a huge mess to clean up. My goal is to be reorganized by 2013. I'm going to post an email address as well for people with issues that need to be taken care of ASAP...

Better yet, lets just use this one:

velocitygear@msn.com

FOLSOM BMX TRACK

HTML:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-T-Hu8wfFU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. zwieblekopf

zwieblekopf n00b

Oddometer:
    I was hoping that video was going to be of the crash :clap
  17. velocitygear

Oddometer:
    Looking for updates and comments on the Juggernaut. I'll be revamping the Juggernaut sometime in 2013 unfortunately, it's going to take longer than I had planned...

I also have some overstock of larger sizes 3x/4x and 7 plates. If you're looking for a deal and fall into the 2x-4x size range, shoot me an email. Delivery times are roughly 10 days from purchase date.

If you've sent an email with no response, please resend it:

support@highvelocitygear.com

thank you
    sincerely
    JF

****please post comments for the Juggernaut revision if you have any...
  18. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    Good day,
    I am relatively happy with the product quality is good. Ideas the chest protection is a little small for larger guy. I used to be a manly guy but now am older and larger in the mid section then I would like to admit.
  19. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    No revisions I can think of, I've ridden in mine quite a bit and love it.
    Took some time to get used to wearing so much armor, as all I used before was the protection in my jackets.
  20. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same as stated previously.