Suzuki Bandit

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Erase, Dec 4, 2008.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    $75 shipped.
    who has a 600???

2. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang! That's a great deal.
  3. OldManSandman

OldManSandman Not really old

Oddometer:
    Fellas, if you've got the time to post up: I understand the B12 has a vacuum activated fuel delivery system. My searches have come up with little in regards to running it out of fuel. For winterizing, I've been told that I just stabilize fuel, put the fuel valve switch to ON, then drain the carbs with the Drain Screws only (Part 25 on Fuel System 4-7 in the GSF1200S manual - my bike's an '01). I can't seem to run it out of fuel after switching the valve to any of the three positions (or did I not run it long enough?). Forgive the confusion on my end, I admit I'm not much of a wrencher. Last bike was FI, and previous to that I was on 80's bikes and rode on an off in the winter anyway.

Thanks!
  4. mikenj

mikenj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Bandit petcock SHOULD not flow fuel in on or res when NOT running(know to leak).......either drain each bowl on the carbs or pull and plug the vac line going to the petcock and run it dry in on or res.
  5. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Anyone looking for a 01 Bandit 600 motor complete + wiring harness cheap? I also have a complete exhaust system to.
  6. R0ssc0

R0ssc0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got these in the mail the other day.:clap

[​IMG]

Can't wait to put'em on. Looks like a pretty straight-forward install.They do eliminate the union though, replacing it with a double banjo at the master.
  7. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been eyeing those for several months now, let us know how the install goes and how they change the feel at the lever.:ear

-Jake
  8. oldschoolsk8ter

oldschoolsk8ter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats everyone running for hardbags on the MK1 bandits?

This is my current set-up although this bike is completely torn apart again and getting repainted/powdercoated/ rebuilt

[​IMG][​IMG]

Trying to find out what options I have if any outside of making custom racks like these ones.

Taking a x-country trip in the spring and thinking I might want a little more room??? these are GIVI E21's MONOKEY
  9. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no help on the bags. But....

I'm looking to upgrade my forks, what have you done here?
  10. oldschoolsk8ter

Oddometer:
    Those are gsxr1100 forks. Off of a 1992. You would need the following parts to do the conversion I swapped everything for about 500 including fresh fluids. By the time I sold my old bandit forks/fairing:freakythat got replaced I about broke even.

Gsxr 1100 fork tubes
    Gsxr 1100 top triple and lower triple clamps
    Gsxr 1100 fender and mount.

Press out your bandit stem from your lower triple and then press that into the gsxr lower triple. I replaced all the bearings when I did it.

The bandit brakes,axle,front wheel are all re-useable and bolt right up. You can even re-use the cable speed indicator and spacer.

It is the most straight forward swap I could find.:freaky
  11. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the monokey system and it works great for commuting. Sure does make the bike wide but half of the time I just run with the topcase for my lunch/rain gear. :norton

-Jake
  12. oldschoolsk8ter

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the E36 side bags but really like a top loader. How has the side loading been with the bandit? Does stuff fall out as soon as you open it?

I have a dry bag that I usually throw on top that serves as my "top case"
  13. YJake

YJake Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never had top loading cases so the side loaders are just fine for me, the PO included dry bags that line the boxes so if I have little stuff it goes in there so that it doesn't fall out. I love the system honestly. Before this I had always used a backpack and tail bag on trips, the monokey combo beats the shit out of that. :rofl

-Jake
  14. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone replaced the oil cooler recently?? I need to get a new one for my Gen 2. I was told there is some HEL model that would work well. Trying to get suggtestions together so that I can get the bike back on the road.
  15. R0ssc0

R0ssc0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed my MFW Adjustable footpegs today.

[​IMG]

I didn't go with the cheaper Buell units due to their lack of adjustability.

But these MFW units went on without a hitch. I did have to adjust the shifter though.

Took the bike around the block.They feel different, and they definitely are an improvement over the stock pegs. I went with the "racing" style of pegs since they were the cheapest and appeared to be the lowest profile offering the most cornering clearance.

Haven't yet tested these in the long run. I think if I plan on doing an Iron Butt next year, I'll definitely need to get MFW's highway pegs that attach to my SW-Motech crashbars.
  16. oldschoolsk8ter

Oddometer:
    Do you have to shift your toe inward to shift? I tried the buell pegs and took them off after a trip around the block because they moved my foot farther out due to the step in the peg.

I had to angle my foot towards the engine to shift and I did not like that feeling.
  17. R0ssc0

R0ssc0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately yes. I had to adjust the shifter to make it lower for this but I still have to move my foot towards the engine.

Everyone's tolerances are different I guess.
  18. oldschoolsk8ter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, unfortunately my feet are fussy:cry
  19. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    New to the Bandit 1200 world, just picking up a 2000 model.
    Needs alot of TLC starting with fork seals which I'm doing. Not going to do new springs or emulators yet but wondering if I should put heavier oil in or play with preload spacers any? Recommendations for cheap tricks?

Did find a good link from a different forum for PDF manual if anyone else is looking:
    http://theotherstyle.info/manuals/bikes&atv/Suzuki/Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit [1996 2000].pdf
  20. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Ok...so tackled the seals. Got everything out but having trouble getting the bushings into the fork lowers. It's the upper bushing, here is the video. Why won't it slide back into place? What am I missing or doing wrong?

This is where I'm at on both of the forks. You can see the top of the bushing that is immediately under the seal. Neither of them will seat.

[​IMG]