Dakar Dazed - countdown to bankruptcy!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Sep 1, 2010.

1. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done. Earlier in the race, stage 2 or 3 I heard where Sainz made some comment about coming up on some of riders at the back of the pack.

Actually watching Sainz come through - he's definitely not at full speed.
  2. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The now heroic British Dakar tourist obviously grabbed the opportunity to employ the macro-zoom option of her camera while awaiting ASO medevac. That's way cool in my book. Makes you refocus away from acute pain and gets a grip on the situation :thumb
  3. topo

topo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Jen, very sorry to hear of your misfortune. But damn you must've crashed hard to pull the GPS/iritrack off the bars:eek1:D
  4. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    Then comes the fab question: Do they refund the deposit for renting the GPS Unik + Iritrack when you crash and drop out early? :wink:
    Edit: As mentioned below, I take it for granted they unmount and reclaim the rented GPS & Iritrack after such crashes/medevacs.
  5. SonHomme

SonHomme Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure they take the iratrack off when they evacuated someone. It is their equipment so I'm not sure they would leave it out while the bike waits for the sweeper truck.
    I might be wrong.
  6. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    :photog. Why yes, yes they do. Hey wait, was that Piglet I just saw fly over my house?:lol3
  7. F650Dakar_Norway

Oddometer:
    What, no empathy from ASO? Ze French must be a cruel lot...:lol3
  8. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Wow Doyle, I think you're right, they do look like they were taken at the same time! Cosmic convergence :getiton Like you said Jenny's famous and got 2 mentions in the Rest Day Eurosport coverage.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  9. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    It's uncanny, right. The position of the medic on the left, the way he's looking, the position of jenny's right leg, it must have been within seconds of each other that the photo's were taken. I guess it goes to show what a documented world we live in these days.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  10. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I say, well spotted Doyle! - I'd say you're absolutely right... so we have three camera angles of the same incindent!

As for the deposit on the Iritrack, as far as i know, you only forfeit it if you damage or lose the unit... so as has been said, once the position of the accident has been confirmed, and the medics arrived, there is no reason to leave the gear on the bike while the sweepertruck arrives...

It's funny that Topo mentions crashing so hard to the GPS/Iritrack unit comes detached - on the 2nd day I did just that (photo to follow of course), and the GPS unit actually disconnected from the pins that locate it - I couldn't believe it! Particularly as in that instance I not only walked away but even the bars didn't need straightening... they are tough cookies those WRs!

Jx
  11. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :wave:
    G' Mornin' Jen! How're ya feeling?
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ok, so here are some more photos from our self-less roving reporter who was literally 'on the ground' at the time...

Just before it happened - crossing the Chott and trying to avoid dust of other riders:
    [​IMG]

Ominous shot, but I would like to thank my sponsors etc etc.
    [​IMG]

Watching me watching you - that 'money shot' of the smoking paramedics:
    [​IMG]

en route to the helicopter:
    [​IMG]

That's the last view of my bike - and sadly I fear that is also my brand new Dainese Wave jacket they left behind in the desert - arrrrrgh!:
    [​IMG]

Gotta keep plugging the sponsors, even in adversity:
    [​IMG]

Self-portrat in the ambulance:
    [​IMG]

Guess this means I'm out (like I didn't know already!):
    [​IMG]

Jx
  13. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeebus! That xray looks like a spiral break - NASTY! :eek1
  14. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everything Jenny, its has been a trip!!!!:D

Get well soon, more wishes from OZ!!!!
  15. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    unbelievable shots, Jenny!
  16. Cup

Cup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. Heal up quick.
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ok, a few more shots from the first few days of 2011 - seems like a lifetime ago now!

Morning of the start in Parc Ferme - putting the final stickers on - ADV rider!
    [​IMG]

After finishing a muddy stage one, I took the opportunity to get the bike cleaned at a refuel stop:
    [​IMG]

Back at the bivvi - a wecome sight for both riders and mechanics each night... bloody red-bull girls were nowhere to be seen and had run out of drinks hours ago!
    [​IMG]

Morning of Day 2, just after leaving bivouac - fuel problem and bike wouldn't start/run - fortunately team were not far behind - that's me texting Julie to update Facebook btw!
    [​IMG]

Day 2 got a lot worse - just after refuel at KM 168, a sharp downhill bend was marked, but a bike passing me filled my view with dust and the next thing I knew I'd hit the rock face opposite and been catapulted into the scrub - miraculously, the bike suffered little damage other than to the nav tower and fairing panels (plus the cables from my iritrack and speedocap were ripped out):
    [​IMG]

Jx
  18. dallastx

dallastx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, JMO! Thanx for the updates and pix! You´re amazing, hope you´ll be back on yer feet soon(but don't rush it!'), take care!
    Greetz, Hans.
  19. Adventure Kitty

Adventure Kitty Tuna Gatita Blanca

Oddometer:
    A borken leg? That is not very nice. Piglet could probably finish the aventure but I do not think he could reach the ground (I know what that is like). [​IMG] Say hi to Piglet for me!

[​IMG]
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the updates, try to keep your spirits up. We're thinking about you and sending more good thoughts