ADV ride on Sunday, 06/23 for Charlotte NC & Surrounding Area Riders

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by VStromNC, Jun 20, 2013.

1. guiri

guiri Guest

I tried to post here earlier to see if you did go riding but the site was down or something.

I should be good to go for the next trip though and the distance is about right. I'm in such shitty shape that frankly, I don't think I can handle too much distance. ESPECIALLY in this heat.

I have to redo the ads for my bikes and put them up on different places. I also tried doing that this morning but like I said, I think the site was down.
  2. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Still messing around with Basecamp vs. Mapsource but use the link to download the GPX file as I cannot post attachment in this post. Mileage is not accurate as I started the route from 321.

Take a look. We should check out this route on our next ride.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJVblFHcWZLVlUxWjhUQw

Jon
  3. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:

George,

The track logs that I posted was from the 06/23 ride. I didn't go riding last weekend as I had household chores.:eek1

Ride participation has been slim to none but doesn't matter to me as I go riding on Sunday's when I can. I will continue posting and at least setting up a meeting point for the rides and hopefully, we can get a group ride going. I am also learning more about using BaseCamp, Mapsource, Google Map and experimenting as I go as I am planning an abbbreviated TAT possibly next Summer with a buddy.

Later,

Jon
  4. guiri

guiri Guest

It's cool bro. I really don't much care where we ride and I don't have ANY sense of direction anyway so looking at the maps will do little for me.

I just like getting out and out of the house and with good company, it's even more fun :)
  5. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I've also known many of the guys on this post for many years although I have not been able to attend the monthly meeting due to my schedule.

This is also a good source for riding around WNC and similar from Charlotte.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522269

Jon
  6. guiri

guiri Guest

Yeah, I should have been to that one a long time ago...
  7. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
  8. guiri

guiri Guest

Jon..start and end time (approx.) and how many miles?

George
  9. guiri

guiri Guest

Come to think of it, did you check on the weather for Sunday?

Hell, here in Marshville it's been raining for two weeks straight and it's raining again right now :(
  10. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    50% chance this Sunday. ETA same as last time- 9:00am or so. Firgure 240+ miles and be back by 5:00pm is the plan.

Yeah, I agree that we may get some rain.........

Let's see how it looks after tomorrow.

Jon
  11. guiri

guiri Guest

Yeah, I definitely wanna go but dammit if I want to ride all day with the rain gear. It's a pain in the ass and if it's a good chance of rain, I'm going to opt out.
    I Have the rain stuff but I feel so damn bundled up that I'm not comfortable riding :(

When I was slim this was not an issue but with 5x pants, I've got so much damn fabric around the nuts that it gets uncomfortable.
  12. StarWolve

StarWolve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a ride - After all this rain I've been wanting to get out. Is there anything on this ride that will too difficult for to handle on a Buell Ulysses with street tires? I'm comfortable on unpaved roads, but she doesn't have the grip for serious mud with the stock rubber. I'm trying to wear out the set that's on there and then I'll be looking for some scorpion trails or something along those lines.
  13. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Don't worry as it will be mostly a street ride. I have a Vstrom 1K and it does not like off road either.

We may run into a rain burst here and there but it will simply cool things off. I may bring my Frogg Toggs just in case.

Jon
  14. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    George,

I think we may hit a rain burst or two but nothing major. I ran into couple of rain burst couple of weeks ago and it was refreshing. I didn't even bring any rain gear last time.

Come on.

Jon
  15. guiri

guiri Guest

Ok, I'm definitely interested.

I can't look up the weather for that area since I have no idea
    where it is. What does it say, how much chance of rain?
  16. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of pace (casual, spirited, insane)? Not sure what's going on tomorrow yet but should know before morning.
  17. StarWolve

StarWolve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be there - probably going to wear the 2 piece mesh suit, but they're saying high of 85 tomorrow, and that might get a little warm. I guess I'll leave the bags on the Uly so I can bring rain gear and swap gear out as needed!

I really need to get some better gear for this area. I have an Icon Compound (Mesh/Leather mix) black 2 piece oversuit that I like, but it gets very warm. It was great for Central NY, but it's a little warm for CLT. And the Uly doesn't help - the rear cylinder gets very warm on that bike. I need to install a rider comfort kit and insulate the frame, which should help keep the heat down.

What's the plan for a lunch stop? I'm still learning the area so I'm always up for trying a new place, or can pack a lunch for the trail if that's the plan.
  18. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    50% of spotted rain. We may miss it all or we may get some but no big deal.
  19. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Casual but near spirited. Nothing wreckless as I ride within my limit and hopefully other riders within our group will do the same.
  20. guiri

guiri Guest

Screw it, I'm in.

Give me the hours where we meet and all that.

I'll bring a few hooks too if someone is interested.

Did you try yours?

Ok, rain clothes and then what, that's it, right?