SA Adv Riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BigM, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Desert Hack

Desert Hack git 'r done

Oddometer:
    Hello all, not sure how to go about posting a question about the Simpson Desert in 2013. New to this forum/thread. Can anyone give advice on this please. Thankyou.
  2. Fipsy

Fipsy form. gonescratchin

Oddometer:
    When you're due for your next service, let me know. There's a small shopping list you'll need to get(not expensive either), then you can bring it over and I'll get you through some basic servicing stuff (filters, fluids, pads, valve clearances and stuff).

Neither complicated nor difficult. I dived straight in, but it can be helpful if someone runs through it with you first time if you're not sure.

It's a great way to get to know your bike (car or whatever), and saves you a fortune.
  3. DR Ozzy

DR Ozzy Suzuki scum

Oddometer:
    I hope you will be using the genuine BMW tools like the dealer uses :D

[​IMG]
  4. OzJuJu

OzJuJu Team Barracuda

Oddometer:
    I though you said that he should use the genuine tools that work at the BMW dealer, I am sure they are nice fellas:lol3
  5. DR Ozzy

DR Ozzy Suzuki scum

Oddometer:
    Even Slater and Gordon have a lower hourly rate than a BMW workshop :D
  6. arborsmarty

arborsmarty WFO

Oddometer:
    Hey Semaja2,

I own an 800 hunj and my personal experience is that the service department is now lost on a PAR lap. The service was good and personalized when it was on Glen Osmond road but has got worse since the relocation to West Tce. I recently took me four calls and six weeks for some parts. Their spare parts are now dealt with by the car department!

I will get aftermarket parts from now on and look elsewhere for service. Let me know when you've found someone good!

Sent from my Crapple CryPhone using Craptalk
  7. arborsmarty

arborsmarty WFO

Oddometer:
    Are you offering service tutorials at your shed Gone Scratching?

8. Fipsy

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about bikes, but I believe it's $180/hr for cars!:eek1
  9. Fipsy

Oddometer:
    "Cert I - R1200GS Basic Bike Maintenance, University of gonescratchin' ":rofl
    Includes chain servicing/adjusting, upgrading rear sprockets, radiator coolant flush, spoke tensioning on cast alloy rims, and other useful skills :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil

But seriously,

IMHO No-one should have to pay the labour rates being charged for basic servicing (by some dealerships, at least) protocols given how simple they can be. I'm no expert bike mechanic, just happy to give another ADV'er a leg up if he needs it, and if I can help. (plenty of that goes on here, and just payin' my bit forward).
  10. semaja2

semaja2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last time I checked a R series they didn't have a chain drive ;) but in all honesty I would pay someone to just help me do the first service... Still be cheaper then BMW :p
  11. DR Ozzy

DR Ozzy Suzuki scum

Oddometer:

Yeah must say its very generous of you, we should probaly organise an ADV riders workshop day where everyone can learn more stuff about their bikes, adventure riders probably need to be more hands on when going bush in case you need to do road side repairs.
  12. emuooz

emuooz Emu

Oddometer:
    1wd loved that vid told bro Ozzie to go and watch it all we need is 6 more go pros a camera crew a helicopter a 1 million dollars from Red Bull and a whole heap more riding skills and we could do Ktm version :)
  13. Fipsy

Oddometer:
    That's a fantastic idea! Would be great to not only learn stuff about my own bike, but see the goings on on some of the others too.

I know of at least one bike mechanic(who I'd trust my bike with any day) on here (won't dob him in just yet!) - I'm sure there's a few whose expertise/experience we could call on.

Saw a pictorial on doing a clutch plate replacement on the GS, and bugger me if I'll be pulling my bike in half - (Shortybush - you can drop in here!) - definitely not for the faint-hearted!

I should qualify that I'm not getting at the idea of avoiding qualified mechanics, it's more about being able to do fundamental road-side repair/maintenance, and getting to know your way around your bike. I've done some fairly extensive 4WD trips (up to 9mo on the road), and learnt the value of being able to find your way around a mechanical problem (mostly other people's vehicles usually).
  14. Arek Kontrol

Arek Kontrol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ex-pat Poles in Adelaide Hills, South Australia
    You might have already seen... new GoPro HERO 3
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A3PDXmYoF5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. DR Ozzy

DR Ozzy Suzuki scum

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome :clap
  16. arborsmarty

arborsmarty WFO

Oddometer:
    I'm keen and due for a service...let me know where and when and the quantity and quantity of beer that is required!!

17. Fipsy

Oddometer:
    Errr....dunno! How many litres of beer does your sump normally hold? :evil

Were you planning to come up the Flinders with us? Saw your post in the Flinders Facts thread re being 'counted in', but no-one was sure for what!
  18. 1WD

1WD The Converted

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    I'm in Emu!
    Get your PR Dept onto it! :D
  19. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
  20. arborsmarty

arborsmarty WFO

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the confusion...I meant to say count me in for the classic next year.