Aarrffin' around Appalachia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Aarrff, May 18, 2012.

1. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Hey! Depending on when you did that, it could be a wild ride. Sometimes in the winter it s a mud slide :lol3 We missed seeing you at the RDV, had to stay close to home this year to help keep check on my dad and his broken hip. He is doing better now. He is 94 and hopes to get back home alone soon :lol3
  2. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bearcat!

Hey Tabor! Still riding that KLR? Hope you are well and no we have not made that hike. I be its a good one!
  3. localmoto

localmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    I agree completely Doug! It seems that a lot of the current generation just inherited some of this land and are not willing to put any labor into maintaining or fixing it up. I know a lot of it is just not cost wise to do but at least it can still look interesting if it is not just covered up with junk cars and stuff like in this photo. If a mobile home is all you can afford, thats fine but why make a mess of it. Like you say, even a few used blocks and some reasonable labor could make it a decent place to live. I would hate to get up in the middle of the night and struggle to balance myself to find the pot in there :lol3 I hope the tub drain is at the low end too....
  5. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
  6. _anatic

_anatic Plated

Oddometer:
    Good ones!!

Lots of good places to check out in there.

If I can just get out of Madison or Cocke counties. :lol3
  7. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    I thought I was the only one with a blue Darien. :D

:wave
  8. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Hey Shane, we need to go exploring sometime, seems there is always something new to find! Good to hear from you and hope all is well.

Hey Rick! I love that Jacket and pants! It's actually not too terribly hot in the summer. Barb and I rode through a down pour thunder storm, hail, lightning ( why stop and still be a sitting duck?...just as soon be a moving duck) lasted almost 20 minutes and the hail cleaned all the bugs off my windscreen but I was dry as a bone and Barb was soaked, I mean she was WET to the core :lol3 in her Kilamanjaro. I have been riding around here with guys from New England most of this week and last time I put it on, well, the smell is gettin' too familiar so guess its time for another wash and Nik-wax. See you soon maybe and tell Carol howdy for us. :wave
  9. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Back in the early part of May, mtngal and I decided to go check out the BMW Rally in Hiawasee Georgia at the Georgia Mtn Fairgrounds. One day is all we wanted at the rally so after getting chores done on Friday, we took off pretty early on Saturday morning for Hiawasee and naturally, we took some back-roads to get there. The plan was to stay the night in Murphy and then to do a little dirt exploring on Sunday between Murphy and Tellico Plains on the North River. This area is pretty familiar to me but Barbara (mtngal) had not been in there and this was to be the first weekend of several that we have spent in Murphy to explore this area as it is full of fun gravel and twisty pavements.

So, out the drive we went and onto the road near our Haywood hacianda.

[​IMG]

Aren't those mailboxes exciting? Well, we took a left on 215 and up the mountain for something more scenic and away from civilization.

[​IMG]

We took familiar roads that have been reported here in my day trippin a number of times so I am skipping the photos detailing how we got to Cashiers below which we pick up a route on the south side of Whiteside Mtn and work our way toward Highlands NC.

[​IMG]

This sucky road just gets worse as you go then the switchbacks got so intense climbing up into Highlands, mtngal just stopped taking photos and hung on :lol3

[​IMG]

Nice Sunny day to ride

[​IMG]

Horse Cove:

[​IMG]

We may need religion after that climb into town :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We head south on 28 then look for Warwoman Road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatever you need, this place has two of it...

[​IMG]

Gotta have a few barns and shacks in our report!

[​IMG]

We finally reach the Chatuge Lake near the rally site

[​IMG]

Always like to see Old Glory flying

[​IMG]

A few interesting shots taken at the rally.

[​IMG]

You know, I admire folks who just don't give up riding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some views around the rally site where mtngal had some earplugs custom made...not sure if they are for the bike or to avoid hearing my snoring :lol3 ( most all these photos are by mtngal by the way)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent this shot to kennyanc

[​IMG]

This is not easy to read in the photo but apparently someone cut this poor guys fuel line and cost him a days work so he just decided to give them a piece of his mind right there on the truck...I would feel the same way!

[​IMG]

After a few hours at the rally, usually enough for us, we head on up toward Murphy to locate a nice place for our evening meal and a room to rest and get ready for tomorrows off pavement exploring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Murphy, a Cherokee Art bear, and plaque about the trail of tears to Oklahoma which began just east of here in what is now Hayesville.

[​IMG]

Did not eat here but its is very good and we do eat here in the next report on this town and area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ate here as we wanted a big ol steak and could set outside in our sweaty attire and listen to music too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Music was nice, food very good, then we headed for our little motel room and rest. I will be back soon for part two of this little trip as we explore what I call "Hanging Dog" and beyond. :D
  10. daGeeeze

daGeeeze Geeezed lightning

Oddometer:
    MtnGal got more custom earplugs? Didn't she get some at the RA Biltmore rally? Another nice report!
  11. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Hey Pat! She did get some at Biltmore but she has not been too happy with those. There were two vendors there. The other one, a fellow from Marietta Ga, was at this one so we decided to get a pair from him after discussing her problems ( ear problems that is :lol3) Anyway, she is much happier now. This rainy weather is giving me some time to get caught up on my ride reports so I think I have the rest of this one loaded in photo bucket so I'll start on that tonight if so. Maybe see you before too long. Hope you guys have a nice 4th. Got fireworks going on down there on the lake?
  12. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    Oh baby will we have some fireworks. Two years ago the neighbors at the end of the court right on the main channel of Douglas Lake put on a show that would shame most small town. Last year one of them was away and the other was fighting cancer. Cancer has been beat back and the neighbor has returned vowing to make up for missing last year. The show they put on last time was like a 40 minute finale. With luck this year I'll watch from the water on our pontoon. That's assuming I can get it running in time. Beware anything that has VRO in it. :deal

Sorry to hear Barb's first set of custom plugs didn't work out. Glad this set is going well so far. I might need to get some for Natalie as she claims discomfort with any. We even found smaller ones and she complains.

Keep riding and reporting and hopefully we can get together.
  13. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    The next day, we got up in not too big of a hurry, had breakfast, and rolled out toward the Hanging Dog. My goal today was just to take mtngal over the mountain behind Murphy and show her the basics in Green Cove, then head north on gravel to the Cherohala, then Robbinsville, then 28 south, Franklin, over the mountain by Glenville, then home over the last mountain crossing Beech Gap. Simple enough :lol3 :eek1 Thats actually a lot of saddle time for a Sunday ride ....

Prerequisite shack

[​IMG]

Told you we were going there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We leave the known world behind :lol3

[​IMG]

Got knobbies?

[​IMG]

Almost missed this sign

[​IMG]

Actually, I could ride most any bike up through here ( but the owner may not be too happy afterwards :lol3kidding, mostly hardpack and they have paved the only tough section as it kept sliding off the mountain)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do wait patiently while she gets some extra photos, its only fair if she is going to put up with this bouncy long ride

[​IMG]

See.....shes happy!

[​IMG]

And so am I as this is my kind of riding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Few little puddles after recent rain

[​IMG]

I cannot believe the state of NC and US Forest service paved this thing, only about a 1/2 mile or less but they have had the road closed for several years. It was real tough even with me alone on the bike and last time I came through (around the closed signs but the forest service guy told me I could make it OK), I broke almost all the hardware holding on my skid plate so its just as well..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh gee! These darn sucky roads we have! :lol3

[​IMG]

Back on some dirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cute little camper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not know he was in front of us....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We came back in here a few weeks after this and went over in Bald River area and then up to a tower that proved to be an interesting climb for us...had to put mtngal off the mount in some places and make her walk :lol3 that report later...

[​IMG]

Ok we head north and up out of the river canyon toward the Cherohala as we need to quit messing around and make some time toward home since we have a big ride yet..

[​IMG]

Motorin on

[​IMG]

Look out, incoming! :lol3

[​IMG]

The big road which we jump on to make quick time to Robbinsville instead of the dirt tack ahead to Joyce Kilmer Forest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cherohala is a pretty road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near Robbinsville, I had to start dodging beer cans rolling across the road. Almost stopped a couple times as they were full :lol3 poor guy, losing his beer...he needs to fix that rig!

[​IMG]

Ok, so if you are a Dragon Slayer, I guess you need a mechanic? Who knows but I am glad we do not need his services..

[​IMG]

Whats a chicken got to do with....oh well...who knows. Got our bellies full of good mex next door to the mechanic and we are rollin again..oh...Iget it...the crown!

[​IMG]

Just what I need, more belly!!!

[​IMG]

Ok, lets see, gotta position myself for the best view of the vanishing point without hanging our heads over the yellow......oh heck, just ride...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rose Creek bridge near Franklin

[​IMG]

Climbing Ellijay I think

[​IMG]

I just cant avoid these sucky roads...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You gettin tired of these curves today? Not me, love'm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last crossing before home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its been a good day!

[​IMG]

Sun dropping behind the ridges now and she is still happy. What else could a guy want?

[​IMG]

Rollin down to the hacienda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, these darn roads...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, its been a screaming good day and our favorite bud eagerly awaits our return..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next report will be an exploration of Townsend Tn, Cades Cove, two dirt roads out of there and me gettin' arrested by Barney Phife :lol3

:wave
  14. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Checkout earplug superstore online. They have a variety pack and if you need small ones, they have them for children and some for motorcyclists, etc....lots to choose from. Enjoy your 4th!
  15. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love this thread. You live in my favorite place to ride.
  16. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    I am glad you like it! I enjoy sharing the fun we have and hope you can get up this way often to enjoy it too. Maybe I will have time to post up a few more rides soon but the improving weather has been forcing me out on the bike lately :lol3
  17. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    On one of our return trips from exploring out in the Murphy area, mtngal and I paid a re-visit to the Wayah Bald lookout tower. When we were there about a year ago, it was being reconstructed because the mortar used in the stone construction was failing and vandals had destroyed the wood top structure to the point that rot and other problems were making it unsafe.

In an incredible reconstruction, each stone was reused in its original location. This was done by mapping and photography as I understood and each stone and its orientation was marked. All stones were cleaned up and old mortar removed and here is the result and I say Kudos the the US Forest Service for this job well done :clap

[​IMG]

Some photos are the views from the tower and all taken by mtngal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got Igor who lives in the tower to take this photo of us :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking toward Franklin NC

[​IMG]

Eh...I think I forgot to smile....:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at a little lake further on off Explorer Rd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to visit Wayah Tower, take sucky Wayah Rd between Franklin and Nantahala to the top of the mountain then get on the wonderful dirt road where the signs indicate and I think the AT crosses there and some other attractions in about a 6 mile pretty level gravel jaunt. Restrooms now in the upper parking circle.

The tower has new pictorial maps in the top showing you which mountains you are looking at in the different directions. Amazingly, vandals have already begun their pocket knife attacks on these new exhibits!!! Ignorance abounds unfortunatley....

More later :wave
  18. daGeeeze

Oddometer:
    Oddly I was contacted today by someone in Franklin wanting my spare tire that I listed on C-list. Hm. Might be more willing to meet them. How packed is that gravel for my RT?
  19. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    The day Barb and I were out there, there were three other bikes out there and 2 were RTs and one a street Ducati. My opinion is its easy gravel, not much loose stuff when we went and only a couple switchbacks that are not real severe as the road does not have to gain much elevation and a slight drop in the road beginning about a 1/2 mile from the tower. Recent rains will settle the dust too. Nice views along the road as you approach the tower esp after the leaves fall. About a 3 minute walk to the tower on paved path from the parking area. Never heard of anyone having any security problems up there. Have fun!!!! Lots going on here this weekend so doubt if I'll be able to ride any....ride safe! let me know if you go, send a pic, post it here if you like!
  20. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    I have several good sized reports to post but here is a quick one from yesterday's dirt adventure. Me and Buddy ( maybe I should say Muddy) Bob got out for a long day of some pavements but mostly our time was spent on dirt and gravel. Did not have mtngal with us as she had other things to do so there were not many photos. We have had a lot of rain in this area so some of the "sketchy for big bike rides" that I like were really muddy and slick. Bob did not have on his knobbies so he had just dunked himself behind me in about a two foot deep mud bottom slog. He was up and had his bike running and walking it out before I could get a camera :lol3 Then around the bend was a tree all the way across the road and here are a few shots of that escapade.....

Bob as we take a few photos while thinking about our options:

[​IMG]

Tree is green with roots still attached and completely over the road...attempts to move it by hand impossible...

[​IMG]

Going back through the mud slogs after being about an hour down into this wild valley did not appeal to us and would have us nowhere near the remaining areas we wanted to explore. Close investigation of the tree told me that it was a "Stripped Maple" which is wood that is easily broken. The main tree section going over the three foot deep mud-filled ditch on the left was about 4 inches in diameter. We jumped in and started hand breaking, ripping and snapping off anything that would break. That left us a view of the ditch and we cleaned all the spoke grabber sticks and logs out of that and I put on my "Paul Bunyan" face and grabbed my trusty Leatherman :lol3

[​IMG]

Bob then put his helmet over the dangerous looking stub that was about head high for each rider. Since I had the knobbies, I went first, spun my way in the ditch past the tree, then with my front wheel, kept running to the right into the ditch bank until I carved out a "track" for Bob's un-knobby front wheel to catch in allowing him to climb out. My big adventure then came right out at which time I cam out so fast that I almost went down in the next mudder a few feet way :lol3

Anyway, Bob blasted through with his factory lowered GS and we were haulin butt looking for more fun. Our ride yesterday was a good 8 hour ride and he had a longer ride home in Tenn than I did...it was a very good day :rofl