Husqvarna TE630

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Tagati, Sep 18, 2009.

1. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can also get the compression adjusters through Husky. TE610 came with them in for a few years. Sometimes Husky parts are better priced than aftermarket.

_
  2. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    So i've been tearing apart my buddies 630 for the last 3 days and keep discovering more issues. The first is a problem that seems to occur fairly often, subframe bolts are all loose so i removed them, cleaned them and reapplied red locktite and torqued them down. upon further inspection i found cracks in 3 places on the subframe (the entire bottom of the battery tray and both sides of the rear seat support. the strange thing is that this bike has never carried more than an innertube on the rear fender, so i'm not real sure what the cause was? Either way, i'll be removing the subframe and welding/gusseting it to hopefully prevent future failure.

Next issue was that all of the rivets on the inlet side of the left muffler had torn out of the can so the only thing keepong it in place was the 6mm bolt at the midcan location. i had to cut the end of the muffler off to get some virgin material to re rivet it back together. since i had the chop saw out anyway, i cut 6" off the outlet side of the can and reattached the end cap. It looks and sounds real nice and isn't noticeably louder than before with just the cats removed. when i get more time i think i'm going to cut off the right side pipe and cap it right at the collector.

one other thing i've been working on is the forks. I cut a small piece of pvc pipe and put it on top of the spring as a preload spacer and the bike feels more balanced front to rear now. i was hoping to get more travel out of the fork by removing the spacer that you guys speak of, but i'm not positive of which part it is or what else needs to be done. is it the blue anodized spacer that is threaded to the top of the dampening rod? My buddy isn't really concerned with the travel, but he wouldn't mind gaining a little ground clearance if it is cheap/easy enough. a few pictures of what needs to be done would be great!
  3. NQJim

NQJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks ago I went into the local bike shop to pick up some oil and spotted a TE630 for sale among the secondhand bikes. I've been looking for something to replace my XR400 for longer rides. I did the APC Rally in 2011 on the XR and while it handled it well, I wanted something a bit bigger for next year's Rally.

I checked the TE over and took it for a test ride then I had a chat with Matt, the shop owner, and he told me that it was a consignment bike and that it came with a Safari Tank, Husky bashplate and rack, and Barkbusters. Power-up mod had already been done as well. I made a cheeky offer $750 below the asking price and a couple of hours later I got a call to say that the owner had accepted. So a few days later I picked up my new bike.

[​IMG]

Since I got the bike I've gone for a couple of road rides but hadn't given it a proper test so yesterday we arranged to go for a trailride with a few of the guys. We rode 180km from Herberton to Mt Garnet over mostly dirt roads with some tighter rough 4WD tracks thrown in. I was interested to see how the TE would go - all of the other guys on the ride were on 400 - 450 enduro bikes. To make it more interesting, I was leading the ride.

So how did it go? Surprisingly well, I thought. While it wasn't a really technical ride, it was certainly more suited to the enduro bikes. The TE was a big change from my XR or my WR300, but it handled the terrain without problems.

I want to do some work on the suspension to get it working more in balance. The forks were actually pretty good but the shock was a bit nervous on corrugations on the dirt roads and bottomed out pretty easily on the rougher stuff. The engine was great - everyone commented that it just seemed to be purring along and I don't think I got over 5,000 RPM all day.

The bike was obviously a lot happier on the open dirt roads but it handled the rocks, deep sand, tight twin-track and rough stuff well enough to make me think this is going to be a great bike for the 2013 APC Rally. I've been working my way through this thread for the last couple of weeks (nearly half way now), and I've picked up plenty of great ideas for improvements on the bike. There are a few things that I'll be doing before the Rally to get it ready:

• Handlebar raisers and bigger footpegs are a must. It was uncomfortable to stand up as I felt like I was bent over double, and I had sore feet from the skinny footpegs by the end of the day;
    • I've already fitted a Hammerhead +15 gearlever tip. The standard gearlever must have been designed by a Geisha;
    • Current tyres are a Michelin AC10 on the back and a Michelin Starcross on the front. They were OK, but I'll try some MT21s when they wear out;
    • I'll fit the Safari tank before the next ride and get used to riding with it. The bike was surprisingly nimble with the standard tank so hopefully the Safari doesn't mess that up too much;
    • I'll be ditching the twin pipes for an FMF Q4 single, and I'll put a tool tube in place of the RHS muffler;
    • I'd like to try one of the JD power surge units when I replace the muffler.
    Anyway, I'm very happy with the bike and I think it'll be perfect for the Rally next year. I've attached a few photos from yesterday's ride below.

[​IMG]
    Gearing up at the Herberton pub carpark.

[​IMG]
    Fun track leading down to the first creek. It's dry here at the moment - not one of the creeks had water in them.

[​IMG]
    Hill climb on the power line track. First real test and the TE passed easily.

[​IMG]
    Dry ridgeline. Bushfires came through here a couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    First regroup at the Mt Misery intersection.

[​IMG]
    More 4WD tracks.

[​IMG]
    Suspension testing...

[​IMG]
    Stopped for lunch at Mt Garnet.

[​IMG]
    Old mine in the hills near Mt Misery.
  4. Rus

Rus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great post Jim & congratulations on the bike. You'll love it, particularly after you change the pipe and add the JD kit, as it'll really liven the response up. You should also consider getting a Seat Concepts seat ($200 from the US - best value mod along with JD), plus reinforcing the rear subframe as it will break if you carry anything of substance on the rack.

I've had mine since new mid 2011, now done 11,000kms with the only issues being the known ones of broken rear subframe and steering head bearings.

Mine has the Arrow pipes & ECU, JD & 14T CS sprocket, and is beautiful to ride. It's just a little heavy in the really tight & hilly stuff, but nothing that a bit of attitude & momentum can't overcome.:D

Regards,
    Rus
  5. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Good choice :thumb

I think a 630 broke its subframe on the apc rally this year.
    Have a look here for the preventive fix.

My steerer bearings got notchy at 5000km.Plug the top and bottom of the steerer tube if you plan on riding in water ,sand etc.

Hopefully be testing a bazzaz ecu soon .Got that for the price of the jd.
  6. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Thanks Will_s! That was my creative contribution to the owners group. And it works! :thumb

And yes, at 3K miles I tore my stem head bearings apart and the lower was FULL of dirt and crap. What a mess. Cannot figure out how all that shit gets in there. :deal
  7. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Thru here

[​IMG]

I'm going to fill the slot.It's not needed.The steering lock is external on the 630 unlike the 610.
  8. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    You look like that actor Miguel Ferrer who currently plays on NCIC Los Angeles as assist. director Owen Granger
    [​IMG]

Looks like a interesting ride. I'll try to get to it this summer.
  9. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who still loves their 630???? I DO!!!!!! :D

Who's with me? :freaky
  10. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best 50/50 true dualsport ever made!
    Power, Suspension, 6 speed, FI what's not to love?
    I think that's why this thread isn't super active, it's a great bike and we owners know it. :ricky
  11. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, love mine still. Just having some new springs put in the forks, I swapped out the stockers for forks from a 950SE and boy it handles well
  12. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    You had yours up for sale....what happened on that? One of my local riding buddies was looking at it here.

And yes, I still love mine. I've had a chance to actually ride it like a dirtbike this season, and it's do-able but pretty heavy. Front suspension bottoms, needs work. Other than that it runs like a swiss watch. Doing prep for this year's Death Valley nOOB rALLy, 200 ADV'rs signed up for this one. Gonna be a blast.

I put about 4K miles on the front Scorpion Rally and it got worn enough that it was starting to feel squirelly on road so I put the Karoo2 spare I had on. It's great on road but not nearly the bite off. I think I'm going to try a Mich desert racing, install my third new T63 on the back.

Recently did an oil change, about a thousand miles, not too dirty, screens were all clean. Got a quarter turn on the right side subframe bolt, the one behind the brake switch - what a PITA that is. And got about an eighth turn on the rear sprocket nuts. Probably should remove those and red locktite them. All of the bolts for the skid and engine guards were loose. Got a eighth turn on the top bolt for the sub. Reinforce plates seem to have done the job, no wear, cracks, loosening, nada.

When tires get changed or it gets up on a lift, I check spoke tension by the tap method. There are always a few thuds that need tightening.

Steering head bearings were disassembled awhile back, completely loaded with dirt and debris. Cleaned it up and regreased. One of the bearing races has a very slight catch at center. At some point I'm going to want to replace them. If I run them loose enough to not feel the catch then I get the front end wobble over about 65mph. If I tighten them up I lose the wobble but get a very slight centering catch. It's almost like it was designed that way. If you haven't serviced your stemhead bearings, DO IT SOONER RATHER THAN LATER. There's a hole in the stem tube, presumably from an alternate model that used a steering lock pin and dirt gets into the bearing cavity through it.

Otherwise the bike has been flawless. Couldn't ask for a better dualsport motorbike. :thumb
  13. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had to replace a stem head bearing too.

My bolts are all loctited (the ones I can anyway)

Agree re spokes, they're always coming loose.

Front suspension - stock just isn't that good but heavier springs may work. They flex at high speed though, hence my putting a heavier fork in there. Much more stable at speed and better offroad too.
  14. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    Yup, it WAS for sale a few months ago.......job situation worked itself out!!:clap I couldn't be happier for both the bike and me! SOOOOOO GLAD I WAS ABLE TO KEEP IT!!! :freaky
  15. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Mine were done under warranty.
    The shop placed grease inside the tube where the slot is, maybe to catch the crap before it enters the hole.
    After that went to the local rubber store and grabbed a couple of rubber plugs , one in the top and one in the bottom of the stem.Racking up the km's to see if if doesn't happen again.

Yep still LUVIN the 630
  16. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Warranty, Pffft! Us Canadians don't get no stinkin' warranty. Our dealers don't even submit anything to Husky/BMW. Waiting since April for some word on replacing my guages. Probably SOL. Love the bike but the dealer/distributor support sucks.
  17. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did some preventative maintenance.
    [​IMG]
    Mighta scorched the bench...it'll buff out!
  18. Pcfly

Oddometer:
    That's not preventative.......it's a MUST DO!!!!!!

:lol3
  19. Goat_locker

Goat_locker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's in the Flea Market forum. 2011. 698 miles on it. Practically new. Check it out.

Thanks
  20. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tslewisz, wash your new aluminum with white vinegar, spray it with self etching black primer, then top coat with semi-gloss black. It will look factory!