Schuberth Helmets for ADVRiders

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Nov 2, 2010.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Hope you found the answer before now but with your iPhone "connected", just press the SRCS Mobile button (middle one) and wait for the iPhone's Voice Control "ding". Then, speaking in a normal voice, say Play Artist blah blah blah. Or, Play Playlist blah blah blah, or say, Next Song, Previous Song.

This is all in your iPhone User Guide.

Cheers,
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks, Dan. I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Mike
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    By the way. . .the most important voice command is: PAUSE MUSIC. :evil

Cheers,
  4. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I've mastered, "I'm sorry, honey, I have a bad connection" so I can handle that one:D.

Mike
  5. mikemcgl1

mikemcgl1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone told me that XL, XXL, and XXXL are all the same helmet but different only in cheek and liner elements. Is that true. I own a C3 XL and need to go up one size. Thanks
  6. RevZilla

RevZilla Best on Two Wheels!

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,

It's true that Schuberth only uses 2 shell sizes for the C3 helmets and XL-3XL share a shell size. However, it's a combination of the EPS liner and comfort padding that make up the size difference, so changing the pads would not change your XL helmet into a 2XL. The comfort liners are also size specific, so you would not be able to fit a 2XL liner in an XL helmet. You can however change the cheek pad sizing to give more room around your cheeks if you think that would help.

Cheers,
    Ali
    TeamZilla
  7. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Two weeks ago, my year-old C3s sun visor jammed in the up position. I emailed Schuberth USA, and they sent a prepaid UPS shipping label so I could return it for service. Turnaround was only 4 days, and they repaired the sun visor and replaced the shield and Pinlock because of problems with it also. No charge.

Just thought I'd pass this on to say that Schuberth stands behind their products.
  8. mikegc

Oddometer:

Good information to know. I've called them a couple of time with user issues with the SRC unit. They were quick to help and their solutions were spot on.

Mike
  9. martys

martys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Geez, I wish I had thought to call them. I just assumed visors were disposable. I paid over $140 for a new pinlock visor, pinlock insert and sun visor for my one year old C3. :-(
  10. Rich Lew

Rich Lew n00b

Oddometer:
    I have this same problem with my C3. Someone who wrote a review for the C3 helmet on Revzilla suggested putting a furniture slider, which is a soft felt disc, over the faceshield hinge bolt inside the round recess. This apparently would create additional tension against the faceshield and make it harder for the wind to push the faceshield down to the closed position. I am going to try this out and report back, starting by putting one on the left side of the helmet. If you want to see a picture of the furniture slider, google "Waxman Furniture Slider".
  11. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    OK, it's obvious that a grunch of you have purchased the C3. I had one of the first Schuberth's many years ago and I recall it was kind of noisy.
    I've been happy with Arai Quantums for a while, even field tested one, ouch!
    I tried on a C3 last week at the dealer and was impressed with the fit.
    My question, is the new C3 comparably quiet as a well fitting Arai?
  12. ttpete

Oddometer:
    The C3 is the most quiet helmet I've ever owned. Something that is often missed is that the shield has a positive latch to hold it tightly closed. You have to pull it down hard until it snaps over the detent.
  13. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I've been using Arai's Quantum IIs for several years. They're great "hats." My C3 is definately quieter that the Aria . . . no question about it.

Mike
  14. ttpete

Oddometer:
    Everyone's coconut is different. I have no problem. If I had a hot spot, I'd take a pool ball and work the offending spot down just enough to ease it. That's exactly what your head is doing now, except that it hurts.

If you were a military pilot, you'd be having a wax impression taken of your head and sent off to have a custom liner made for your helmet. Too bad they don't do it for anyone else.
  15. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought my C3 was broken in as I had done many weekend trips and several day rides wearing it. Then, I went to the West Coast (from NC) and wore it every single day for a month. On day two, after a 600 mile day one, I had a "hot spot above my hairline in the center of my head. I looked and, sure enough, there was a little seam in there and I figured it was the culprit. I got a big spoon and mashed the heck out of that area and no more problems after that. No more problems after that.

Mike
  16. ttpete

Oddometer:
    The local BMW dealer had an open house/demo ride last weekend, and the Schuberth truck was there with loaner helmets for anyone who wanted to wear one during the demo ride. I thought that was a great idea, because one could be worn long enough to spot any fit problem. I won't buy a helmet unless I can put it on and wear it long enough to see any problems.
  17. Rich Lew

Rich Lew n00b

Oddometer:
    I tried this cheap hack and it worked. I bought the furniture sliders and built up a few layers until there was enough tension against the faceshield. Now it does stay open in the first and second positions even at highway speeds. Here is a picture of the felt pads with the faceshield removed. [​IMG]
  18. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Went from c2 to c3 last Fall - same size. First time I put it on stayed there all week. No hot spots, all :freaky
  19. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Guy Jinbaiquerre Monorail Conductor

Oddometer:
    Anthony, could I get your advice on a helmet fit question?

My head measurement is 60cm -- maybe just a hair under 60 if I pull the measuring tape really snug. I would characterize my shape as a medium-to-long oval. Definitely NOT round.

I wore a C3 in size XL (60-61cm) for two years. At first, it seemed like a perfect fit, but after about 4-5 months it started to pack out and get looser. After 1-2 years, it was clearly too loose and was moving around on my head. I replaced the padding (through your shop!) and that got the fit more or less back to how it used to be. But I also started looking for a helmet that might fit me better. My two top choices were the C3 in size L (58-59cm) and the Arai Signet-Q (59-60cm)

It was immediately clear that the Signet-Q fit my head correctly. Even pressure all around, no hotspots.

The L-size C3 at first felt very tight, but after some use, and removing the chin curtain, it seemed to adjust to my head. Now I think it fits great, EXCEPT for a very mild hotspot in the center of my forehead. It's not an immediate deal breaker, and on short rides I hardly even know it's there. But it does become moderately annoying towards the end of a full day in the saddle.

In other words, the L-size Signet-Q just fits, whereas with the L-size C3, I am trying to get it to fit. But I like everything else about the C3 so much (flip-up design, ratchet strap, sun visor, small shell size, light weight, overall look, and the general feel on my head everywhere EXCEPT the hotspot) that I want to keep trying to give it a chance to break in for me, and may even give it the spoon treatment in front if all else fails. (I wish Schuberth made 59-60cm size helmets!)

Also, although the Signet-Q fits perfectly now, I'm wondering whether it would just pack out over time like the size-XL C3 did, and become too loose (even though the Signet-Q is 1cm smaller than the C3).

Similarly, maybe the size-L C3 will pack out and fit my forehead better over time -- or does that not happen with actual hotspots in the same way it does with overall helmet tightness?

I'd be very interested in any advice you can give on this situation. Thanks!
  20. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Rich -- Thanks so much for posting this! I popped off the visor and figured a 3/4 or 1" diameter felt pad would work. Ran down to my local Ace Hardware and picked up a 12 pack for three bucks. I put two on each side, one on top of the other, to build it up as you described. I was worried that remounting the visor would be difficult, but it reinstalled just fine.

My visor stays where I put it up to about 55mph now, and I couldn't be happier!